Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, thanks for a great forum. Looks like a lot of good stuff here.

Wife wanted a wagon. Subaru was the first thing on my mind. Always wanted one, and we dig the Outback. Found an 08 with a Jasper that supposedly has about 9 thousand miles on it, but is just past its warranty. Probably someone tired of upkeep, I guess?

Needs a few things, as any used car might. Got an oil change and one axle replaced due to a torn boot. After some reading, I see many keep theirs. Maybe I should've, but didn't. Said to be a "new OEM" one, and I trust the mechanic to have got something that isn't super generic.

Also getting a few other things done like front oxygen sensor, which it looks like I can do myself. Fresh tires. Airbag recall. Airbag solder fix.

Anyway, from another thread, I thought I'd start my own so as not to tread on original post.

I can't tell yet how bad these brake lines are, as the angle was awkward and I didn't have much time yet to get a better look. Doesn't look like stainless though.

Thoughts on coating more, or having them replaced? Will try to get better pics at some point.

One pic is upside down due to camera flipping it.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
It is VERY common to spray corrosion inhibitor annually here in Vermont. They put car on lift and use a wand to spray frame, brakelines and other metal components.

If you wish to DIY, there are many available options. BEWARE: The best coatings remain 'oily' and do not harden. (the hardening type tend to hold moisture underneath and CAUSE corrosion)

HINT: The product named "Fluid Film" is a good choice. ==> https://www.fluid-film.com/automotive-applications/

I personally use Fluid Film when I have wheel removed and liberally coat everything metal.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. Have checked that stuff out and it looks really cool. Will have to look at a few cans of the stuff at some point!

So far, I've got
  • one fresh axle due to boot tear. Not green can, but said to be OEM. Kind of dark grey.
  • fresh tires. Not great ones, but they'll do for a while I hope
  • front o2 sensor replaced. That was fun. The radiator overflow rubber nub started squirting out a little fluid right as I broke the old o2 sensor loose. Weird coincidence, but glad to spend a couple bucks finding and fixing that the plastic had been worn to the point of springing a leak like that. Didn't lose much fluid at all. Not even enough to put any new back in.
  • airbag light fixed with quick solder touch up.
No more lights on dash! Smoother running now for sure. Small wins that are nice.

Few things finally done on it, but have noticed a couple small chips in the paint right past the windshield (no sunroof). One is lightly trying to get some tiny bubbles near it.

Really hopeful a body shop can fix for not much money. I'm less worried about a few chips on the hood, as that could be fixed later or just touched up. Also a few other scuffs that I'm hopeful a good shop can polish up. Hope these minor body issues don't cost much.

Then there's the suspension. While tires were being done I got a good look. A lot of little parts and bushings and probably ball joints and things will need to be replaced, and I'm not looking forward to knowing what that'll all cost.

Sigh. So it goes with used cars sometimes. Still, I do like this vehicle and hope it's worth getting it back to being a little nicer.

·
Registered
12,308 Posts
do you already know that car probably has a recall for the rear brake lines, is that why you're looking/asking?

nice pictures. they're tucked in there and still hard to tell exactly what's going on. to the right of the first picture looks like a piece of rust and maybe a tab to hold the line in place that looks maybe rusty?

ideally you wipe/brush it off and then look and see how much of that is dirt and how much is rust. if it's flaking at all - it's going to get worse and will leak.

being new, presuming you'll want to keep this for awhile, those will need addressed during the life of your ownership.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I'd really like to get a better look at the little junction area and see how much of that is really rust.
Taking to dealer tomorrow and will see if I can ask them to take a close look at this. There was only one "open" recall which is for the airbag. This brake line recall seems totally weird to me though. Test and maybe coat? That's a scary answer for such a critical component. That's the answer I've seen on the brake line recall. That they only check it out and don't usually replace with stainless steel lines.

On that topic, I also stumbled upon a thing last night about dashboard replacement which I'm also going to ask about even though it's past the cutoff date. It does seem really sticky. Small hairs seem stuck to it after cleaning.

Either way, yes, we would like to keep the vehicle running for some time. It seems like it is worth a little attention and care beyond what the last owner or two gave it.

·
Registered
187 Posts
If the brakeline recall isn't "open", it probably just means that a lazy tech pumped the brakes to check for pressure and then blindly sprayed some inhibitor coating onto the lines. It's a temporary measure, at best.

My recall was "closed" on the brakelines 2 yrs ago when they did exactly that. Brakes failed completely a few months ago. Subaru replaced them. If your car has spent any time in the "rust belt", the lines will very probably fail at some point.

·
Registered
12,308 Posts
Yeah it doesn't matter as replacement is the only long term answer unless you feel like looking into yearly treatments. I was curious how you came to ask as that's a very hidden and small, platform specific area to stumble across. i assume you found that recall rather than are facing any symptoms?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Scary. I hope I can actually talk to someone at the dealership who understands this issue and get some help. If they're really rusting and so prone to failure I hope it's something that can be scheduled.

Yeah I found a post somewhere mentioning an access panel past the rear passenger wheel. Opened it and tried to get a couple pictures (not the most successfully, but somewhat).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
4 Participants
newtotheparty
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing