Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a former allroader new to the Outback forum. I have had my Black 05 OB XT LTD for almost 2 weeks now and so far I am very pleased. I have been surfing the galleries to get an idea of what other OB owners have done to their cars and in doing so I stumbled across "jimmbo" and his wife's new OB as it looks just like mine other than the "visible" tailpipes. I assume as their car is in Australia, the exhaust pictured is not available in the states. Is that correct? Is their a company/tuner in the states who offers a "like" setup?
Any info would be appreciated.

·
OBXT Moderator, ,
2,417 Posts
Hey there exallroad. Welcome to the site. I know you'll like the XT even more as you use it. Even though we complain a lot about its shortcomings over on the XT board, the general consensus is that it is a very good overall package.

Is a "former allroader" a former owner of an Audi Allroad?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yep...former Audi Allroader

I had a 2002 Allroad with Milltek Catback exhaust, H-Sport Sway bars and 18" RS4 Wheels. Nice car...but expensive.

·
OBXT Moderator, ,
2,417 Posts
Re: yep...former Audi Allroader

exallroad said:
I had a 2002 Allroad with Milltek Catback exhaust, H-Sport Sway bars and 18" RS4 Wheels. Nice car...but expensive.
Yeah. I looked into it, in large part because of the road clearance which I need for my mile-long dirt driveway, but I could not justify the expense as compared to the XT. Also, the poor reliabilty record made me uneasy--I'm over 50 miles from the nearest dealer. But, I really enjoyed the test drive!

exallroad said:
I am a former allroader new to the Outback forum. I have had my Black 05 OB XT LTD for almost 2 weeks now and so far I am very pleased. I have been surfing the galleries to get an idea of what other OB owners have done to their cars and in doing so I stumbled across "jimmbo" and his wife's new OB as it looks just like mine other than the "visible" tailpipes. I assume as their car is in Australia, the exhaust pictured is not available in the states. Is that correct? Is their a company/tuner in the states who offers a "like" setup? Any info would be appreciated.
I can't find the picture you refer to. It's not in the gallery, so it must be attached to a post. Can you tell us which one?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I loved the car. I intended to keep it and buy it off of the lease (obviously considering the mods), but after weighing buy out cost and the potential for out of warranty repairs it was tough to justify.

You mentioned "shortcomings" in your initial reply, tell me about some of them.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The picture was in "jimmbo's" gallery. I will try to find it. I think I went to "Gallery" - "Member Galleries" - "Jimmbo" (it was the only Black 05 OB XT LTD in the gallery. Does that help?

·
OBXT Moderator, ,
2,417 Posts
exallroad said:
I loved the car. I intended to keep it and buy it off of the lease (obviously considering the mods), but after weighing buy out cost and the potential for out of warranty repairs it was tough to justify.

You mentioned "shortcomings" in your initial reply, tell me about some of them.
I'll do better than that. Just head over to the Outback Turbo board:

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&forumid=83

There are numerous threads that suggest changes, etc. The survey thread introduces you to most of the XT owners.

·
Registered
98 Posts
From looking under my Oz OBW, the 'visible ' tailpipes are just stainless trims bolted to the muffler exit. The actual pipe is only the size of the central hole, the rest is just dress up, there is a clamping bolt underneath holding it on.
Only lack of $ stopped me from being an Allroader.....but the Subie is very nice.
jp 05 OBW 5MT 2.5i

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Hi there exallroad, welcome aboard!

The Australian tailpipes won't work for us because their tailpipes go through the rear muffler as on the Legacy GT.

You can however buy some SS or chrome tips at most auto shops and bolt them on. They will still show as they will stick out under the bumper. You will lose a bit on the departure angle however.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
4 Participants
FastSly
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing