Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,016 Posts
New Forester Sport and above have Dual X-mode. One setting for snow /dirt and one for deep snow/mud.

·
Registered
5,499 Posts

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Limited Forester (hers) (4th Subie), 2014 Impreza Premium (mine)(#5)
2,297 Posts
@Carl Abrams can you confirm the article is correct?
I presume you're talking about this paragraph, and part of the following one:

Don’t let this confuse you, though, this X-Mode system is identical to the one in every other Forester variant but what it does do is disable engine traction control automatically so that the engine doesn’t kill power when the wheels begin to spin. In any other Forester, you’d need to do this yourself. I recently watched a very popular US video on this ‘new’ capability of X-Mode and not once did the presenter explain or seem to understand that the new capability is just a shortcut.

So, the new component still leaves brake traction control active, meaning should a wheel come off the ground it’ll stop spinning with drive diverting to the wheel still on the ground. Rather when in the Deep Snow/Mud mode more wheel spin is allowed to help maintain momentum.
Um - it's not exactly correct. Regular (or any) X-mode has brake traction control active, to stop spinning on a wheel that's up in the air or has no traction. I use as a sales aid a video I took of us at a ride and drive where the Forester we were in had the right rear in the air and it stopped spinning. There's a video online from a previous gen Forester doing the same thing on muddy roads.

The dual mode dirt/snow keeps brake traction active AND keeps eyesight active. It's more or less for dirt / sand, when you need to go slow. Deep snow/mud disables BOTH traction control (so the wheels CAN spin) AND turns off collision avoidance, so that you're going into that mud-pit and the car 'sees' that mound you're climbing over as you're nose down and doesn't engage throttle management to keep you from moving.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,182 Posts
I presume you're talking about this paragraph, and part of the following one:

Um - it's not exactly correct. Regular (or any) X-mode has brake traction control active, to stop spinning on a wheel that's up in the air or has no traction. I use as a sales aid a video I took of us at a ride and drive where the Forester we were in had the right rear in the air and it stopped spinning. There's a video online from a previous gen Forester doing the same thing on muddy roads.

The dual mode dirt/snow keeps brake traction active AND keeps eyesight active. It's more or less for dirt / sand, when you need to go slow. Deep snow/mud disables BOTH traction control (so the wheels CAN spin) AND turns off collision avoidance, so that you're going into that mud-pit and the car 'sees' that mound you're climbing over as you're nose down and doesn't engage throttle management to keep you from moving.
To clarify:

The dual mode essentially a shortcut button then?

Isn't it possible now to turn on x mode, turn off collision avoidance, and turn off traction control currently?

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Limited Forester (hers) (4th Subie), 2014 Impreza Premium (mine)(#5)
2,297 Posts
To clarify:

The dual mode essentially a shortcut button then?

Isn't it possible now to turn on x mode, turn off collision avoidance, and turn off traction control currently?
For those people who understand how things are supposed to work, yes. (In other words, about 5% of the general public.)

For the 95% of car buyers who don't have a clue, you have dual-mode.

When I'm doing my delivery, I always point to the Traction Control button and tell people, "This is the 'don't push this button' button. If you manage to get stuck and NEED to spin your wheels, THEN you push this button. Otherwise, leave it alone."

You go off-roading all the time. (I still use your videos of going up the hill with following the Silverado, and mudding on election day as sales aids.) You KNOW when to turn stuff off. We're getting so many conquest customers from other brands that they've had to add this switch because people don't understand what they're actually supposed to do - and they're not willing to take the time to learn what they're supposed to do. So Subaru simplified it.

That's why I said it's not exactly correct. He missed the Eyesight function completely, and didn't fully explain the two differences. Here's the relevant section from the owners manual.

. SNOW/DIRT is suitable for driving on a snow-covered road where the points of contact between the tires and road surface are visible, or for driving on an unpaved road.
. D.SNOW/MUD is suitable for driving on a road covered with deep snow where the points of contact between the tires and road surface are not visible, or for driving on a muddy road.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6r Limited
329 Posts
Thanks, this is good information ! So one does not necessarily need to go to a higher trim just to get Dual X-Mode. This can be achieved by pressing 2 more buttons - turn off VDC and eyesight

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
never mind im going to post this over in the gen 6 section.

some of the discussions on the Onyx trim thread prompted me to start researching, which is where I found that article I posted. The onyx trim thread was all over the place, and this discussion seemed more relevant to the differences *specifically* for dual x-mode.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,182 Posts
For those people who understand how things are supposed to work, yes. (In other words, about 5% of the general public.)

For the 95% of car buyers who don't have a clue, you have dual-mode.

When I'm doing my delivery, I always point to the Traction Control button and tell people, "This is the 'don't push this button' button. If you manage to get stuck and NEED to spin your wheels, THEN you push this button. Otherwise, leave it alone."

You go off-roading all the time. (I still use your videos of going up the hill with following the Silverado, and mudding on election day as sales aids.) You KNOW when to turn stuff off. We're getting so many conquest customers from other brands that they've had to add this switch because people don't understand what they're actually supposed to do - and they're not willing to take the time to learn what they're supposed to do. So Subaru simplified it.
We
That's why I said it's not exactly correct. He missed the Eyesight function completely, and didn't fully explain the two differences. Here's the relevant section from the owners manual.
Thank you for the clarification.

Making the dual mode button makes sense for the target demographic.

I was only questioning if it changed the maximum capabilities of the car at all.

Also I am humbled you're using my videos to help your sales. :smile2:

21 - 30 of 30 Posts