Subaru Outback Forums banner
321 - 340 of 443 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
15,390 Posts
I'm curious if there's any reason whatsoever to get the Subaru version over the Toyota dual motor version.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
15,390 Posts
...or pretend you're not driving a Toyota?

Reactions: Rcnesneg and walker

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I'm curious if there's any reason whatsoever to get the Subaru version over the Toyota dual motor version.
I am surprising myself that I all of a sudden want to put a positive spin on Solterra. For starters, I am relieved, as the Subaru dealer community must be, that they we have a good start on bringing the brand into the EV age. It was looking bleak just a few months ago and now there's some light going into the tunnel. So one reason I might want to buy a Solterra is that I am supporting the brand and supporting its development going forward.

This is just the first effort for T/S at a "real" EV. Both brands have fine engineering depts. and there is plenty of room for development. For example let's imagine that going forward Subaru writes the AWD control software and sells it to Toyota. I am thinking of the old GM brand practices where underneath there was a lot that was identical, but each brand had features not shared with the others; engines, audio systems, NVH control, etc. That differentiated the brands and gave them each something that they did better than the others. And there were tons of people who were brand loyal and would only buy a Buick, for example.

Of course the fact that I am saying "cut them some slack on their first EV" also begs the question of why these two brands let their game slip for so long. But they are survivors and good designers, and they won't get caught out again---probably. :)

·
Registered
11,559 Posts
Redline reviews…. Some interesting observations about the center display software - thinks subaru will tweak it to “be more subaru like”

lots of piano black trim…. Didn’t realize the sunroof doesn’t open, it’s just a glass roof with a power shade, I probably wasn’t paying attention watching other videos.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
The glass roof has become de rigueur for all self-respecting EVs, but I don't like them. They aren't yet using glass that blocks enough light and heat IMO.
My friend with an early Model Y complains that you get roasted in the summer heat; supposedly Tesla has improved the heat blocking now.
I'd want to install a vinyl wrap on the outside. Or a heat blocker film on the inside.
Never liked the glass roof in Forester either.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
15,390 Posts
I don't even like traditional sunroofs here in sunny Hawaii we try to avoid the sun not bask in it 24/7. I see so many tourists with skin red like a cooked lobster because they decided to expose as much skin as possible and ride a moped or open-top vehicle. My advice to anyone visiting a sunny location is to stay protected until you actually get to the beach or whatever. Just imagine being sunburned before you even reach the beach. Not fun.

I’m particularly sensitive to sunlight, and yet I thought a 30 SPF would be OK, I read or saw somewhere that some people started at 30, but then went up to 50SPF. So before I went this year, I purchased the 50 SPF for myself and took the 30 for my husband. Well, I STILL got burned with the 50— I even putting it on WHILE RIDING IN THE CAR GOING TO THE BEACH!!!!!! Just by luck, some of our activities were inside, like the Ocean Center. But I still ran out of my 50 , and just by chance, found some 70 SPF at the Walmart, which I immediately snapped up. So be advised, the sun IS THAT STRONG—TAKE PRECAUTIONS

·
Registered
2020 Outback XT Limited
50 Posts
Interesting they have 220 Miles with an explanation point like that's good. Not as good as the range on my Forester XT with the small tank and gas guzzling ej255 except it only takes me 5 minutes to bring it back to full range. Meanwhile Tesla vehicles all offer ranges in the mid 300s for miles.

FYI you can get the Solterra without a sunroof.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Interesting they have 220 Miles with an explanation point like that's good. Not as good as the range on my Forester XT with the small tank and gas guzzling ej255 except it only takes me 5 minutes to bring it back to full range. Meanwhile Tesla vehicles all offer ranges in the mid 300s for miles.

FYI you can get the Solterra without a sunroof.
looks like the glass roof is in LTD trim only

·
Registered
11,559 Posts
interesting things between the trims... the premium has no roof rails. And no power gate. The limited appears to add star-tex seating, and the touring doesn't say, but the seats are ventilated.

Wonder if the color options will be only on some trim levels... like that blue only on touring or something silly like that.

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
8,917 Posts
Of course the fact that I am saying "cut them some slack on their first EV" also begs the question of why these two brands let their game slip for so long.
With Toyota it’s easy to sort out - they got themselves strung out on a ten-year hydrogen fuel science experiment and just couldn’t admit defeat.

With Subaru, an EV development takes a lot of funding, more than what they can muster, so they had to wait on Toyota to get over their mistake and lead the way for them with a co-developed model.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
I’m digging the Limited trim I think. Honestly I would be happier with options to have certain things or not but I think it checks a lot of the boxes for me. Oddly enough I would like more information on the level 1 charger capabilities and length of cable. I can cheaply and easily convert my 120 outlet to a 5-20 circuit for more charging.

I like everything on there, would prefer an option to have the smaller wheels for better efficiency. Curious as to the differences between the Toyota AWD model and Subaru one since the range is different.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I’m digging the Limited trim I think. Honestly I would be happier with options to have certain things or not but I think it checks a lot of the boxes for me. Oddly enough I would like more information on the level 1 charger capabilities and length of cable. I can cheaply and easily convert my 120 outlet to a 5-20 circuit for more charging.

I like everything on there, would prefer an option to have the smaller wheels for better efficiency. Curious as to the differences between the Toyota AWD model and Subaru one since the range is different.
I want to know if memory seats are on the Limited like the Outback, or on the Touring like the Forester. Agree on smaller wheels.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
15,390 Posts
The seats are Toyota seats not Subaru seats so it's probably like neither. Sorry to be harping on the Toyota issue - I have no disdain for Toyota - just that realistically it is in fact a Toyota with a Subaru badge, no more no less. It's a better EV than Subaru could have come up with, given that there are tens of thousands of EV patents out there, including Toyota have thousands of its own.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts

Not sure if the writeups above cover this:
no frunk, IMO this gives the look of an ICE platform reconfigured to EV; what you do when you don't have the time to figure out where to put things away:
Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Car Motor vehicle

and Toyota could not bear to go with full regen braking:"For those that have become accustomed to driving BEVs with one-pedal braking capability, one aspect of the bZ4X may be disappointing. Toyota has a different philosophy about strong regenerative braking compared to many other automakers. Toyota prefers to replicate the behavior of internal combustion models with mild coast down to help ease the transition to BEVs. Drivers can enable some stronger regen by moving the transmission shifter to the B mode as they do on Toyota hybrids, but the vehicle won’t come to a complete stop without applying the brake pedal. "

Is that a carryover braking system from the hybrids? Does anyone know stats re how many crashes are caused by drivers not making correct use of regen braking?

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
These are some interesting comments, considering you weren’t allowed to take the car out of park during the launch event (according to some of the YT video first looks)

Toyota and Subaru have a reputation on small incremental changes over something that works and has a proven track record compared to just making a revolutionary new design. If you were expecting a Tesla like electric, you probably set yourself up for disappointment.

I am thrilled at the trim level offerings. I hope the price is reasonable. Not every state has California like tax credits and electric company credits so I hope they don’t price out other markets.

321 - 340 of 443 Posts