Subaru Outback Forums banner
381 - 388 of 388 Posts

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
If this is the same charging cable as the Crosstrek Hybrid, the MSRP is a little over $1000. Personally, I am looking into a Grizzle EVSE solution that can be configured to your needs. I like the idea of a 240V20A which will charge at 16A, for about 3.8 kW per hour. That’s more than enough for me. I may go 30A for it to be more future proof if my home can support it.

·
Registered
2005 Outback 3.0R VDC/VTD/LSD 5eat , 2.8'' lift
1,907 Posts
Yes there could be better looking front or that front could even look different. I mean front has that shape for petrol cars because engine is there and radiator in front. For ev car front doesnt need to be that shape at all anymore but they still making car as old times just putting e motors in it

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
8,508 Posts
Post was more about the included OEM 120V AC charger rather than actual standard, but yes, glad they aren’t using Chademo.
Got it; I was thrown off by the added reference to the Grizzle EVSE, which wasn't related to the OEM charger. I would go with your approach of using the higher capacity EVSE 240 V for home, and the portable OEM 120V for emergency use while traveling.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Absolutely. If my OEM one failed, I would likely replace it with a Grizzl-e mini when it launches next year, or buy a Tesla Mobile Connector and use a TeslaTap Tesla to J1772 adapter. My only comment was really geared towards the cost of the charging cable which seems excessive.

Apparently there are people that use the TMC with an adapter for their non Teslas anyway since they provide alternative forms of charging (5-2, 6-20, 6/14-30, 6/14-50) all in a single unit with changeable plug adapters, which is highly convenient.

Still on the fence about the Solterra because I may just hold out for an Outback EV. The million dollar question is how much gas will be and what will valuation be for an ICE. It could go either way - higher because you can’t get them anymore, or lower because nobody wants them.

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
8,508 Posts
Believe it or not, I installed a ClipperCreek HCS-50 (40A charging capacity) EVSE in my garage a few years ago, even before having an EV in the family, only because the state of Oregon was subsidizing the installation cost 50% and suddenly announced they would terminate the program. With plenty of warning, I put it in and snagged the rebate - the theory being that it would be needed anyway at some point, and if the house were sold it could be more than recouped. It did have to be hardwired, though, to qualify for the rebate - I guess they thought that subsidizing a plug-in unit could result in sham rebates folleded by reselling it on the open market out-of-state.

Given the current price on this capable unit ($635) is still around the same amount as my pre-subsidy purchase price, I would agree, the OEMs price seems very high.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
That’s a great play. Unfortunately, my home is very old, and while it doesn’t have knob and tube wiring (or whatever that was) or fuses, the older panel is maxed and requires a replacement. There’s no opportunity for subpanel or anything like that - I’ve had about 4 different electricians look at it. So, it’s not just the relatively straightforward cost of installing L2 EVSE, I also have to deal with my ~$3000 panel job.

Also unfortunately, the federal credit for some cash back is expiring also. I’m looking into something with my utility company when we do our panel upgrade down the line but I think it’s mostly stuff on their side, like meter to pole, rather than meter to my car.

Part of me wanted to go for the Crosstrek PHEV as a stepping stone to a full EV, since I wouldn’t care as much about L1 or L2 charging, but it seemed like an awful lot of money for not a lot of car. In fact, it was more expensive than my Onyx XT was.

Reactions: johnre
381 - 388 of 388 Posts