Subaru Outback Forums banner

1781 - 1800 of 1846 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
You seem to know what you're doing ...

What clogged the uppipe? If the catalyst was coming apart, did it get to the turbo?
Not really sure what caused the clog. The previous owner had gone to a couple of shops trying to get it resolved before finally taking it to the local dealer. At that point he want interested in paying the dealer prices to fix it and sold it instead. I do know that one of the shops replaced the rear cat thinking it was clogged but I don't know what else was done. Once I replaced the up pipe, everything seemed to be working perfectly. I changed the oil and removed the banjo bolt screens and didn't see any debris in either. Basically, I'm hoping I get lucky and everything continues to work well.

And I'm not sure I really know what I'm doing. I'm just really good at searching the forums.

Bobby

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
12,109 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi there.

Have recently purchased a second hand 2004 2.5 Outback, so will be running through these pages to find answers to things that might pop up.

Looks like there is a good lot of informative and helpful people on here.

Cheers.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Hi there.

Have recently purchased a second hand 2004 2.5 Outback, so will be running through these pages to find answers to things that might pop up.

Looks like there is a good lot of informative and helpful people on here.

Cheers.
Welcome to the group.

FYI the Outback XT was introduced in 2005 ... your 2004 is a completely different generation.

·
Premium Member
15,847 Posts
Gen3 started at 2005....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2004 in AUS are actually same Gen as the USDM 2005. They get the sunlight a day earlier than us, I suppose the get the new model a year early.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Old member returning to the fold because I missed you guys.

Still have the XT, she's taken a beating but keeps on ticking. Picked up a 2017 RS back in feb while the XT was out in repair land. Ended up swapping out the avo uels and uppipes (god I miss that glorious sound) for an invida el set up which is nice. Spool is smoother for sure but man the exhaust sounds so flippin flat now. Had some other fuel leaks that were being diagnosed, last winters temps were murder to the lines and the wife forbid our new born from even riding in the car - hence new car. Other than that, on the last leg of the coilovers, about 30k in miles total and then they go. Going back to stock for the winter then figure out next steps.

Anyways gents, great to see you guys are still on! Catch you in the threads! Cheers - Sam

·
Registered
4 Posts
New XT Owner

Hello! I just finished discussing with my parents about purchasing my father's 2005 XT Limited Outback with ~166K miles on the odometer and am very excited to become its new owner. I don't have any photos yet but will hopefully soon. I look forward to being able to talk to some fellow subaru owners and discuss how amazing they are.

·
Premium Member
15,847 Posts
Hello! I just finished discussing with my parents about purchasing my father's 2005 XT Limited Outback with ~166K miles on the odometer and am very excited to become its new owner. I don't have any photos yet but will hopefully soon. I look forward to being able to talk to some fellow subaru owners and discuss how amazing they are.
Nice to get a hand me down, I hope it was well oil maintained. You know about 2005--2006 caveats with these beasts I hope. Oil changes, oil levels, banjo filter.

BTW, check you oil, often.

·
Premium Member
15,847 Posts
I look forward to being able to talk to some fellow subaru owners and discuss how amazing they are.
BTW, this is the most amazing model this company ever produced. I like then so much I have (2) ... I want more.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the tip about oil! I know I have to change it soon just haven't gotten around to it yet. I'm not necessarily sure about oil levels and the banjo filter so I have to do more research regarding the caveats about them. I'm glad to hear I got a good model and I'm tempted to try to get it to stage 1 sometime in the future when I gain more knowledge regarding tuning and such but that's on the bottom of my priorities.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello everyone! I have been on this forum for a few years but not very active and I think its time I changed that :)
My name is Mary and I have an 05 Outback XT. I prefer to work on it as much as I can myself but I'm self taught and run into problems often but its fun to puzzle them out. It really helps me to come on here and read other people's posts and the answers they get as well as occasionally posting myself. I am so glad this place exists!

That being said I'm having an issue setting my drivers side cams correctly after a mishap while changing my timing belt. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to verify the correct positions for the intake and exhaust cams? I looked for firing order animations on YouTube hoping to see if there was some way to see the positions of the valves while at TDC (Found this fun one though its not very helpful for what I need
). I'm just having a hard time visualizing it to figure it out. If anyone has had this problem before or can suggest a thread on here that breaks it down that would be a big help!

I hope everyone is having a great Saturday!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Hello everyone! I have been on this forum for a few years but not very active and I think its time I changed that :)
My name is Mary and I have an 05 Outback XT. I prefer to work on it as much as I can myself but I'm self taught and run into problems often but its fun to puzzle them out. It really helps me to come on here and read other people's posts and the answers they get as well as occasionally posting myself. I am so glad this place exists!

That being said I'm having an issue setting my drivers side cams correctly after a mishap while changing my timing belt. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to verify the correct positions for the intake and exhaust cams? I looked for firing order animations on YouTube hoping to see if there was some way to see the positions of the valves while at TDC (Found this fun one though its not very helpful for what I need https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mg-Aa11wqeY). I'm just having a hard time visualizing it to figure it out. If anyone has had this problem before or can suggest a thread on here that breaks it down that would be a big help!

I hope everyone is having a great Saturday!
Do you have a service manual? It shows how to align the sprocket timing marks for TDC - including the correct direction to rotate them to get to the position.

·
Registered
6 Posts
New XT Member

Hey everybody! Been lurking here since January 2018 before I bought my 06 XT limited in March.

Had a freshly rebuilt engine when I bought it due to a turbo failure. Previous owner had installed an oil filter sandwich plate and forced performance inline turbo filter with it's own line and a BNR 16G. But it seems they didn't tear the engine down and flush after the turbo failure and bearings went bad. So the engine was bored 0.50 over, honed and rebuilt with king bearings, I believe a nitrided crank, and forged pistons.

Been having some issues that I am trying to figure out, but still have a lot to learn about these things!
Fun cars and a great community!

·
Registered
3 Posts
New here.

Hello everyone!

I am a proud owner of a 2006, 5 speed OBXT with 167k on it and I love every bit of her. I am currently looking into buying some legacy gt suspension, so if anyone has any leads on some, please PM me!

·
Premium Member
15,847 Posts
Hey everybody! Been lurking here since January 2018 before I bought my 06 XT limited in March.

Had a freshly rebuilt engine when I bought it due to a turbo failure. Previous owner had installed an oil filter sandwich plate and forced performance inline turbo filter with it's own line and a BNR 16G. But it seems they didn't tear the engine down and flush after the turbo failure and bearings went bad. So the engine was bored 0.50 over, honed and rebuilt with king bearings, I believe a nitrided crank, and forged pistons.

Been having some issues that I am trying to figure out, but still have a lot to learn about these things!
Fun cars and a great community!
Welcome ....

Hello everyone!

I am a proud owner of a 2006, 5 speed OBXT with 167k on it and I love every bit of her. I am currently looking into buying some legacy gt suspension, so if anyone has any leads on some, please PM me!
Welcome ...

Both of you need to read up these cars ... Did I mention check your oil, check it often. These cars do not take kindly to being run low or run over due on oil.

I enjoy them so much I have (2), but they are expensive to keep healthy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Welcome ....

Welcome ...

Both of you need to read up these cars ... Did I mention check your oil, check it often. These cars do not take kindly to being run low or run over due on oil.

I enjoy them so much I have (2), but they are expensive to keep healthy.
New here, but not new to my car. Already have a brand new (stock) turbo, stage 1+ exedy clutch, new throw out bearing, lightweight flywheel, catback exhaust and a AVO double din headunit kit. I'm quite used to its little quirks! (especially the oil consumption)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Homework

Welcome ....

Both of you need to read up these cars ... .
I've been reading just about anything I can get my hands on, FSM, romraider and logging, LGT forums, NASIOC, and here. I am even enough of a nerd that I downloaded the factory ROM just to look through all the table and see what sorts of things they do, I'll be ordering a Tactrix cable to replace my VAGCOM as soon as their website is working again.

Any reading recommendations?:nerd: Still working through NSFW's "Incomplete Guide to Tuning"

I've been following the Rotella T6 regimen with a factory oil filter for the recommended 3,750 miles ever since it's been mine, and check it every time I fill up. But I am accustomed to burning oil...my other vehicle is an '84 Toyota Pickup with the original 22R. In fact, now that I think about it the only non-consumable part that has been replaced on the engine is the alternator and starter.:surprise:

BTW @traildogck in my time lurking I've already read many of your posts, some from years ago, just wanted to say thanks for sharing your knowledge and I hope to eventually be able to do the same!

1781 - 1800 of 1846 Posts
About this Discussion
1.8K Replies
779 Participants
Evans609
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing