Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5i Premium CVT
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will stay in the city for a few days and most likely will park my car in a parking gargage (move in & out daily). I notice nearly all of the Parking Gargages there have a $10 ~ $15 SUV surcharge on top of regular hour rates.

Since Outback is 'technicially' a wagon, Just wondering whether gen-4 Outbacks always get hit by that SUV surcharge in Parking Garages in Manhattan?

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 i Premium
474 Posts
It depends on what NY thinks they are. Where I live they're classified as wagons.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I park in the garages all the time. Haven't been surcharged yet. Check out bestparking .com app if you have iPhone. Its a great help w/pricing and locations.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5i Premium CVT
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I am using BestParking.com to plan my parking there ahead of time.

Wow, I am actually surprised to learn that gen4 outback are not being hit with that SUV fee in the city. Based on my research on BestParking, here are some notes from garages there:

Icon Parking (the most popular chain in the city)
SUV, MiniVan, Oversize = 181"L/70"H or 75"H (gen4 OB is 189"L and 66"H )

Many other gargages have notes like this:
Beware! Small SUV/MiniVan Pays SUV rate

Well, I guess I will just try my luck there. At least now I can act surprised and argue 'Other garages never charged me SUV rate for this car'.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,766 Posts
I will stay in the city for a few days and most likely will park my car in a parking gargage (move in & out daily). I notice nearly all of the Parking Gargages there have a $10 ~ $15 SUV surcharge on top of regular hour rates.
...:gasp: That's outragious. It's a form of discrimination isn't it? Like charging non-anglo people extra to sit and eat at a diner... How do they justify the charge?

·
Registered
2011 SSM Outback 2.5i Premium
2,094 Posts
FWIW, the NYS DMV classifies the Outback the same way they would classify an SUV. The vehicle type on the registration is SUBN.

I'm surprised, in this day and age, they don't have a database linked to their site that can tell you the rates based on selections you make for year/make/model.

·
Registered
2012 Outback Premium Ruby Red Pearl 2.5 CVT AWP
402 Posts
My '12 OB has virtually the same footprint as my wife's '06 Accord. FWIW The carwash that I frequent usually charges me the regular car rate. However a few weeks ago one guy wanted to charge me the $5 SUV upcharge. I told him it was a wagon and not an SUV and he charged me the regular price.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6 and 2.5 Limited
52 Posts
I haven't had experience with parking garages but my DB car wash hits me for a SUV upcharge.

·
Registered
'14, 2.5 SAP w/Eyesight
118 Posts
I haven't parked my OB in a garage in NYC yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if garages charged SUV prices for OB's. Some garages charge my father's Highlander as a truck. The attendants usually say something like "SUV's are smaller, the Highlander is a truck". Telling them that its based on the Camry platform is of little use.

It doesn't matter if the OB is based on a car platform, is a wagon and doesn't look like an SUV. If the NYC garage wants to up-charge, they'll do it. That's why I try to avoid NYC as much as possible... or take public transportation.

Taking the bus/train also keeps my OB bumper scratch-free!

·
Registered
'18 Accord EX-L 2.0t; Wife's car: '16 3.6r Ltd. w/ Eyesight
855 Posts
The only thing that should be relevant is size, not denomination. Space is a premium in NYC, so it makes sense that if your car takes up more space, you should pay a surcharge.

·
Premium Member
1,131 Posts
It's unfortunate you even have to worry about stuff like this, but then again....

No salt allowed
No large sized sodas
No formula for babies

Lucky you have Mayor Smartypants ;)

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i Premium, CVT, Steel Silver, all-weather package. Upgrades: Tweeter kit, BlueConnect, media hub, remote start, Curt 2" receiver hitch.
1,129 Posts
It's pretty cut and dry if they follow EPA guidelines...

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Anyone know the source for the required SUV surcharge?
Is it a decision made by parking lot management or is it a law passed by NYC bureaucrats?
If it is a regulation in NYC to discriminate against SUV's, do you expect anything less from them?

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,368 Posts
it's set by the chains that own the garages. And it's mostly because lots of new Yorkers went gaga for the ford excursion back in the day. Still a lot of escalades to be seen in garages there. Never been any question of paying it in my outback, in any ny garage I've ever used.

·
Registered
2012 Subaru Outback 2.5 Limited Graphite Grey
10 Posts
I have had to park my '12 OB a few times in private lots in Manhattan, have not been charges a SUV surcharge, though i do not think I've used a municipal lot. My local Hand Car Wash charges an extra $2 SUV charge though, could try to argue but it is a fairly large vehicle so i don't bother.

·
Premium Member
2018 Outback Limited 2.5i Dark Blue Pearl/Ivory w'Eyesight
703 Posts
FWIW, California registers my OBW as SW--Station Wagon.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts