Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Outback
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like the way my cellphone dock tucks nicely near the dash on the left. I'm trying to get power there the right way. Temporarily I've run an extension from the dash under the floormat.

The real trouble is I know absolutely nothing. It seems like I should be able to tap into the fuse box with tap-a-circuit or something similar. Are there 12v to 5v conversion concerns?

Any advice is appreciated.

I've attached 2 pics to help describe my issue.

Attachments

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
You will still need to drop 12v to regulated 5v.

If you are satisfied with USB as a connector standard, you might as well use a compact lighter socket USB converter in a car lighter socket extension. Then, clip off the male end of the extension and wire it in to the fuse box. Be sure to use an inline fuse or add-a-fuse kit to maintain standards of short protection.

Next, attach a USB extension cord to the lighter socket converter. You can get USB extensions with plate-mount ears on them to attach to the backside of panels, consoles or dashboards. Then, you'll have a remote power-only USB jack anywhere you care to mount it in the car. Tape up the socket, converter & USB extension head end, and secure the assembly out of view behind the dash.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts