Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Outback R LL Bean 3.0 H6 w/ 5 speed sport shift
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been chasing this problem for a bit but the previous code was C0105 so I changed the sensor and cleaned the connector where the sensor plugs into the harness. Now I get C0101 wheel speed sensor RR malfunction (broken wire, input voltage too high).

I have replaced the rear hub assembly with the highest grade replacement NAPA offers and the sensor is also NAPA. The axle is OEM.

First, I'm not certain what the FSM says about checking voltage/ohms at that harness plug?

Second, if I do have a broken wire at the plug, can I repair it? I'm proficient at soldering so I'm not afraid to tackle it but I'm wondering if this would cause interference in the current flow and I have read the sensors are highly sensitive?

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2012 STI, 2007 Impreza RS
313 Posts
What car?
pre 2005 there was a gear on the axle, 2005+ there are magnets in the wheel bearing hub. You could put a hub from pre 2005 into a 2005+ and the hub would fit but the wheel bearing would not have the embedded magnets

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,610 Posts
I would check the connection under the rear seat again, but you could have a bad sensor.

IIRC, the FSM gives you vehicle harness checks, but not sensor test specs. The sensor will have some resistance (typically low, between 10-50 ohm usually), but you'll need an oscilloscope to verify function. Luckily, your C0101 is a physical circuit code (open/short) rather than a "signal performance" code.

I've had extremely little success repairing ABS sensor wiring to where it functions like OE. Lots of the OE were shielded with braided aluminum since the signals are very weak and are easily influenced by external RF signals. Even with high-grade electronics solder, they just don't behave the same (loss of signal at low speed, transient noise, etc).

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks RD, That's why I asked because I suspected this may be the case. Does this error code disable the ABS system? That's my only concern.
Honestly, I'm tired of chasing gremlins. I've had a lot of cars in my life and I've never had one throw so many codes!

·
Registered
2012 STI, 2007 Impreza RS
313 Posts
I have a 2008 Outback and someone broke the ABS sensor when changing the wheel bearing hub. I had a used wheel bearing hub sitting around that the ABS wire had been cut when removed. So I took the good ABS sensor with cut wire and cut the wire on my car and soldered spliced the wire and it has been fine ever since. (I figured why not try, no cost)
That is my only experience with splicing ABS wires, and it has been good so far.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a 2008 Outback and someone broke the ABS sensor when changing the wheel bearing hub. I had a used wheel bearing hub sitting around that the ABS wire had been cut when removed. So I took the good ABS sensor with cut wire and cut the wire on my car and soldered spliced the wire and it has been fine ever since. (I figured why not try, no cost)
That is my only experience with splicing ABS wires, and it has been good so far.
Thanks for your reply. If it were the sensor cable itself, I'd give it a try but I installed a new one and the ABS code and light remained, even though I used the FreeSSM to attempt to clear the code. Then replaced the sensor cable with another one I knew was good and same problem persisted. My car has a connector just in front of the wheelwell where I suspect the wires on the harness side of the connector could be the problem. I'm reluctant to cut into those wires until I rule out every other possibility.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts