Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all I am new to Subaru so i will try not to sound too ignorant. I've had my XT for about a month now and am doing some research on what is and is not safe for the stock block and heads. Right now it's running a VF52, downpipe, short shifter and tune making 242whp. From what I've found so far (looking for confirmation) I should be able to squeeze 350-400 whp safely. If that's acurate then what is the best (not cheapest) way to get it? Any recommendations for what I should go after next is appreciated.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,163 Posts
Hello all I am new to Subaru so i will try not to sound too ignorant. I've had my XT for about a month now and am doing some research on what is and is not safe for the stock block and heads. Right now it's running a VF52, downpipe, short shifter and tune making 242whp. From what I've found so far (looking for confirmation) I should be able to squeeze 350-400 whp safely. If that's acurate then what is the best (not cheapest) way to get it? Any recommendations for what I should go after next is appreciated.
what year is that car?

moved thread and updated title. 2005-2009 section is the location for all XT questions, and "XT" in the title draws in the people with them.

rule #1: keep the full synthetic oil younger then 3750 miles. and pull the dipstick often.
(keep a OEM oil filter in the back of the car for emergencies) .

·
Master Caster
🖤💔💙 3 Beautiful OBXTs
16,302 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the welcome... Feels real good to be here. I guess the next best step is to go for injectors and new fuel pump. Any body know about how much boost is safe to run? Currently at 17lbs. And again sorry for sounding ignorant but the car came with a Cobb 3 AP. Other than to have it retuned I'm not 100% sure of it's applications and uses??

·
Master Caster
🖤💔💙 3 Beautiful OBXTs
16,302 Posts
Thank you for the welcome... Feels real good to be here. I guess the next best step is to go for injectors and new fuel pump. Any body know about how much boost is safe to run? Currently at 17lbs. And again sorry for sounding ignorant but the car came with a Cobb 3 AP. Other than to have it retuned I'm not 100% sure of it's applications and uses??
Well read up on your AP, COBB has a great forum for their stuff. The AP has staged maps, the model/mod generic.

A local tuner who uses the AP platform can do a custom/protune for you. Or there is remote laptop tuning with ECUedit or similar.

17-18 psi is about where you want to be. You can't push anymore without opening up the exhaust from the turbo all the back. Injectors are not going to do you any good, or is the fuel pump upgrade unless you do the exhaust as mentioned as well as some up-pipe or header work.

Read through that thread if you haven't.

·
Registered
Outbrat XT, 3.0R Limited, 2.5i Touring
4,644 Posts
First off, welcome! What are your real world goals for the car? Track days or just bragging rights?

350-400whp safely. Safe for what? And for how long? At that amount I’d be worried about connecting rod bolts, clutches, axles, and stock transmissions.

Your stock turbo-uppipe-intercooler, injectors and fuel pump will all likely need to go. And thats just to get you in the ballpark, I don’t know how well the stock plastic intakes flow but I have a feeling it won’t get you there. You’ll definitely need more than 17psi to get there. You’ll likely want a front mount intercooler and possibly meth injection while you are at it. Start saving for an STI trans/diff or at least a reinforced 5spd.

It’s doable. But not cheap, even if you do all of the wrenching. You will break stuff. Use an experienced tuner who knows what they are doing (Legacy cars are heavier than Imprezas and should be tuned accordingly).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gave that thread a better read this time around, great info and I appreciate the link. Goal is just to have a fun. It probably won't see the track. I live in Colorado there are lots of fun roads and trails. I am already looking into a 6 speed swap as I found out it needs a rebuild and the shop I'm working with gave me a decent quote on one. I read somewhere around here that 6 speeds are necessary to stand up to more than 300whp and I since I am going to a 6 speed I figure I should take advantage of it. After reading through some of that thread posted I've toned my goals down a bit though. I think what I'm really looking for is just under that 300 mark.

·
Registered
Outbrat XT, 3.0R Limited, 2.5i Touring
4,644 Posts
Gave that thread a better read this time around, great info and I appreciate the link. Goal is just to have a fun. It probably won't see the track. I live in Colorado there are lots of fun roads and trails. I am already looking into a 6 speed swap as I found out it needs a rebuild and the shop I'm working with gave me a decent quote on one. I read somewhere around here that 6 speeds are necessary to stand up to more than 300whp and I since I am going to a 6 speed I figure I should take advantage of it. After reading through some of that thread posted I've toned my goals down a bit though. I think what I'm really looking for is just under that 300 mark.
By 6spd I assume you mean STI? The later model 6spd used in NA Foresters and Outbacks really aren’t any stronger than the 5spds were.

300 is definitely easily attainable, and far cheaper. Still, I recommend using a trusted tuner.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.