Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Premium with Eyesight, Hitch and a few other things
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
7 weeks after purchasing my new Premium with Eyesight, I had a new windshield installed by my AAA approved glass shop. My prior one cracked after receiving a second stone hit.

Anyway my insurance paid for it (minus deductible) but I was wondering about the Eyesight calibration that was mentioned in the manual. The system seems to be performing exactly as before. awesome... so do I really need a dealer recalibration? I am not sure my insurance will even pay for it.

thanks

Peter

·
Registered
Outback 1: 2015 2.5i Limited. Option 23, PP5, Hitch. Ice Silver. Outback 2: 2015 2.5i Limited, Option 23, PP5, Carbide Gray.
1,022 Posts
7 weeks after purchasing my new Premium with Eyesight, I had a new windshield installed by my AAA approved glass shop. My prior one cracked after receiving a second stone hit.

Anyway my insurance paid for it (minus deductible) but I was wondering about the Eyesight calibration that was mentioned in the manual. The system seems to be performing exactly as before. awesome... so do I really need a dealer recalibration? I am not sure my insurance will even pay for it.

thanks

Peter
This is a question better directed to personnel at your Subaru Service Dept.

·
Registered
2015 OB 2.5i Premium & Eyesight
99 Posts
We now have our second crack. First one at 1,300 miles and now this one at 4,000 miles. This one is bad and will require replacement.

Was your's a special order from Subaru?? Just wondering what to tell the insurance company.

btw, the wife drove a 2004 Camry for 156K and never had a chip or crack.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2015 OB Limited 2.5i PZEV MR, Keyless Access & Push-Button Start, Nav, Eyesight - Tungsten Metallic
1,313 Posts

thanks

Peter

IMHO I doubt insurance would pay for it - can't see them being that generous. If it could happen I would think that the glass replacement would have to be done by a Subaru Dealer so there would be only one invoice but I bet they would still question the total amount which would far exceed any glass only replacement. Two invoices - one from the glass company and the other from a Subaru Dealer would be a hard sell to the insurance company.

I wonder why the manual requires a realignment. Could it be that the glass is not optically the same between different windshield and thus distorts the camera images from the factory alignment or is it in case the camera alignments are disturbed in the process of replacing the windshield? One thing I would do before having a glass company do a windshield replacement is the cover the camera lenses and make sure they know about the Eyesight system.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6R Limited w/ES&Nav
300 Posts
I doubt they are concerned with differences in optical properties between different samples. Things like rain/snow/dust that the windshield picks up during a drive have much more pronounced effects than that. What they probably are worried about is the cameras being hit and moved/misaligned during the installation process.

·
Registered
2015 Premium with Eyesight, Hitch and a few other things
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We now have our second crack. First one at 1,300 miles and now this one at 4,000 miles. This one is bad and will require replacement.

Was your's a special order from Subaru?? Just wondering what to tell the insurance company.

btw, the wife drove a 2004 Camry for 156K and never had a chip or crack.

Thanks.
My glass shop had to special order the glass and surround moulding from a local Subaru dealershop... it only took 3 days. The glass guy (4.5 stars on Yelp) knew about EyeSight and the heated glass where the wipers rest.

As others have mentioned in another thread the cost of these 2 parts alone is close to $600! Luckily I had lowered my deductible to $100 after getting my first glass chip.

Peter
p.s. the windshields seem to chip and crack easily, so definitely suggest that people drop their comprehensive deductible limit to as low as you can. It only cost me $25 extra per year to go from $500 to $100. Some companies though may cover automatically with zero.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Some companies though may cover automatically with zero.
State Law in SC is all Insurance must cover free windshield replacement. It's in their best interest. You're much more likely to be in a wreck if you can't see well. A few hundred bucks for a new windshield beats the heck out of several thousand or more for a totaled vehicle.

I had my windshield replaced at least 2 times in my old car. I was asked by my insurance if I had a preferred vendor. Perhaps I should say I'd prefer to have it done at the dealer, and see what they say. I believe my Insurance would prefer for my Eyesight system to function properly, as it too can reduce the severity of many accidents.

·
Premium Member
'02 Bean H6, AWP & ORP, factory hitch
3,109 Posts
The manufacturer of ES may have a clause stating that the performance of the system may be compromised by anyone except the dealer replacing the glass. Just a little CYA in case someone gets in a wreck and wants to blame it on ES.

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Limited Forester (hers) (4th Subie), 2014 Impreza Premium (mine)(#5)
2,292 Posts
It's probably related to the glass having different optical properties.
That's exactly what we've been told. Whether it's true or not, I have no idea. But as I said, we've been told the laminates in the factory glass are designed to assist the camera in viewing the road ahead.

Realize that bright sunlight and a variety of other issues can cause Eyesight to not work as designed (including leaving a sticker on the outside of the windshield when going on a demo drive with the car ... that was an expensive demo drive). And obviously dirt, dust, smoke, and other vision obstructing things cause issues as well.

Our rule of thumb is simple - if you have trouble seeing through it, so will the cameras. Don't put Rain-X on your windshield. Turn eyesight off when you're going through a car wash. And drive safely - remember, it's a driver assist system, not a driver replacement system.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6R Limited with package #23
708 Posts
I'd be more worried about possible bumping of the cameras during the new windshield installation.

I don't understand all the rain-x scares...

I've been using it from day one and never had an issue.

I guess it's all the blah blah blah legal issues to cover their butts...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Re-calibration yes, or no?

The system seems to be performing exactly as before. awesome... so do I really need a dealer re-calibration? I am not sure my insurance will even pay for it.
thanks
Peter
So, did you, or any of you HAVE to re-calibrate the system? I'm very skeptical, I'm having my windshield replaced and the only option available is OEM. Does anyone know, with 100% certainty if re-calibration is absolutely necessary, or just a CYA for insurance companies and dealers to make an extra buck in their service dept...?

Another way to ask this (for those of you worried about CYA), when you had your windshield replaced, did you skip the re-calibration and is your system working fine?

Thanks in advance,
Ivan

·
Premium Member
2015 Legacy 3.6R ES, 2014 Forester Touring ES, 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited
3,243 Posts
Who knows better than the Subaru engineers. They put it in writing.

BTW the insurance covers the cost.

You posted this same question Three(3) different times and started Two new threads.

We Can Hear You.?

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,542 Posts
EyeSight may (or may not) appear to work correctly after windshield replacement, but there's only one way to know for sure if it's 100%. Your choice.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
EyeSight may (or may not) appear to work correctly after windshield replacement, but there's only one way to know for sure if it's 100%. Your choice.
It seems to me the eyesight would need to have self-checking abilities that allow it to detect whether it's in need of adjustment. It would need to turn itself off, or set off a warning of some sort, if it detected an error during its self-check.

IMO it would be a serious safety issue if I could be driving an ES equipped car and have no way of knowing if the system was working correctly--counterproductive behavior for a "safety device".

·
Premium Member
3,243 Posts
Windshield not change No Problem,................ Windshield needs replacement follow Subaru instructions.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Who knows better than the Subaru engineers. They put it in writing.
I see what the book says I also have seen how glass techs work and they will move/remove the absolute minimum # or parts when replacing a WS, to save time, also to avoid breaking something. Plus none of them ever references a manual.

So if the tech tells me "I did not touch your electronics" I guess no recalb needed?

·
Premium Member
3,243 Posts
Not at all, the chances putting the windshield exactly at the same place without variation is impossible. Exp.If you wear glasses your eyesight is only at optimum when it the at the exact one position . If you slide it off from that position your you still see but not at the prescribed numbers.

So to answer your question is why put your family at risk, or the lawyers a chance to bury you.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Lots of interesting/helpful responses... I found this on youtube and note the part where there's a setting for "Auto Adjust"... I'm having a new windshield installed this week; it's OEM glass, the 2016 model cameras (front) are not mounted to the glass and there's a few inches from the glass that covers the camera and the interior part of the windshield.

I'm gonna see how the car perform not calibrating the cameras, safely of course... But in the meantime, thought this was something to get geeky about:

IVan

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Lots of interesting/helpful responses... I found this on youtube and note the part where there's a setting for "Auto Adjust"... I'm having a new windshield installed this week; it's OEM glass, the 2016 model cameras (front) are not mounted to the glass and there's a few inches from the glass that covers the camera and the interior part of the windshield.

I'm gonna see how the car perform not calibrating the cameras, safely of course... But in the meantime, thought this was something to get geeky about:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWtK6BcMSZY

IVan
Interesting video;
however I'm going to state again that I'm perplexed whereas other safety systems that I am familiar with, such as ABS, air bags, VDC, have self-checks that will set off warnings if not passed--

posters are saying that it's a good idea to get your ES calibrated because otherwise you could be driving for years and never know if it's working correctly--since ES does not seem to have anyway of telling us that it's not working, until we find out by crashing into something after it does not work as expected.

:confused::confused:

1 - 20 of 56 Posts