Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
05 OB XT 5EAT
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased an 05 OBXT and surprise surprise, the turbo blows two days after I drop in a new K&N air filter. I purchased a GSP 16G turbo and 3" catless uppipe along with a new oil line so that I won't blow this turbo as well. I plan on using a manual boost controller with a boost gauge.

What is the max boost pressure that I can run without risking damaging any other engine components?

·
Registered
32 Posts
While I've read a lot, I don't claim to be an expert on this. But from what I've read, even the stock EBC can more than accommodate the ~ 20 PSIG you can expect to get out of a 16G. To get that you'll need a tune and I would expect your tuner to not be crazy about the MBC. AFAIK, 16G is fine with stock fueling as long as there are no underlying mechanical issues.

Do also keep in mind that stock DP and TMIC will be your biggest impediments to maximizing your 16G performance.

Good reading in this FAQ.

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,323 Posts

·
Registered
05 OBXT 5eat stg1.2
2,104 Posts
First thing, ditch the k&n filter. It had nothing to do with your turbo blowing, but it is bad for the engine unless you calibrate the maf sensor to it.

If you did in fact get a 3" up pipe and are still running on the stock down pipe, you will be severely limited. IMO, return that up pipe, replace it with an sti or gutted stock up pipe, get a decent downpipe. That will open everything up.

You will run out of fueling at high rpm if the tuner doesn't taper boost. Or you can get bigger injectors. You won't be giving up much power up top if you decide to stick with stock fueling, it just needs to be tapered a bit.

Your stock tmic will separate from the end tanks if you push it.

If you plan on not tuning and just increasing boost with a mbc, you will destroy your pistons within a week. The stock tune is arguably unsafe on a stock setup, let alone increased boost. You'll have knock like you've never seen before, and you will have disabled the ecu's main failsafe for knock, which is to cut boost.

·
Registered
05 OB XT 5EAT
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I an not trying to get the max power out of my engine at this point. The suspension is so worn that I could not even use the power that the engine had stock. I bought rallitek sway bars and plan on getting new adjustable struts next.

could I use the components that I have now and just turn down the boost on the manual boost controller until I can afford an accessport and a tune?

·
Registered
05 OBXT 5eat stg1.2
2,104 Posts
No! If your reasoning is financial, then what you need to do is skip the MBC and get a vag-com or tactrix cable. If you aren't comfortable with messing around with boost tables on a computer, then you should have an e-tuner give you a stage 1 tune with the boost turned down enough that you'll run stage 1 levels. BTW, if you aren't comfortable altering wastegate tables and target boost, then you shouldn't be messing with a MBC either. It's just too dangerous.

If you will be using a 16g turbo on a stock setup, you absolutely need a tune. The stock tune will not be safe. If you're looking for safe boost levels with a 16g with a stock downpipe, then you need a stage 1 tune that peaks at 16psi or lower. If you download a free one, you will have to alter it so that it doesn't severely overboost with the different turbo. You can either do it yourself, or have a tuner do it. You absolutely do not need an accessport. If you have a laptop, you can either get the vag-com cable for $20 if you know your way around a computer, or you can get the $180ish tactrix cable that will be easier to set up.

Look at the xt performance mods thread I made. There are a lot of links to free tuning software and other info.

·
Registered
05 OB XT 5EAT
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was able to get an umarried accessport specifically for my model for $300. I just had my dad loan me the money. I didn't want to go with the vag-com just because I assume that you get what you pay for. For only a $120 difference I found what I feel would be an easier and better long term solution. I found the accessport on craigslist and am meeting the guy on friday to pick it up, this way I can make sure that it works and everything before I pay for it. I'll just run the stage 1 power levels and then save up to do the bulletproof TMIC mod and then eventually, a downpipe.

·
Registered
Somebody Else's XT
14,433 Posts
An accessport specifically for your model is all good and well, but as soon as you swap out stock parts it isn't your model anymore, and the mod maps available online are just educated guesses.

I'd tell anyone to go for it with the cobb canned stage 1 on stock parts, but as soon as you change parts you need to get a tuner involved for a custom map. This is where you get what you pay for.

Good luck and have fun!

·
Registered
2005 Outback 2.5XT & 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis
52 Posts
An accessport specifically for your model is all good and well, but as soon as you swap out stock parts it isn't your model anymore, and the mod maps available online are just educated guesses.

I'd tell anyone to go for it with the cobb canned stage 1 on stock parts, but as soon as you change parts you need to get a tuner involved for a custom map. This is where you get what you pay for.

Good luck and have fun!
Are the mod maps online only for accessport? I'm going the vag-com w/openecu/romraider rout and I plan to get a stage 1 tune from Infamous Tuning at some point but I would love to compare maps between my stock map and mod maps if they can be found online. For curiosities sake.

Thanks.

·
Registered
05 OBXT 5eat stg1.2
2,104 Posts
Running a canned stage 1 map with a 16g will overboost. You have to tune boost for that turbo. A tactrix cable would have been half the price...and it would have offered you so much more.

Now you're limited to a tuner that has accesstuner software. You just dropped $300 and still don't have a tune that will work.

·
Registered
05 OBXT 5eat stg1.2
2,104 Posts
Are the mod maps online only for accessport? I'm going the vag-com w/openecu/romraider rout and I plan to get a stage 1 tune from Infamous Tuning at some point but I would love to compare maps between my stock map and mod maps if they can be found online. For curiosities sake.

Thanks.
That stuff is on romraider.com. There is an extensive database of stock maps as well as different stage maps. The stage maps need to be tweaked and tested before they can be considered safe.

·
Registered
2005 Outback 2.5XT & 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis
52 Posts
That stuff is on romraider.com. There is an extensive database of stock maps as well as different stage maps. The stage maps need to be tweaked and tested before they can be considered safe.
Got it. I'll check them out.

Thanks

·
Registered
05 OB XT 5EAT
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have another vehicle that I can drive so I've decided to save up for a proper tune from Revolutions Tuning here in Colorado Springs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts