Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I just purchased my first Subaru to be my commute/dd/eventually show car (years from now).

It is a 1998 Legacy Outback Wagon Limited Automatic with 102,000 miles 2 owners.

I’m very happy about the purchase as it is my first Subaru and a classic at that.

I’ll be here pretty frequently looking through mod threads and for sale threads.

I picked this over an older Honda due to the AWD. Hopefully I don’t regret it.

Thanks for looking!

Dan

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
Someone did a feature video on a very similar car - wonder if you have the same one?

·
Registered
2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5L XT Limited
155 Posts
Great Choice, Subaru has perfected their AWD feature in their Transmissions.

·
Registered
2011 Tribeca, 2005 Legacy GT
74 Posts
Congrats, I love this generation of BG/BK Legacy/Outback, owned 2 myself. Like any old car I'd check on any maintenance that it needs, even based on time rather than miles since it is a low mileage car. Timing belt/spark plugs every 60k miles/5 years, etc.

·
Registered
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
2,192 Posts
Which engine? The 2.2 is damned near impossible to kill - I've massively overheated mine twice, and it is still running great at 202K miles.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Nice Ride. Still my favorite body style. That has the 'all weather package', which is great for winter climes: Everything Subaru Outback Archives 1998-1999: options, prices, history.

devil's advocate: That has the EJ25D/2.5 4-cylinder engine (unless swapped for the EJ22/2.2) that is known to blow Head Gaskets (HG). Yours has low miles for the year, but may be about due for HG and it's due for timing belt kit- do the whole kit, including the water pump, as the belt usually doesn't break but the idlers/pullies - Do. For the HG, watch for bubbles and oily residue in the coolant overflow/reservoir tank. And on Subies that I've had (too many) the temp gauge sits just below half-way. If it ever goes above that...start with the easy stuff - coolant flush, T-stat, - but watch out for it spiking and overheating. If you catch it B4 it gets too hot, it's 'just' a HG job; overheat it bad or multiple times and the rod-end bearings get fried and you're into a new block/engine.

Hopefully all that was done b4 you bought it. If you go to 'mycarfax.com' and create a free account (yes, free), add your OB's VIN you can view its Service History - if the previous owners took it to shops that reported to Carfax. It doesn't provide any owner or accident history, but nice to know if it's been maintained since birth.

The AWD is better than Honda's 'Real-Time' system but if you want to take it a step closer to your Cherokee, look up the Diff Lock mod. The OB has open diffs front, center, and rear, so technically you can get stuck with one wheel in the air.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts