Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been a week since I bought my '12 OB 2.5i and second time taking it out, but never took the obligatory scenic background photo till now. Needless to say, I'm in love with this car (especially considering I'm upgrading from a '06 corolla). Anyone have tips for a newbie/recommendations for accessories and must-buys for a bro on a college-student budget as well as things that aren't so essential to buy that I should hold off from getting? I wanna go off-roading more but I don't want to be reckless about it before seeking help from people who definitely know more than me. I am very new to even owning a car so please drop any advice, even if it seems elementary, cause chances are any information is new information to me. Cheers from SoCal!

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited. White, Sunroof, 2.5, CVT. Bought 2/15/11. Love it! Broke 109K, 2/20.
448 Posts
Can't help you with any advice on your questions (I'm a 'keep it stock' kind) but I CAN say

WELCOME and enjoy. I've had my '11 since new and the clock is somewhere around 109,000 miles and she's still going strong and is comfortable for long trips.

Reactions: kingkrungle

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i 2003 Legacy L special edition (retired to backup)
1,257 Posts
do the maint as required and the car will reward you with a long service life. cheap out on maint and it will cost you

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
do the maint as required and the car will reward you with a long service life. cheap out on maint and it will cost you
I’ve been hearing that Subaru’s require maintenance faster than other cars (I.e. maybe every 3500 miles versus the normal 5000 miles). Is that true?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can't help you with any advice on your questions (I'm a 'keep it stock' kind) but I CAN say

WELCOME and enjoy. I've had my '11 since new and the clock is somewhere around 109,000 miles and she's still going strong and is comfortable for long trips.
Haha I’ll probably be keeping it stock for a long minute. Have you encountered any problems on trails where you wish you changed anything?

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 Limited
945 Posts
Regarding maintenance: Not true that it's more frequent than other brands. Oil change for the 2012 is every 7,500 miles or 7.5 months, whichever comes first. I make it simple and do it every spring/fall so every 6 months. Consider ignoring SOA's claim that the CVT fluid is "lifetime" and do regular drain/fills (every 60k or so, more frequent if you use it under extreme conditions). Remember to drain/fill the front/rear differentials at least once if it's never been done. Remember to do the timing belt and idlers/tensioners at 105,000 miles or 105 months, whichever comes first. The maintenance plan that came with your owner's manual should be your guide for the rest. Consider doing more stuff yourself, and don't buy into dealerships' "nn,nnn mile service" as they're just money makers. Instead, look at the maintenance plan to see what's needed at each interval, and ask for those specific services to be performed if you're not doing it yourself.

As it pertains to offroad I don't have much experience but I'll relay the one thing I know from living in the snow belt: The most important part of handling different conditions is the tires. For me it's putting on winter tires to cruise through snow and ice. Similarly you should consider all terrain tires if you're serious about offroading. There are plenty of other mods too that others with much, much more experience than I have could share. You can also look at some of the old build threads here, use the search function, and get inspired.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Regarding maintenance: Not true that it's more frequent than other brands. Oil change for the 2012 is every 7,500 miles or 7.5 months, whichever comes first. I make it simple and do it every spring/fall so every 6 months. Consider ignoring SOA's claim that the CVT fluid is "lifetime" and do regular drain/fills (every 60k or so, more frequent if you use it under extreme conditions). Remember to drain/fill the front/rear differentials at least once if it's never been done. Remember to do the timing belt and idlers/tensioners at 105,000 miles or 105 months, whichever comes first. The maintenance plan that came with your owner's manual should be your guide for the rest. Consider doing more stuff yourself, and don't buy into dealerships' "nn,nnn mile service" as they're just money makers. Instead, look at the maintenance plan to see what's needed at each interval, and ask for those specific services to be performed if you're not doing it yourself.

As it pertains to offroad I don't have much experience but I'll relay the one thing I know from living in the snow belt: The most important part of handling different conditions is the tires. For me it's putting on winter tires to cruise through snow and ice. Similarly you should consider all terrain tires if you're serious about offroading. There are plenty of other mods too that others with much, much more experience than I have could share. You can also look at some of the old build threads here, use the search function, and get inspired.
Thanks for taking the time to reply! I’ll definitely be looking into the owners manual. I appreciate the advice!

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i 2003 Legacy L special edition (retired to backup)
1,257 Posts
I’ve been hearing that Subaru’s require maintenance faster than other cars (I.e. maybe every 3500 miles versus the normal 5000 miles). Is that true?
yes it is true that Subaru is more conservative in their maintenance, it is not excessively so...i change oil every 6K on all of the Subaru i own (3 of them) I do a 40/60 split on driving. oil change interval on my 14 legacy change time is 6K versus every 10K on the newer Hondas...no way I would go 10K on an oil change....even with synthetic...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts