Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
2,259 Posts
Thanks for the advice everyone. I have decided to go ahead and start the process :) I'm hoping to have the car soon. Anyone have any tips on getting the best price?
First of all let me say I am VERY jealous of your huskies. I have wanted one since I was a kid but I work too long hours to properly care for a dog - so Ive only had cats. Someday though Im getting a husky. There are many around me in the neighborhood and I REALLY want one.

That said - my best advice for getting the best deal is to be willing to drive and find as many dealers you are willing to drive to. I for one, would drive a few hours if I thought it would save a lot of money. Figure out what you want in the car - and go online and find all the dealers in a certain range that have the car(s) you are willing to buy (I cant speak for ordering from factory as Ive never done it). Do an inquiry from the website of those dealers and just ask them through the inquiry (email). Tell them what you are looking for and what the best offer they can give you is. I for instance, in Dec - emailed 10 dealers that had the car I wanted. (Im in So Cal). I found that most dealers offered about 500 below invoice just right off the bat - but then a few dealers offered way more for the same car - up to 2000 off invoice. Then go where you want with that offer in hand and ask them to match/beat it. Of course prices vary cause of options on the cars... But then you have a starting point and a good idea where the dealers will START - probably knowing you are emailing other dealers.

Also - get a financing offer BEFORE you go to the dealers from a credit union, bank, whatever. I have a very good friend that is a sales girl up at Honda Oakland. She said that dealers often can beat the offers people come in already having, but if you dont come in with an offer to beat - theres less incentive for them to go low on the interest rate.

If they can beat it, let them. If they dont get your financing, they will try harder to not budge on the car.

To sum up, let the dealers compete with each other. More dealers that you are willing to do to, is more competition, and we all know competition makes it better for the consumer.

For the record, I was a Toyota buyer till I wanted the 2003 OB. I drove it EVERYWHERE for 240,000 (would have gone much further if I had kept up better with its high oil use), and while I checked out similar cars at the auto show - there was NO comparison to me to get another car just like it - so now I have a 2013 and Im VERY happy with it.
Subaru makes fantastic cars!

good luck!

If you get a chance - let me know how your dogs do in the heat of the Central Valley. There are many huskies down here in So Cal - but people that DONT own them always say they wont do well in the heat.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
2,259 Posts
I'm not sure how I feel about CVT because I have always driven manual transmission vehicles
oh - almost forgot, I had ONLY driven manuals before this car I just got in December. I LOVE them. I HATE automatics (driven plenty for moments) and I do a lot of mountain driving and stuff. This was my biggest gripe with the 2013 OBs.
That said, the CVT is SO smooth I am not getting MOST of the annoyances I get with automatics. I still would like to shift - and the paddle shifters to me are NOT a good substitute, but I am actually accepting and enjoying the CVT more than I thought I would. Its noisy - and thats the thing thats been hardest to get used to - but I like the way the car drives for sure.

EDIT - I really should have read your post more carefully - lol.
As far as heat and the interior holding up. My 2003 OB was parked outside MOST of its life - and this is the "valley" in So Cal - PLENTY of sun and high heat. I DID have a windshield guard (whatever they are called) that I used probably 50% of the time parked in its life. It also freezes where I live a bit more than MOST of So Cal in the winter nights.
After 240,000 miles and 10 years, no cracks in anything, all the interior looked REALLY good - better than any of the toyotas I had and way better than the honda my roomomate had. My elbow in the last year cracked something of a support in the arm rest on the door. Not sure if the plastic under the surface just got weaker after 10 years or I just leaned my weight on it too many time pushing my elbow down while moving in my seat - I dont know. But the interior held up very well. Now, the 2013 is different material than the 2003 so I dont know - but I can say my interiors have felt a lot more sturdy than a lot of cars Ive been in - esp typical American cars.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts