Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited pzev
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I'm from sw Kansas and have been lurking awhile on this forum. I don't know when I'll buy an Outback but I sure am interested in them. Some of the bigger challenges I face in making a decision on this is do I get a 2.5 or a 3.6? Will the backseat have enough room for 3 carseats? Currently have 2 kids but may eventually have another one. If I get one with a cvt what happens if it goes out? I live 3 hours from the nearest dealer.
I know these are common questions and the one about getting a 2.5 or a 3.6 is one that only I can answer. Right now I have a Nissan Altima 3.5 with 250+ hp so going to an all wheel drive with a 2.5 will be noticable. I also own a 1996 singe cab 4 cylinder 4x4 Toyota Tacoma which I've driven for almost 13 years now. It has 150 hp and almost the same amount of torque as the 2.5. My Nissan has about the same amount of hp as the 3.6. So this is my dilemma. I like the 2.5 mpg but will I be happy with it? I really want to love my Subaru and will probably have it for years. Any advice would be welcome. When I get a chance I will take these cars out for a drive. Sorry about being longwinded.
Thanks,
Chad

·
Registered
10 Posts
Chad: I am also new and I will be taking delivery in about 4 weeks. I am STILL struggling with the engine decision: I have a 55 mile one-way commute to work so the 4 banger would be nice, but, I live halfway between Sacramento and the mountains of Lake Tahoe, so the 3.6 would be the ticket for the hills. If you are a Flat Lander the 4 should do you fine and you will be proud of your mileage. Heck, 2.5 Subies pass my 3.5 Honda Accord going uphill every night on the way home. Drivem 'em both... flat roads and up hills, listen to your heart. PS: I may want to tow a tear drop camper just for grins so I know I will be getting the 3.6 Best to you & family.

John

·
Registered
2013 OB 3.6R Satin White Pearl
224 Posts
Hello! I'm from sw Kansas and have been lurking awhile on this forum. I don't know when I'll buy an Outback but I sure am interested in them. Some of the bigger challenges I face in making a decision on this is do I get a 2.5 or a 3.6? Will the backseat have enough room for 3 carseats? Currently have 2 kids but may eventually have another one. If I get one with a cvt what happens if it goes out? I live 3 hours from the nearest dealer.
I know these are common questions and the one about getting a 2.5 or a 3.6 is one that only I can answer. Right now I have a Nissan Altima 3.5 with 250+ hp so going to an all wheel drive with a 2.5 will be noticable. I also own a 1996 singe cab 4 cylinder 4x4 Toyota Tacoma which I've driven for almost 13 years now. It has 150 hp and almost the same amount of torque as the 2.5. My Nissan has about the same amount of hp as the 3.6. So this is my dilemma. I like the 2.5 mpg but will I be happy with it? I really want to love my Subaru and will probably have it for years. Any advice would be welcome. When I get a chance I will take these cars out for a drive. Sorry about being longwinded.
Thanks,
Chad
I think you will know pretty quickly when you drive both models which one you need. It only took me a couple minutes to figure out I needed the 3.6 for the way I drive, and what I plan to use my car for. Borrow an extra car seat from a friend when you test drive. Good luck with your decision!

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited pzev
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I'll have to go drive them. I'm quite aways from a dealer so I don't know when I'll get to go for a drive. What got me thinking about an Outback is I live along a dirt road in rural Kansas. It is horrible when it gets wet or snowy. My Altima has low ground clearance and when the road gets ruts it drags. It also slides and gets stuck in my yard. Part of it I know is traction due to the tires. A new set of treads would help some with traction but not clearance. My family no longer fits in my 4x4. My wife says the car has to be able to fit 3 car seats so that could be a problem. I really want an Outback :).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts