Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 413 Posts

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Hope it’s a big success and hybrid options trickle into the Outback. Would be excellent way to double my city fuel economy and get turbo-like performance.

·
Registered
198 Posts
The rav4 prime is selling extremely well, (not a turbo) but I can't see why something similar wouldn't be a huge hit for Subaru. If they offered modest range (30ish miles) of electric, I would think about giving up the turbo

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback 3.0R Ltd RIP 2006 Baja Turbo
421 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Outback Touring XT
398 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
2,613 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
I understand the reasons for why, but I think many of the Subaru fans out there eager for Subaru's take on an EV will be very disappointed by this. It will likely just be a carbon copy of the Toyota version of it. It will very much be an on-road focused vehicle and I'm expecting that any AWD capabilities will pale in comparison to their traditional AWD systems. In other words, expect this to be WAY more RAV4 than it is Forester (if at all).

This vehicle was developed in partnership with Toyota because they quickly needed a compliance vehicle to meet regulatory requirements. Subaru's true EVs that meet their adventure customer needs are going to be much much further out. I expect that sometime in the next several years new generations of their existing models will be designed to incorporate the EV tech being developed with Toyota right now. At the earliest I'm guessing that will start with the MY24 redesign of the Impreza and Crosstrek, but it could stretch out to the generation after that.

Also, I expect that Subaru will eventually develop an EV AWD system that is as good or even better than their current models. Electric motors offer a LOT more torque and potentially more fine control of individual tires. However, it is very very different from ICE systems and much of their existing tech just won't apply. The knowledge and experience should though.

1 - 20 of 413 Posts