Subaru Outback Forums banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Outback 3.6R Touring
307 Posts
Yes and no. It was heavily revised for Ascent/Outback duty
Heavily is probably too strong a word. The more important point is when this heavy duty CVT was developed orginally, it was developed with the 3.6 in mind, which had less torque and a more linear/even power delivery.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Dropped it off at the dealer today. Will keep you guys posted.

Did the whining/whistling noise you had behave like the one I'm having? (begins at above 20mph, constant regardless of throttle, goes away when coming to a stop)

I'm tempted to just wait it out too instead of the dealer techs tinkering with it but I don't want to risk ignoring something that can cause issues later.
It is normal, whether it is the engine or CVT or both I don't now. I do no for a 42k car it's out of character. Give me a modernized 3.6 six with a 8 speed trans over the current 2.4/HDCVT

That would be the new 2020 Highlander

·
Registered
368 Posts
If your transmission does what is happening in this video, you need a new transmission.

What's that sound starting at 0:23? Don't tell me the transmission is making that noise, lol.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT, in Crystal White Pearl
698 Posts
Very interesting video!

My understanding (perhaps incomplete) is that the problem on the 2019 Ascents was due to some number of defective wiring harnesses to the CVT (connecting various controls and sensors, including a pressure sensor). The wiring harness problem by itself would result in warning lights on the dash (including the AT temperature warning light), and perhaps put the car into some form of "limp home" mode. And in some cases, cause some more permanent damage to the CVT, leading to the slipping belt issue (with the whine and the increased engine revs shown in the video).

My other impression is that the bad wiring harnesses that led to the problems had been "solved" by the 2020 model year, possibly due to the wiring harness vendor correcting things..... That's not to say that there aren't other things that could cause CVT issues, including belt slippage.....

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Very interesting video!

My understanding (perhaps incomplete) is that the problem on the 2019 Ascents was due to some number of defective wiring harnesses to the CVT (connecting various controls and sensors, including a pressure sensor). The wiring harness problem by itself would result in warning lights on the dash (including the AT temperature warning light), and perhaps put the car into some form of "limp home" mode. And in some cases, cause some more permanent damage to the CVT, leading to the slipping belt issue (with the whine and the increased engine revs shown in the video).

My other impression is that the bad wiring harnesses that led to the problems had been "solved" by the 2020 model year, possibly due to the wiring harness vendor correcting things..... That's not to say that there aren't other things that could cause CVT issues, including belt slippage.....
Yes, our 2020 Outbacks should not have the same problem, and the software has been updated for higher clamping force is my understanding - but - I thought it was useful to know what a slipping belt sounds like, so that people hearing "normal" CVT noises don't think there's a problem.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx Edition, Storm Trooper white
157 Posts
Hey, do we also have the CVT transmission oil cooler as well in our OB? I saw something on YouTube with some tech car guy driving the Accent that has the CVT transmission oil cooler so it does not peak 185F & burn the CVT...

Also, you would think by now, Subaru or even the other companies should have bullet proof CVTs by now. Its not like these transmissions came out last year. Very surprised. Yeah Jatco CVTs suck in the Nissans but ours aren't Jatco (I hope not).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey, do we also have the CVT transmission oil cooler as well in our OB? I saw something on YouTube with some tech car guy driving the Accent that has the CVT transmission oil cooler so it does not peak 185F & burn the CVT...

Also, you would think by now, Subaru or even the other companies should have bullet proof CVTs by now. Its not like these transmissions came out last year. Very surprised. Yeah Jatco CVTs suck in the Nissans but ours aren't Jatco (I hope not).

It's my understanding the CVT's are built by Subaru, sorry cant respond regarding oil cooled CVT tranny's. Just haven't done any research on that.. However its a good point you bring up,but Accent and OB are two different vehicles, so further research is needed to get a correct answer.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts

Yes, our transmissions are not Jatco, and not a push-belt. It's a LuK pull-chain transmission designed and built by Subaru in collaboration with LuK.

The part below is identified as an ATF cooler

The part below says it's an oil cooler, but the hoses say ATF?

There's another "oil cooler" that the oil filter sits on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all. After getting some useful pointers in this and other threads I wanted to chime in.

I have a 2020 Onyx Edition XT that I bought in mid-November 2019, currently has ~2,500 miles on it. I'm not a "car guy" so, never having had anything with a turbo in it (or anything even remotely advanced, frankly), I assumed that the odd speed-dependent whine I heard in the car when I test drove it (alone) was normal. [...] Today I took the car to the dealership (Liberty City Subaru in Libertyville, IL) and after all of 20 minutes examining the car they told me that it needs a new transmission.
I wanted to follow up on this: I dropped the car off with the dealership on Tuesday the 10th and got it back yesterday, Tuesday the 17th. They gave me a loaner (a stripped-down '19 Outback which...OK, it was a nice comparison to what I've moved up to!). No charge, of course, though when I asked if this affected the transmission warranty I was told that it did not (I'd have preferred they extend it but that was not offered). Interestingly, the service guy said that when called, Subaru told them not to even open the transmission at all. They just sent an entirely new transmission to swap out. I'm attaching the invoice (personal info removed, of course) for reference if anyone is interested in seeing exactly what work was done.
Outback Invoice.jpg

·
Registered
368 Posts
I wanted to follow up on this: I dropped the car off with the dealership on Tuesday the 10th and got it back yesterday, Tuesday the 17th. They gave me a loaner (a stripped-down '19 Outback which...OK, it was a nice comparison to what I've moved up to!). No charge, of course, though when I asked if this affected the transmission warranty I was told that it did not (I'd have preferred they extend it but that was not offered). Interestingly, the service guy said that when called, Subaru told them not to even open the transmission at all. They just sent an entirely new transmission to swap out. I'm attaching the invoice (personal info removed, of course) for reference if anyone is interested in seeing exactly what work was done.
View attachment 479208
Looks up cost for part# 31000AK280 (transmission) Sees price... 😵

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
1,716 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Which is why ~$1700 for extended warranty is worth it for me. That's just the tranny. If you figure in engine and other parts of the car, it quickly gets up there.
I've discussed with my uncle about buying the GEICO MBI(mechanical breakdown insurance) for $38 every 6 months with $250 deductible per claim. I did the math and it would take 5 claims before it ends up costing him more than the Subaru warranty. I assume he would get it fix and trade in the car after the 2nd major repair. Currently holding off until he gets close to 15,000 miles to make his decision.

If it were my own car I would take the risk mainly because I believe in the research I did before choosing to buy the car. A major repair can still happen outside the factory warranty and I'm okay with taking a loss on the car by trading it in early. It would also be the last time I buy a vehicle from that brand if it's a common problem with no recall/extended warranty offered.

·
Registered
84 Posts
If it were my own car I would take the risk mainly because I believe in the research I did before choosing to buy the car. A major repair can still happen outside the factory warranty and I'm okay with taking a loss on the car by trading it in early. It would also be the last time I buy a vehicle from that brand if it's a common problem with no recall/extended warranty offered.
That’s the reason I’ve stuck with Hondas and Subarus. With both I’ve had issues, nothing major, pop up outside of warranty periods that were handled with no issue and no cost to me. The mechanic/garage I’ve gone to for almost 30 years now, and specializes in Japanese cars, has said both Honda and Subaru almost always step up for an issue that really shouldn’t have occurred. Toyota is known to as well. My last foray with a domestic manufacturer, GM/Pontiac stuck me with the cost of a new engine after 4 years and 44,000 miles. Haven’t even considered one of the original domestic manufacturers since, and that was almost 30 years ago.

Again going by the experience of my garage guys, they have rarely seen the extended warranties of these cars saving their customers any money. There is always that one rare case but going by what they’ve seen and my own experience the odds are heavily in your favor when skipping those warranties. Now the Geico MBI coverage is not a bad deal and provides some peace of mind with minimal cost.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts