Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

So happy to join you guys on here as a member of the Outback family! Picked up an Atlantic Blue '06 wagon, 2.5i Limited with the 4-speed auto and 69k miles last Thursday. Would have posted sooner, but was kind of delayed with my Subaru's first hurricane :gasp: Thankfully, the new guy rode it out untouched. Going to take a ride down to some of the harder hit areas tomorrow to pitch in; it's mind-blowing how many people on Staten Island lost everything :(

After reading the forums for a few weeks pre-purchase, I know I've gotten my hands on a car that will last me a long time if I take care of it. Graduating from a sticker-plastered '91 Camry and in my last year of engineering school, it was time to get something a little safer and grown up (didn't say it couldn't be fun!). Looking forward to many great years ahead with the car! Plus, the horizontally-opposed motor and Subaru's AWD system get my mechanical engineer juices flowing (I'm a Formula SAE alum and I'm into vehicle dynamics - I eat up all the automotive engineering I can get my hands on)

Any solid tips for a new Subaru owner? I'm already planning on doing fluids, and I'm still up in the air about a Seafoam. Also want to do a paint touch-up and wax before winter. Trying to squeeze a second set of wheels and some Nokian winter shoes into the budget is hard when you're in college :(

Thanks for any info in advance! Hoping this is the first of many posts!

·
Registered
14,354 Posts
Welcome to the six star club. I bet you'll have some fun in the open source logging/tuning threads. Some really good stuff is hatching over there.

Just to toss it out there- the atlantic blue pearl touch-up paint I bought at the dealer didn't come anywhere close to matching my car. I wound up having some custom-mixed for chip repair and it's much better. This is why they say to test an inconspicuous area first!

I think seafoam is a trademark for snake oil but I seem to hold the minority opinion on this board.

There are good threads about 4eat maintenance on this board. The two things I'd point out right away is the need to do several flushes in order to get most of the volume cycled out, and that the 4eat is picky about fluid- it is worth buying subaru HP juice at the dealer.

Go the extra mile on your 105k maintenance, timing belt, tensioner, idlers, water pump & t-stat. Too many people remember to change the belt at 105 and pat themselves on the back and then get a wrecked engine at 130k anyway because of a lousy tensioner or a seized water pump.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! Already ordered the OBD to USB cable with the right protocol, and got some PIAA silicone wiper inserts while I was at it. I actually ran a 56-channel data acq system on the FSAE car, so I can't wait to dive right in. For a mechanical engineer, I'm pretty familiar with CANbus.

I'll definitely have to get a custom touch-up paint mixed; my brother recommended a local guy who mixed some for his red Mustang and it came out really well.

Quick question: I've been reading all of the torque bind threads and they're really freaking me out :gasp: Haven't noticed anything unusual while driving, and tried the test in a fairly flat parking lot. I needed only a little acceleration above idle to get the car moving at full steering lock (900 or 1000rpm, if that). I tried it again in a lot with a pretty steep grade as far as parking lots go, and the car gave two shudders while trying to turn uphill, again at full steering lock. I'm trying to not worry too much, as I've given it throttle in fairly tight cornering situations only to have it hold my line and turn in just like I was asking. Thinking I'm fine for now, but that I should keep an eye out for any issues.

Still getting used to the new car - noticed what I'm guessing are the ABS check and shift lock solenoids clicking when starting to move at low speeds. I'm coming from a 91 Camry in which EVERYTHING made noise...reminding myself I'm not taking delivery of a 2013 and that this car had been loved by someone else before me! haha

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
2 Participants
icravewaves
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing