Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Mazda 6, Touring, MT
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a potential Subaru buyer, I always do an extensive amount of research before making a large purchase :) I'm a bit nerdy. But it has come to a stand still, So I figured why not ask OB owners....

I have always driven Hondas, and I have never owned anything with AWD. I am looking into the OB for a few reasons. 1) I have 2 Siberian Huskies that I would love to be able to take to the snow and on camping trips, 2) Kids are coming into the picture in the next 2 years, 3) General life changes, tired of driving a coupe and not being able to accomplish simple tasks like buying mulch in large quantities, etc

After driving the OB, I admit I like it ALOT :29:. The ride is excellent and the room is incredible. I'm not sure how I feel about CVT because I have always driven manual transmission vehicles

In real world situations:

What are the advantages to CVT VS Manual?

How does the leather OR cloth hold up with pets?

How do the interior materials hold up to high levels of heat during the summer, and lowers temps in winter/fall?

Are the crash tests ratings available online? (haven't been able to find them)

Are repairs fairly decently priced?

I've heard that the advertised MPG isn't entirely accurate?

I am sure there is more I can not think of. I would like to say thank you in advance for any advice :D

Cheers

·
Registered
2018 3.6 Outback Limited, 2013 2.5 Legacy Premium
534 Posts
I am a potential Subaru buyer, I always do an extensive amount of research before making a large purchase :) I'm a bit nerdy. But it has come to a stand still, So I figured why not ask OB owners....

I have always driven Hondas, and I have never owned anything with AWD. I am looking into the OB for a few reasons. 1) I have 2 Siberian Huskies that I would love to be able to take to the snow and on camping trips, 2) Kids are coming into the picture in the next 2 years, 3) General life changes, tired of driving a coupe and not being able to accomplish simple tasks like buying mulch in large quantities, etc

After driving the OB, I admit I like it ALOT :29:. The ride is excellent and the room is incredible. I'm not sure how I feel about CVT because I have always driven manual transmission vehicles

In real world situations:

How do the interior materials hold up to high levels of heat during the summer, and lowers temps in winter/fall?

I am sure there is more I can not think of. I would like to say thank you in advance for any advice :D

Cheers
CVT = Slightly better mileage, no shifting, smooth ride, probably not as many potential issues as old regular transmissions. I drive manuals, so I'm not entirely sure here otherwise, perhaps someone else can elaborate...

I've got cloth seats and dogs and they've held up really well so far!

Interior materials are always nice and as expected in my Outback during all the four seasons of Utah. Again, just my experience.

Crash test ratings....not sure, Subies are safe, lots of airbags, solid cars, lots of stories of owners here and on their own website detailing how they really like how the car helped them to survive an accident and live to post here again.

Repairs...mine's an '11, no repairs yet, but from what I've seen, most Subies are fairly easy to work on and repairs don't come close to those of Euro company cars.

MPG, I've always gotten much better than my window stick claims. Drive it well without mashing the pedal and whatnot, and you'll be amazed at how well these cars do with gas, specially on the open road, or sub (constant) 55MPH speeds (like driving around Yellowstone National Park; I got amazing mileage in my several days there and barely had to top off afterwards)

Hope that helps!! Let me know if you have other questions.

·
Registered
'11 outback 2.5i premium '12 impreza sport limited
3,814 Posts
i believe you're confusing the MPG claims not being achieved with the impreza. i average 29-30 with my '11 outback 2.5i. my wife averages about 33 with her '12 impreza. lots of people complain about that, not so much with the outback. also until recently i only drove manual transmissions, now i love automatics, CVTs are even better. my dog stays in the back but i have neoprene seatcovers, so the cloth vs. leather is up to you. the crash ratings are very high. people have subarus for years, mine will probably be my daughter's first car(she's 2 now). all repairs get expensive, but even consumer reports listed subaru as the most reliable cars on the road, yes they finally top honda. ive owned lots of cars, i would never let a family member buy anything else unless they win the lottery.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the info. I really did enjoy the ride and Im sure my pups would love to go more places with me.

Does anyone know if the "wood grain" of the interior is able to be removed and/or changed out? If I get the limited that is literally the only thing I am not a fan of. I know its silly :)

·
Registered
2013 Outback 3.6R Limited w/SAP
177 Posts
Thank you for the info. I really did enjoy the ride and Im sure my pups would love to go more places with me.

Does anyone know if the "wood grain" of the interior is able to be removed and/or changed out? If I get the limited that is literally the only thing I am not a fan of. I know its silly :)
Yes. Several people on here have switched the wood grain for the aluminum look pieces. You can probably trade someone on here.

·
Registered
2013 Limited w/EyeSight
352 Posts
I can't make judgements on a car I've been driving for 5 months like I can with the ones I drove for years but it's great so far. We got one a year earlier for my mother in law. Her's has had nothing but balancing tires and oil change.

We found the car to be the only game in town if you want high traction conventional wagon or car that can replace SUV.

The many gen 1 - 4 Outbacks in my circle of mountain bike and ski associates seem good. My bro's 2004 has been good.

They don't have quite the polish or perfection of a Honda or Toyota but also have a better price.

You (OP) probably need to hone your web search skills. I found tremendous amounts of information on the car prior to my purchase and the crash ratings were just headlines in major newspapers.

·
Registered
150 Posts
CVT = My wife can drive it too :)

I like the cloth with kids. They don't have sharp claws, so I'm not sure which would be best. Do your pets sit in the seats, or in the cargo area?

My car is too new to tell yet... but my 2005 has held up well, but developed a few squeaks and rattles.

Subaru Performs Strongly In Rigorous New IIHS Crash Test -- CHERRY HILL, N.J., Dec. 20, 2012 /PRNewswire/ --

I think it depends on your mechanic or dealer. I'd say the AWD will add to the long term repair/maintenance costs of any car.

Again, I'm still in the early miles and won't comment. I expect to get 30mpg downhill in a tail wind, and more likely expect 28 hwy, 23 city.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the advice everyone. I have decided to go ahead and start the process :) I'm hoping to have the car soon. Anyone have any tips on getting the best price?

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Limited-NAV-Eyesight
7 Posts
I just bought a 2013 2.5 Limited this week. I actually had a hard time getting the dealer to budge a whole lot on the price because the cars sell regardless of price. I managed to get about $1000 off sticker, but thats all they would do. I did get them to throw in a few small options though. One thing that I didn't do that I wish I would have was to use TRUECAR.COM. They tell you what you should pay, and have negotiated partners that will sell it for that price. It may be worth checking into.

Also, for your pet delima, I would just recommend getting the seat back protectors, and then fold down the rear seat for the pets. Then, you don't have to worry about the seats.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5i
7 Posts
I got my '12 in late march of '12. I was able to get a little under 5000 off sticker. I suggest buying towards the end of the month. Also work the internet sales at multiple dealers/email saves a lot of time. if you negotiate by email and work for more when you get there in person. Also, try to find a friend or family member that works at a large enough company to do fleet sales. You can also deal with fleet sales at the dealer. Thats how i started.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
2,257 Posts
Thanks for the advice everyone. I have decided to go ahead and start the process :) I'm hoping to have the car soon. Anyone have any tips on getting the best price?
First of all let me say I am VERY jealous of your huskies. I have wanted one since I was a kid but I work too long hours to properly care for a dog - so Ive only had cats. Someday though Im getting a husky. There are many around me in the neighborhood and I REALLY want one.

That said - my best advice for getting the best deal is to be willing to drive and find as many dealers you are willing to drive to. I for one, would drive a few hours if I thought it would save a lot of money. Figure out what you want in the car - and go online and find all the dealers in a certain range that have the car(s) you are willing to buy (I cant speak for ordering from factory as Ive never done it). Do an inquiry from the website of those dealers and just ask them through the inquiry (email). Tell them what you are looking for and what the best offer they can give you is. I for instance, in Dec - emailed 10 dealers that had the car I wanted. (Im in So Cal). I found that most dealers offered about 500 below invoice just right off the bat - but then a few dealers offered way more for the same car - up to 2000 off invoice. Then go where you want with that offer in hand and ask them to match/beat it. Of course prices vary cause of options on the cars... But then you have a starting point and a good idea where the dealers will START - probably knowing you are emailing other dealers.

Also - get a financing offer BEFORE you go to the dealers from a credit union, bank, whatever. I have a very good friend that is a sales girl up at Honda Oakland. She said that dealers often can beat the offers people come in already having, but if you dont come in with an offer to beat - theres less incentive for them to go low on the interest rate.

If they can beat it, let them. If they dont get your financing, they will try harder to not budge on the car.

To sum up, let the dealers compete with each other. More dealers that you are willing to do to, is more competition, and we all know competition makes it better for the consumer.

For the record, I was a Toyota buyer till I wanted the 2003 OB. I drove it EVERYWHERE for 240,000 (would have gone much further if I had kept up better with its high oil use), and while I checked out similar cars at the auto show - there was NO comparison to me to get another car just like it - so now I have a 2013 and Im VERY happy with it.
Subaru makes fantastic cars!

good luck!

If you get a chance - let me know how your dogs do in the heat of the Central Valley. There are many huskies down here in So Cal - but people that DONT own them always say they wont do well in the heat.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
2,257 Posts
I'm not sure how I feel about CVT because I have always driven manual transmission vehicles
oh - almost forgot, I had ONLY driven manuals before this car I just got in December. I LOVE them. I HATE automatics (driven plenty for moments) and I do a lot of mountain driving and stuff. This was my biggest gripe with the 2013 OBs.
That said, the CVT is SO smooth I am not getting MOST of the annoyances I get with automatics. I still would like to shift - and the paddle shifters to me are NOT a good substitute, but I am actually accepting and enjoying the CVT more than I thought I would. Its noisy - and thats the thing thats been hardest to get used to - but I like the way the car drives for sure.

EDIT - I really should have read your post more carefully - lol.
As far as heat and the interior holding up. My 2003 OB was parked outside MOST of its life - and this is the "valley" in So Cal - PLENTY of sun and high heat. I DID have a windshield guard (whatever they are called) that I used probably 50% of the time parked in its life. It also freezes where I live a bit more than MOST of So Cal in the winter nights.
After 240,000 miles and 10 years, no cracks in anything, all the interior looked REALLY good - better than any of the toyotas I had and way better than the honda my roomomate had. My elbow in the last year cracked something of a support in the arm rest on the door. Not sure if the plastic under the surface just got weaker after 10 years or I just leaned my weight on it too many time pushing my elbow down while moving in my seat - I dont know. But the interior held up very well. Now, the 2013 is different material than the 2003 so I dont know - but I can say my interiors have felt a lot more sturdy than a lot of cars Ive been in - esp typical American cars.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5i
7 Posts
This sounds silly, but its true. the post from Seqoiuia reminded me. Look for coupons. I had one for $500 off that was on the back of my grocery receipt for one specific dealer(south coast subaru). All the other dealers said they would honor it. I also found one online, it was expired but they thru that in too.

I know dealers have several different price points
Sticker
Invoice
Dealer hold back

Im sure there are others.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So far I have been in contact with about 5 dealers within 100 miles of where I live. The pricing is significantly different even with the same exact options.

Thanks for the compliment Sequoia :) I love my babies. My male Kodi is 5 years old and the pup Kaia is 6 months old...they handle the heat very well. I have a plastic pool for them to play in when its hot out and plenty of cool water to drink :)

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,018 Posts
So far I have been in contact with about 5 dealers within 100 miles of where I live. The pricing is significantly different even with the same exact options.

Thanks for the compliment Sequoia :) I love my babies. My male Kodi is 5 years old and the pup Kaia is 6 months old...they handle the heat very well. I have a plastic pool for them to play in when its hot out and plenty of cool water to drink :)
Don't ya just love it when they blow coat?? :rolleyes:;) We've had Akita's for almost thirty years and am still amazed how much can come off one dog.:eek: Good looking Siberian's BTW.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oh, yes!! (enter sarcasm here) The first time my older husky blew his coat it drove me nuts. Fortunately as he has aged, I have kept him groomed monthly so he doesn't blow as much :) The pup has a soft woolly coat so I can only imagine what I am in for lol:29:

·
Registered
'11 outback 2.5i premium '12 impreza sport limited
3,814 Posts
i cant believe how many people "trade" the wood grain plastic trim. a can of spray paint is 5 bucks, there are plenty of much cheaper options, like that carbon fiber wrap stuff if you like. anyway the neoprene seat covers are a bit expensive, but worth it in my opinion, but that's subjective to anyone else. i got caltrend but i recommend wet okole. cant find wet okole thru google search but here is coverking Coverking Neoprene Seat Covers, Coverking Custom Neoprene Seat Covers for Cars, Trucks & SUV's if you do get those the rear seatback protectors would be pointless

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i limited
212 Posts
i cant believe how many people "trade" the wood grain plastic trim. a can of spray paint is 5 bucks, there are plenty of much cheaper options, like that carbon fiber wrap stuff if you like. anyway the neoprene seat covers are a bit expensive, but worth it in my opinion, but that's subjective to anyone else. i got caltrend but i recommend wet okole. cant find wet okole thru google search but here is coverking Coverking Neoprene Seat Covers, Coverking Custom Neoprene Seat Covers for Cars, Trucks & SUV's if you do get those the rear seatback protectors would be pointless
+1 for Wet Okole. I had some in my Tacoma for years. They hold up really well and if I didn't get leather, I would have ordered a set for the OB, too.

Subaru Seat Covers - Wet Okole Hawaii

1 - 20 of 25 Posts