Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

New to the site. Just purchased a 2003 OBW a couple of days ago, and looking forward to seeing how well it performs in Wyoming winters. My son just recently got his drivers license, so he is taking over my 98 Altima. Gave me a good excuse to buy another car :D

Basically bought the car to drive to work (55 miles one way), and to not have to drive our truck (to much gas) to Billings MT from Cody WY for our Costco runs :p Seems to have plenty of room in the rear with seats down.

So far I'm pretty happy with the car, although I do have a radio issue I have to diagnose and fix (no sound). Replaced the head unit, and it still has no sound.
Seems strange that all the speakers would be dead :confused: Going to be fun to figure this one out :rolleyes:

Looking forward to participting in this community.:29:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's an H4. Haven't tried a CD. Stereo was tuned to a station and showing signal. I would think I would at least get some static or something (especially on AM) witht he volume all the way up.
Where is the power ant. booster located?

·
Registered
16,966 Posts
well, I THINK the actual booster is behind the trim panel behind the rear seat on the (US) driver's side. But, I also have read that the most common problem is at the head unit. Upgrades or work in the DIN area will sometimes leave the power connection to the booster disconnected. I suppose there could be wiring/connector issues as well.

Do you have metallic tint? some folks have complained that it can interfere with some reception.

maybe an audio/car electrics guru will chime in. I have no real experience with swapping head units or troubleshooting audio.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I swapped the head unit already. I soldered and shrink tubed all connections, now I just need time to check speakers/wire continuity. I will look for the booster behind the trim panel to see if I actually have one. This is a base model, that just had a basic am/fm CD player single DIN. I put in a Pioneer AV 1400 double DIN.

·
Registered
16,966 Posts
I swapped the head unit already. I soldered and shrink tubed all connections, now I just need time to check speakers/wire continuity. I will look for the booster behind the trim panel to see if I actually have one. This is a base model, that just had a basic am/fm CD player single DIN. I put in a Pioneer AV 1400 double DIN.

if the antenna is 'foil' in the DS rear-most window, you have a booster.

did you play a CD?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
2 Participants
Rodknock
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing