Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2003 Outback Wagon H6, I love the car but recently noticed when I reverse or accelerate from a dead stop there is a slight vibration that lasts about a half second. I am concerned because I dont recall feeling this when I test drove it, I know the dealer replaced the half shaft before I purchased it. Any thoughts or anyone know the problem? Car has 146,500 miles. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
11,882 Posts
LL Bean or VDC?

There's a few possibilities in the drivetrain. CV Shafts, engine or transmission mounts, upper torque arm (mounts from the upper transmission body to the firewall), rear differential or driveshaft u-joint or carrier bearing bushing.

In the remainder: exhaust parts, suspension/steering or something else in the engine compartment has a loose mount.

It all depends on where you hear it from and how often it does it. Do you feel it while driving at any certain speed? Any noise when turning? Any loose feel to the steering or handling? Can you replicate it at a dead stop in park or neutral? Do you feel it in a particular area of the car, say driver's seat, floor or is it something that rattles the dashboard?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not a LL Bean or VDC just an outback wagon upgraded to H6 with cold weather package from the factory. It cannot be replicated in neutral or at a stop and nothing rattles (audibly) just feel it in the pedal and seats for a quick moment. Almost so quick that someone borrowing the car wouldn't bring it back and be like whoa your cars vibrates, but I have owned quite a few cars and am picky so I know subaru wouldn't have made a car that did this. Its the worst in reverse, and one time I took it up a 3 foot hill that is decently steep it was bad then too ( bad to me). Never does it past a take off only from 1,000 to 1,300 RPMs. I always let it come to operating temp. before I drive and I dont beat it at all. Thanks again, I just want to catch it before something gets worse. Maybe its normal? My first Subaru.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any idea what the cost is for that repair, basically JW if I should be ready to drop a grand when I take it in.

·
Registered
5,814 Posts
A front CV joint/half-shaft at 146,000 miles is certainly not unusual.

I had an inner go, that had its own weird symptoms.

·
Premium Member
11,882 Posts
Sounds like it could be an axle. Its been noticed that some aftermarket shafts create noise/vibration in gear. Sometimes just for an instant during torque transfer, sometimes getting up to speed.

You will be able to tell which one was replaced by the condition. It won't be as dirty and dull looking as the old one. Non Subaru axles will have black boots on the joints.

It could also be a control arm bushing or engine/trans mount. Mounts can be checked with the brakes set, in gear and give it a little throttle and see if the drivetrain shifts. Someone will have to be under the hood looking while someone inside works the throttle in D and R. Same with the suspension. Movement can be seen if it is severe.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
4 Participants
colton1947
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing