Subaru Outback Forums banner
361 - 380 of 388 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
I won't miss what I don't currently have. I won't miss the frunk, but if I came from a vehicle that had it, you bet I would. The ID4 doesn't have one either. It's all good. Maybe it gets redesigned in the future, maybe it won't. My guess is there will be other things that compel me to upgrade in the future aside from that - such as if Toyota & Subaru unlock the "Solid State" battery they've been working on.

At the end of the day, the ~220 rating is fine, but the price has to make sense. I am hoping the Limited comes in around an actual sale price of $42,500 (MSRP likely higher) which would be around $35,000 after the Federal Tax Credit.

It's a shame I can't keep paying the 0% APR on my Outback XT if I trade for the Solterra, because that was a sweet deal getting 0% for 63 months... free money... I figure I'd just do a 48/60 term and just pay a little extra every month but have the flexibility of lower payments if I needed to.
It has horrible cargo area, with that insane slope on the rear, might as well made it a sedan. That's the issue with not having a frunk, it needs it to have decent cargo sapce.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Rumors on the internet of pricing being in the low 40’s “after” federal tax credit. That would be a little too much for what I was expecting. Hoping for an official announcement soon.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
14,253 Posts
That pricing seems high:

The AWD version of the ID4 is $43,675, 249 mile range, 220 KW motors combined, 0-60 in 5.7, no frunk, BEFORE $7500 tax credit.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
IIRC Toyota has already stated that the EV will not be made in large numbers. That alone would keep the price up. Also buys T time to sell more ICE/hybrid cars, do more lobbying, and set up the new EV production lines. IMO opinion they are also assuming that their first adopter EV customers won't mind too much if the MK II version has considerable upgrades in 2/3 years (IMO this is very likely). The 1st adopters are the loyalists who will go ahead and buy the newer version too. And in case there are some major flaw that has to be corrected in the field, it's easier to do with a small number of cars.

If the price is relatively high that also keeps Toyota from looking like they are competing with the riff-raff. I think it will take all the mfgs a while to sort out their new price structures and Toyota might just want to stay above the fray. Also, the Toyota bean counters will insist that the car make at least some profit, another reason to keep the price up.

I've been surprised at how low some of advertised prices for the VW and Hyundai EVs have been. But these are two companies willing to do almost anything to gain market share. I don't think Toyota wants to make that impression. Can't look like you're giving it away.

YMMV

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
14,253 Posts
I suppose Toyota doesn't want to cannibalize sales of their Rav4 or Subaru with the Forester and Outback?

When you think about the pricing of the Crosstrek Hybrid I thought it was insane.

Reactions: 2012 2.5premium cvt

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I think cars like Crosstrek Hybrid may exist just so the mfg can say they did it. A matter of corporate pride, or something they can point to in the future in case they are criticized for not doing anything with hybrids. A compliance car of sorts. Subaru's not the only one.

IIRC for both gens of the hybrid Subaru liked to point out that both were in-house designs. A matter of pride and something they can bring to the table, so that they're not looking ignorant and destitute, in their many discussions with "friendly rival" Toyota.

They are scarce, and expensive, but if you have to have one you can get it. I think Toyota may play this game with their EV for several years.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I thought Toyota will have to price the EV lower than the Mirai. Then I did some googling to find that the 2022 Mirai base model is "only" $50K. And Toyota throws in $15K in fuel subsidies, and 3 yrs maintenance.
IIRC FCEVs either qualify for a tax rebate as Evs, or there is a separate FCEV credit. I found that 2 yrs ago, the Gen 1 Mirai was sometimes being leased for $399/mo.

Rav4 Prime starts at $38K.

So I will be interested to see how the Toyota EV is priced. And where Solterra fits ino the Subaru price structure.

·
Registered
'22 OB Limited XT Abyss Blue
632 Posts
This guy covers Subaru

Good video! Maybe I'll skip the International Car Show in the Land of the Mouse this weekend - won't need to go.

There certainly is a strong resemblance between the Subaru Solterra and the Toyota bZ4X. I do believe that the Toyota version knocks out about 30 extra miles in range, but we'll see when they hit the street.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
14,253 Posts
Identical Twins usually do strongly resemble each-other. :sneaky:

It's possible that the SolTerra is more off-road capable in some manner - maybe 1/2" more ground clearance?

I wonder what it would look like if that outlined flat panel where a grille would be were given matte black vinyl instead of body color?

Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Car

Wheel Tire Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Sky

Reactions: jes2 and PilotXT

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
At a distance I have for years been mistaking the Ford oval for a Subaru badge. They even have similar color backgrounds.

Styling resemblances between two makes can come about when stylists copy each other, or find similar solutions to the same problem, in this case styling a front end that does not need an ICE size grille. And sometimes a certain styling cliche can catch on in many different brands. Something can become a fashion, like the super size grilles we have seen on all kinds of ICE cars for some years now.

Seeing my first Tesla Models 3/Y I immediately thought of the Renault Caravelle, for example. A little too close to be just coincidence IMO, and very similar solutions to styling a front end wo a big grille; 60 years apart. It's a lot easier to design and style your car if you can do some borrowing from others who have done it already for their own car.
I just looked up that the Caravelle was styled by Frua while working at Ghia; so if Tesla took inspiration at least they chose a class act to emulate. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Having a body-colored fender instead of the black plastic might also go a ways to helping people get over the somewhat polarizing appearance. I personally don't mind it, but I would probably look to have it wrapped, or at least some of it.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I will guess that the black pieces are an attempt to stylistically link Solterra to other Subaru models that have black trim.
Plus it's a fashion and aren't a lot of cars doing this? White current gen Rav 4s really stand out with black trim all around.
it's a modern day two toning plus they save the cost of paint. For once a styling feature that saves money :).
BTW Subaru has been a two-toning fan for decades.

Attachments

361 - 380 of 388 Posts