Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Outback 2.5i - AT / 1997 Legacy Brighton 2.2 Wagon -MT
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

This seemed like a good place to get a post in so I can get to my 10 posts needed to follow links.

I am new to Outbacks but have owned a '97 legacy Brighton wagon for quite some time (EJ22/5MT) and have done a lot of work on it myself.

I just bought a new to me 2005 outback 2.5i and have already replaced the struts, added a hitch and modified the factory roof rack so it works better for carrying the canoe. Looking forward to see what other customizations I can do to this thing. Any good ideas? I thought maybe 3D printing a replacement center console and turning it into a glass cockpit with a 9" touch screen to replace the radio and other stuff... After all, who wouldn't want to see their fuel rail pressures and timing advance along side a streaming movie while texting and drivin.... *crunch*

:)

Reactions: seancpdx

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
8,277 Posts
Welcome. Head gaskets fixed on this 2.5i, I hope? What about the timing belt status?

I thought maybe 3D printing a replacement center console......
You've caught my interest - there's a few things I would change on mine, mainly improving storage. You have access to a large enough 3D printer to do the main part in one piece?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure about the head gasket but the timing belt was done less than 10K miles ago. The PO was an old guy who took the car to the dealer and did everything that they suggested it needed at every maintenance interval plus it was lightly driven. Head gaskets a problem on this beastie I assume? I will have to search the archives. Unlike my older EJ22 I know this is an interference engine. Any tell-tale signs of a failing gasket other than the usual signs of coolant in the motor oil? Noises? CEL's or anything like that? I will double check the records.

I don't think I could do a center console print in one pass unless I quit my job (so I have the time) and make good on my threat to build a giant 3D printer that will have approx 4' of circular print bed with 2.5' height. Right now I am limited to about 8" cube shaped printing area. Could still do a 2 part console though and connect it all together after the fact. It can look really nice if you are careful. I am intending to print a cup holder stabilizer thingy that appears to go in the funny pencil box like drink holder cubby. Not sure what the original looked like but I am not really trying to find out since it is more fun to come up with my own piece and then compare it after the fact.

On a different note- is that a Bengal driving your car? I have 2 Toygers that I have taught how to drive the sailboat but not the car yet (although one prefers to navigate by sitting on the chartplotter most of the time). Its a more cost effective alternative to self driving cars... :)

Thanks for the reply by the way!

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
Unlike my older EJ22 I know this is an interference engine.
1997 Subaru EJ22 is an interference engine, so yours is an interference engine unless it's been swapped.

Any tell-tale signs of a failing gasket other than the usual signs of coolant in the motor oil?
These are easy to tell - they leak externally on the bottom head to engine mating surface. Can be either coolant or oil, your year tends to usually be oil. You'll see wetness and eventually dripping and then evenutally blowing on the exhaust where it burns off and smells/smokes. They can be driven 10's of thousands of miles after the initial leak starts, it'll start out really slow - like just discoloring the head and cam case around where it starts leaking.

rarely they'll push exhaust gas into the coolant causing hard to track down overheating issues. but that year you have almost never does that unless the gaskets were previously replaced.

change the coolant and make sure it has subaru's required coolant conditioner in it - $2.50 a bottle at the dealer. that mitigates external coolant leaks. there's nothing you can do for the external oil leaks. but like i said - you just keep the oil topped off and drive it a year or 3 while you plan a good repair.

usual signs of coolant in the motor oil?
fortunately the headgaskets on that engine don't fail that way, nor do they loose compression. it's a rather "mild" failure if we can grade them.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
I'd pull the timing belt and replace all the pulleys and tensioner that weren't replaced during the timing belt job. Dealers only replace the belt or sometimes the belt and tensioner, but usually not everything. The loose grease over time and they do fail. The lower toothed idler (about $40) is by far the most common to fail. If it fails they usually bend most, if not all, the intake valves.

If you can't do it yourself then you'll probably just bite the bullet and take your risks. If that's the case I'd replace the current timing belt a little early - like 50,000 miles instead of 105,000. Then replace the belt, pulleys, and tensioner during that time.

It's actually an easy job on subaru's, can be done in under an hour - call it 2 or 3 for a first timer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you Idosubaru for all of the great advice!

I am happy to hear about the failure mode of the head gaskets. I can tell you that the engine compartment is dusty but completely fluid free- no leaks anywhere.

Call me paranoid but on any Subaru I prefer to change the timing belt every 60K miles and I did it twice on my EJ22 motor with no problems except a stuck crank nut the first time that I had to run to local shop to help me break loose (6 foot cheater bar and a sledgehammer didn't do it!). After that it was all pretty simple stuff.

On a different note do you have any good advice about when to change front and rear differential oil? There seems to be plenty of advice regarding tranny fluid servicing here so I won't go into that but I haven't seen much on the diffs.

Thanks!

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,123 Posts
I think if you were adventurous, and took some measurements, you could go into a pick and pull and grab a similar width center console out of a minivan, and marry front of a subaru one to that,...maybe mounting it with some wood on the existing rear subaru mount holes.

(just a :2cents: idea, never seen it done,...but minivans and SUVs may have taller consoles).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Eagleeye!

Woo hoo! Post #10! Now I am a somebody! :)

Printing the center console is just one of many crazy ideas I had when i started wondering how on earth somebody would change out the stereo when it dies since the stereo appears to be fully integrated into the console. If I decided to go that route I would probably try to incorporate other unique features such as a refrigerated compartment that pops a water bottle out of the side of the console on demand, a disappearing keyboard to augment the glass touchscreen and perhaps a laser based mosquito death ray for when I am camping and sleeping in the car (although I can already see the possible demise of my headliner and my marriage if that were implemented). But can anyone REALLY have too many laser death rays in one's car? I think not...

But seriously, what DO people do when the stereo dies or they want to upgrade? The OEM stereo is not at all standard. Do you have to mount the replacement in the glove box and leave the dead original there to fill the holes? Curious...

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,123 Posts
Hi Eagleeye!

Woo hoo! Post #10! Now I am a somebody! :)

Printing the center console is just one of many crazy ideas I had when i started wondering how on earth somebody would change out the stereo when it dies since the stereo appears to be fully integrated into the console. If I decided to go that route I would probably try to incorporate other unique features such as a refrigerated compartment that pops a water bottle out of the side of the console on demand, a disappearing keyboard to augment the glass touchscreen and perhaps a laser based mosquito death ray for when I am camping and sleeping in the car (although I can already see the possible demise of my headliner and my marriage if that were implemented). But can anyone REALLY have too many laser death rays in one's car? I think not...

But seriously, what DO people do when the stereo dies or they want to upgrade? The OEM stereo is not at all standard. Do you have to mount the replacement in the glove box and leave the dead original there to fill the holes? Curious...
yes, you are listed in the phone book now, = 10 posts = somebody.

I was thinking more about the rear of the center consol where you park your elbow, in my comment.

but, what do people do with subarus with double din head units, and swapping to different styles.
= shop places like crutchfield.com and get cubbies / blank panels/ different mounting brackets.

@rasterman use to have in his signature options / upgrades for 2005-2009 like yours

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I like that you got my reference to Steve Martin in the Jerk! Kudos for the video clip! :) Sadly if you remember this scene you are old too!

I found the double din mounting kits just after my previous post but thank you anyways!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts