Subaru Outback Forums banner

1841 - 1859 of 1859 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Friends, I am finally going to be maintaining my 2009 2.5XT 5-speed myself instead of having the dealership half-ass it. I've got about 115,000 on the clock, with about 20,000 on a new engine after mine went nuclear at 95,000 (bought pre-owned at 30k and documented oil changes every 3k...). Let the fun begin!

·
Registered
'05 Outback XT Limited -- 2.5 DOHC Turbo -- Auto (wife can't drive manual)
31 Posts
My '02 WRX wagon has carried me on many rally adventures from Maine to Michigan, not to mention daily transport duties. However, 17 winters of PA & NY salt & brine have taken their toll, and at 216k+ miles, the under-body rust repairs are too costly. I am still building a special "rally worker's" Forester, but it's not ready yet. So car shopping commenced with wife out of work (i.e. penny pinching mode) and 16 year old with a permit to keep in mind. Numerous interesting cars got snapped up, I was always "second in line". Then, up popped a high mileage car that I would not have considered -- except I checked with some Dirty Impreza (DIRally now) friends who knew the seller and they encouraged me to take a look. 2005 Outback XT -- super clean underneath, a bunch of new parts, and roomier than my Impreza for rally adventures and gear. It's the Limited model, so it has heated, 8-way adjustable, leather seats, huge sunroof, etc. Since I walk to work these days, the mileage will only increase slowly.👍🏁

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
15,975 Posts
New here, just bought an 05 OBXT as the new daily to use.
Interesting. What type of daily use. What does the rest of the motor and suspension look like.

·
Registered
05 OBXT, 17 Type R, 12 STi
35 Posts
Interesting. What type of daily use. What does the rest of the motor and suspension look like.
Itll be used for daily commuting, some spirted driving and fun in the snow hah while my other two cars are being stored. Suspension wise its BC BR coilovers, Eibach upgraded front and rear sway bars, and pretty much every bushing is gone to polyurethane. Solid pitch stop with group n trans and engine mounts

Motor wise its stock block, Invidia uel header, upipe, dp and catback. But ill be selling the header, uppipe and downpipe

·
Registered
6 Posts

Picked this up about a month ago. 5mt with 149k miles. No service records, but got 2 hours to inspect it under a lift and has a new Mahle OE replacement turbo. Need to do coolant, oil change, and maybe change the CV boots in a bit. Otherwise she's strong!

Now I just gotta decide what I want to do to it...

·
Registered
'05 Outback XT Limited -- 2.5 DOHC Turbo -- Auto (wife can't drive manual)
31 Posts
View attachment 472685

Picked this up about a month ago. 5mt with 149k miles. No service records, but got 2 hours to inspect it under a lift and has a new Mahle OE replacement turbo. Need to do coolant, oil change, and maybe change the CV boots in a bit. Otherwise she's strong!

Now I just gotta decide what I want to do to it...
Great look with the black wheels; I have been thinking about going that way with mine... With my silver WRX, the "silver" OEM alloy wheels were begging to be painted/"dipped"/"bed-linered" -- it was crying out for more contrast! I got my OBXT a couple of months ago, no service records as well, but the body was in fantastic shape for where I live, so I took the chance on buying it. Welcome to the forums!

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5XT MT
2 Posts
Hi everyone,

I'm late to the party but here all the same. We just picked up a pretty swanky '08 OBXT with a 5sp manual and a bunch of fun bits. We've been a loooong time VW family and love manual wagons and options are few and far between in that world now. We live in a proper winter city so the AWD is a nice bonus and we're looking forward to the next few years with this thing. I'd post a picture but this is my first post. I like to wrench a little myself so these forums will be really useful I'm sure. I've already read over some of the suspension threads as I'm intrigued with a stock winter ride and a lowered summer ride so I'm curious to find out if this is possible without the need for swapping parts.

·
Registered
2005 Outback 2.0XT Limited
63 Posts
Hi everyone,

I'm late to the party but here all the same. We just picked up a pretty swanky '08 OBXT with a 5sp manual and a bunch of fun bits. We've been a loooong time VW family and love manual wagons and options are few and far between in that world now. We live in a proper winter city so the AWD is a nice bonus and we're looking forward to the next few years with this thing. I'd post a picture but this is my first post. I like to wrench a little myself so these forums will be really useful I'm sure. I've already read over some of the suspension threads as I'm intrigued with a stock winter ride and a lowered summer ride so I'm curious to find out if this is possible without the need for swapping parts.
welcome besides myself there's a couple more VAG/Audi/VW gear heads here

·
Registered
05XT, 2 DC Audio Lvl3 15", DC Audio 1.2k monoblock, DC Power 270AMP alternator, SUMO 2in. lift,
17 Posts

I have had my XT for about a year and a half. In that time, I've added:
2 DC Audio Lvl3 15's on a DC Audio 1.2k monoblock,
Focal ES 165KX2 K2 Power Series 6-1/2" component speakers on a Kicker 1000.5 IQ amp,
Stinger expert series in the tailgate, and all the doors,
DC Power 270 AMP alternator
Big 3 Upgrade
Interstate Battery 12V 75Ah C Terminal AGM

AND I took it from Denver to Memphis twice!

There is a 2 in. lift, but I did not do that.

I love my XT!

·
Registered
2000 Outback, 2006 Outback XT LTD, 2005 Legacy GT LTD
40 Posts
I got my 2006 XT LTD AT
on the road finally. I bought it at auction with fire damage in the left radiator fan area. I replaced a lot of melted plastic parts, radiator, fan motors, front wiring harness, fuse box, alternator, insulation, etc etc, etc. It took 9 weeks to get the rebuilt title sheet inspection. I did have to change a rear wheel bearing once I got out running and one of the front axels has a bad boot. Otherwise it's in great shape with 89,000 miles.

·
Registered
2000 Outback, 2006 Outback XT LTD, 2005 Legacy GT LTD
40 Posts
Also, to new lift $trut$ for the back hatch, and a new good release cable and latch. I get free coffee now at the Subaru dealership.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Here to show off my 2008 Outback XT 5MT, 111k miles. I purchased it from a friend who bought it at auction with a burnt valve. He rebuilt the engine at 107k, new OEM clutch, timing belt, machined heads, etc.

Installed Mods:
JDM Bilstein BTS5056j Kit
Whiteline sway bars f&r
Whiteline end links
Legacy Spec B alloy front lower control arms (cleaned up and clear coated)
Whiteline KCA334 +caster LCA rear bushings, Whiteline LCA front bushings
Perrin steering damper lockdown kit
Whiteline Rear diff bushing inserts
Primitive Racing 1/8" skidplate
1up USA bike rack
Enkei Raijin 18x8 w/Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 235/45/r18

Purchased but not yet installed:
Group N transmission mount
Group N transmission cross member bushings
Steering rack bushings
Legacy Spec B Alloy rear suspension

Wanted but not purchased:
Rear camber adjustment kit
Shifter bushings?
Cobb Stage 1 tune
WRX 4 piston brake calipers and sticky brake pads

Aesthetics (to be completed...someday):
Plastidip the chrome grill, trim, roof rack and emblems matte black
Window tint
Touch up paint
New passenger rear door (has some ugly dents)

Maintenance:
Oil change every 3,750 miles so you don't clog the turbo oil line screens
Replaced front transaxle oil w/Mobile 1 75w/90
Replaced rear diff oil w/Mobile 1 75w/90
Engine and cabin air filters

The suspension work was a pain in the butt and not cheap, but it really transformed the car. It's so much more composed now. Hard to say if it's the struts, sway bars, caster kit or LCAs because they all went in at the same time. But it feels amazing now. The ride is a bit stiffer but in no way would I describe it as harsh. It still has the full 5" of suspension travel, it's just no longer a noodley mess. Ride height looks unchanged but I didn't measure before and after.

For what it's worth, the mod with the best performance/dollar ratio was the Perrin sterring damper lockdown. It made the steering much more snappy and less vague. It also eliminated the steering wheel vibration I was getting at freeway speed.

Another fun benefit to doing all the suspension work; gone is the clunk I would get crossing into driveways at an angle. I think it was the front lower control arm rear bushings. I still get a tiny bit when slowly turning on very bumpy roads. Could be coming from the steering rack bushings which I have yet to replace.

Next up, install the Spec B rear suspension and research/purchase rear camber adjust trailing arms(?) so I can get an even rear alignment. All the work (except alignment) was done on ramps or jack stands in my garage.

Get a friend, a torque wrench, impact gun, some sockets, box wrenches, do your reading and go to town. It was a bit intimidating at first, but it's all just nuts and bolts. Be careful, take your time, torque to spec and have fun!

Cheers

·
Registered
05XT, 2 DC Audio Lvl3 15", DC Audio 1.2k monoblock, DC Power 270AMP alternator, SUMO 2in. lift,
17 Posts
that is a massive box, must sound great, I didn't go quite as big, 10" kicker.

also looks pretty leveled with all that weight.

they are amazing cars, enjoy.
I wanted bigger subs, and the OB had the perfect size with it's massive trunk space. I am in college, so I don't have a family to haul around so I get to do this sort of thing!

I am looking to add a second battery soon (by the end of the year), and possibly upgrade my 1.2k sub amp to a 2k amp, but we will see!

1841 - 1859 of 1859 Posts