Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1999 OB 2.5 Manual
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the pulley bearings in the compressor clutch went out. I tried to remove the clutch so I could remove the pulley and replace just the pulley bearings, the AC worked just fine prior. Whatever I do, I cannot remove the clutch plate. I may have to just purchase a new compressor. rock Auto has reman and new compressors from 4 seasons. a new oem is several hundred dollars more than the new 4 seasons. any thoughts on the likelyhood of the 4 seasons junking out? this car is used by my son in high school, so its hard to justify OEM parts on this car sometimes. Share with me your thoughts.

Travis

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,413 Posts
used, check car-part.com or LKQ

·
Registered
I own 4 Subarus. A 95,97,02 and a 14. The first two are 2.2 and the last two 2.5.
657 Posts
Yes, buy it used. If you have a you-pull-it, just go there. Usually they will pull the part for a small fee. The compressors don't fail often so a used one is good as new.

·
Registered
1997 Outback 2.5 AT
186 Posts
if you open the system to replace the compressor, be sure to replace the receiver-dryer as well (mounted by firewall on passenger side), you can get one from Oreilly or AUtozone for like $14.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts