Subaru Outback Forums banner

1801 - 1820 of 1859 Posts

·
Registered
07 XT
8 Posts
Hi all,

I upgraded from 08 Legacy 2.5i (sedan) to 07 "Legacy Outback" XT (still confused about this designation). This happened almost 2 years ago and aside from full timing job, Grimmspeed lightweight crank pulley, lightweight flywheel and F1 clutch, and Cobb short throw shifter all done by yours truly, I haven't done much to my car due to time and funds. It came with Cobb intake (no airbox and no intake scoop). I added had tint added as well as a push-start remote proximity entry system which was reasonably priced and works great!

The seller warned me about the issue of pushing the car hard in S & S# mode which causes it to have some timing issues. I'd like to iron these out if possible. I just got a Tactrix 2.0 port from Amazon and am just starting to read up on how to get going. I'd love to stiffen up the suspension eventually and possibly lower the car a bit, get lower profile tires with larger rims.

It's good to be here!

·
Registered
Outback 2.5 XT 2005
1 Posts
Hello,
I and my family moved from EU in Canada(BC, Vancouver area) a few months ago and with a tight budget and some specific requirements by me we happily ended up with the above-mentioned car.
A 2005 Subaru Outback XT H4 2.5L 2458CC with 260bhp(or close to that)auto transmission and around 90.000 miles. I can provide VIN if necessary
It was originally in WA state and then imported to Canada, at least that's what I saw on carfax and it's a rebuilt title, 5months into ownership no big issues at least that's my non-expert opinion.
Now to the matter at hand - by no means is it a perfect car and I don't want it to be but winter is here and I would like to do one or two things, first I will tell you want I want and then provide a service bumper to bumper check results

1. headlights - they are so foggy that short beam goes like 70degrees to the left, and it's really short in distance. Ordered a kit from Amazon and see after that, but would love a more modern headlight/aftermarket something if you guys have some suggestions
2. tires - the car has some summer tires and from what people tell me here in Surrey BC there is far to little snow. more rain and since now my wife drives the car more than me, I am looking for some very economic tires - any suggestions?
3. I think the suspension would be next, the car is extremely bouncy over undulations on the road, not shock/damper noise in the cab they feel fine but the service also said they need replacement so I want something to lower the car a bit? not too much, again, all suggestions are welcomed.
4. Since I am new to Subaru (in EU I had a Alfa 159 quadrifoglio and a Opel Omega 3.2) what should I look out for in the Outback?

We love the car, it suits us extremely well and since we are sentimental saps we would like to have it for a very long time.

Now - service pictures - total price for fixing all of them were over 4000CAD and since I bought the car for 4700CAD I was jaw dropped
I fixed the battery with a new bolt and everything is fine but everything else, are these the prices in Nort America?

All input is welcome and please be nice with a newb into Subby world

Thank you very much

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi All, bought a 2006 OBXT here in Bay Area, CA. I drove one XT and loved it, so bought it from a private party, for casual + weekend use. My wife will drive it in weekdays, for short 2-4 miles trips, and I plan to use it over the weekends.

AFTER purchasing the car, I spent a few hours to 'really' understand the car. I am particularly scared reading that this car is not good for "primarily short trips" kind of usage, as it needs to be idled down for nearly 10 mins after each drive.. Is that really true? I'm ok with synthetic oil change every 3k miles, using premium gas, and banjo bolt inspection every 60k miles etc etc. But if I really need to keep it on 10+ mins after every use... I will just sell it out, and go for non-XT Outback.

Please let me know.

Also, please move muy post to a relevant "Advise Needed" thread, if needed.

·
Registered
08 OBXT 5MT
24 Posts
Just purchased an Outback XT for my daily use and to take it up to the slopes. Almost 100k on it so a whole bunch of maintenance is coming up - this forum's DIY guides have been an invaluable resource, a big thank you to you all!

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
15,979 Posts
Just purchased an Outback XT for my daily use and to take it up to the slopes. Almost 100k on it so a whole bunch of maintenance is coming up - this forum's DIY guides have been an invaluable resource, a big thank you to you all!
What year?

·
Master Caster
15,979 Posts
Hi All, bought a 2006 OBXT here in Bay Area, CA. I drove one XT and loved it, so bought it from a private party, for casual + weekend use. My wife will drive it in weekdays, for short 2-4 miles trips, and I plan to use it over the weekends.

AFTER purchasing the car, I spent a few hours to 'really' understand the car. I am particularly scared reading that this car is not good for "primarily short trips" kind of usage, as it needs to be idled down for nearly 10 mins after each drive.. Is that really true? I'm ok with synthetic oil change every 3k miles, using premium gas, and banjo bolt inspection every 60k miles etc etc. But if I really need to keep it on 10+ mins after every use... I will just sell it out, and go for non-XT Outback.

Please let me know.

Also, please move muy post to a relevant "Advise Needed" thread, if needed.
That idle down is only, truely if you are tracking the car or drag racing mult-runs.

Check You Oil, check it often.

·
Master Caster
15,979 Posts
Sorry - 2008
Only because the 2005-2006 tend to blow up more than the 2007 on up. The oil maintenance as well as the alignment specs were revised for the 2007+ to address the banjo/filter oil coking problem as well as some of the *SS end tail-wagging.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello all! I joined the outback club last weekend. I flew from Seattle to Idaho to pick up a nice clean 2008 Outback XT manual by recommendation of a car club member. Looking forward to learning from all your knowledge here and getting some mods done.

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Wrangler, '16 Forester, 89 Crown Victoria Wagon, BMW R9t, 1960 VW Transporter single cab
20 Posts
agree on the idle down not being a problem. Have had two of these cars both 2005 XT manuals, drove the first one ridiculously hard, all kinds of driving, short commutes to work during the week, cross Texas at (extremely) high speed on trips, and had 150,000 miles no engine issues on it when I sold it, because I found one just like it that had been in storage with only 24,000 miles. Only regular maintenance on the engine, including regular oil changes.

·
Registered
2005 Outback L.L. Bean, 3.0 H6 @ 85k and 2000 Outback Sedan Limited @ 206k
260 Posts
Hey everybody! I have been on here a while, several outback, several LGT models, but this is my 1st Outback XT. 210k with a fresh engine and VF46 turbo. It's fun!

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello guys, sorry but I am selling my OB! need a large tow vehicle for the summer.
ITs been the BEST car I have owned. Bought it at 100 k km and driven it for 150 k more over the last 6 years.

Versatile, quite a sleeper! (Manual XT), and so reliable.
Sad to see it go.

Cheers
LF
If interested let me know. Going to the market this week.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, I am a new XT owner.
I bought a 2005 with 225k miles and a bad turbo. I installed a BNR Turbo and found I had some misfiring in Cylinder 2.

Then I got a good deal on a 2016 STI drivetrain with 20k miles and I am now building an XTI!
I should have it on the road this weekend.

·
Registered
2006 Outback XT Limited - Worn out everything.
5 Posts
Just picked up a 2006 XT A/T with 200K on the body/chassis. 150K on the motor which was swapped from a WRX. Upgraded head gaskets, oil pickup, oil pan and a few other items refurbished on the outside before it was put in. So far it's been a ton of fun and nice to be back into a turbo vehicle again. Looking to do some mild upgrades and will be wrapping the car since it's a business vehicle for me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey there!! Just purchased an Outback to replace my 1992 Loyale wagon.

Its a 2006 Outback XT 2.5T with 128 miles. I'll start a build thread sometime with the upgrades and fixes. Im usually a very active forum member.

here are pics of my 2 older wagons and my new one!

Attachments

·
Master Caster
15,979 Posts
Hey there!! Just purchased an Outback to replace my 1992 Loyale wagon.

Its a 2006 Outback XT 2.5T with 128 miles. I'll start a build thread sometime with the upgrades and fixes. Im usually a very active forum member.

here are pics of my 2 older wagons and my new one!
Make sure you read up on the banjo filter issue and if you have a stock turbo I would consider getting a fresh spool on it. Cherry lost hers a couple of weeks ago at 148 K miles.

·
Registered
Soon (hopefully) 2008 Outback 2.5
2 Posts
Hope to be getting an '08 Outback soon

New member - introduction.
I've had several Subies in the past, but were all pre-90's. Turning in my leased '15 Toyota Corolla early, to cut payments and insurance. Waiting for a check to clear (!%!# 10 days to clear at the bank!)

Looking at a (visually) very nice '08 Outback ... very inexpensive because it doesn't shift into 3rd or 4th gears (automatic). I have a bluetooth diagnostics tool, and hope to actually drive it and see what codes I can pull, afterwards. So far, it sounds like possibly a sticky solinoid? Several possibilities, however. I was going to take it for a spin yesterday, but because of the check clearing thing, decided not to drive the 1 1/2 hrs to only go look at it, and not be able to make an offer and bring it home.

Anyway ... that's my story, and I'm stick'n to it! ;-)

Dennis in Petoskey, MI

·
Registered
07 OBXT
52 Posts
New member here based in northern Colorado. Recently acquired an 07 OBXT 5spd w/ 140k. My sister drives an 07 l.l. bean so now we sorta match haha. I've learned a lot from these forums and hope I can contribute some knowledge to the outback community. Car is stock for now but plans to build a fast daily driver / mountain adventure wagon.

Attachments

1801 - 1820 of 1859 Posts