Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2000 OB Auto
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I need help on some basic questions on rim/wheel.

Hit something hard on high way and it damaged both tire and the rim for my 2000 outback. Searched this site whole afternoon and got valuable information.

But I still have some more (naive ones you may say):

1) Is there any need to have the replacing rim match existing/original ones? Like the weight? Is there any safety issue if weights are different?
2) Is it a good or bad idea to use used but exact ones (from ebay primarily). I am not sure how important the quality of the rim is to driving safety. But I kind of hope the wheels look the same and I really like the original golden'ish color.
3) Can tirerack's sport editing (cheap!) match the quality of the original rim?

Thanks in advance!

·
Banned
2007 Outback XT Ltd
847 Posts
1) Is there any need to have the replacing rim match existing/original ones? Like the weight? Is there any safety issue if weights are different?
2) Is it a good or bad idea to use used but exact ones (from ebay primarily). I am not sure how important the quality of the rim is to driving safety. But I kind of hope the wheels look the same and I really like the original golden'ish color.
3) Can tirerack's sport editing (cheap!) match the quality of the original rim?
1: No, other than a different style will look a little odd. Unless the new wheel is grossly heavier you won't notice a difference. The critical dimensions are the bolt circle pattern and back spacing, which should much match your other wheels.
2:I wouldn't hesitate to buy a _rebuilt_ used wheel, from a reputable company, but any used stuff from eBay is often "as is no warranty", and you really don't know the history or true condition. And most wheels 13 years old are pretty darn corroded and useless.
3:No, the Sport Editions are not as good as OEM. But ........ I would buy a new SE before I would buy a used eBay wheel.

In your situation I would be looking for a single restored OEM wheel:

https://www.google.com/search?q=rem...5572c51b7067a4&bpcl=35466521&biw=1068&bih=611

OR, if your other wheels are corroded more than a little, a complete set of Sport Editions. New wheels really liven up an aging car and make you feel good.

If you have a local tire store that you trust, stop in and see what they have to offer. They can source remanufactured wheels and can advise you on the condition of your remaining three wheels..

Welcome to the Forums!

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

·
Registered
2000 OB Auto
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a lot John for your great inputs!

My other wheels look fine as I live in California and other than some scratches here and there, there is no corrosion at all.

I will check out remanufactured wheels as you suggested.

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
18,102 Posts
calla couple of collision shops and ask where you can get a wheel repaired. Sometimes they can repair your wheel. Sometimes even with what looks like crazy damage. Of course, cracked into 2 pieces is a different matter.

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
I got an oem wheel at Les Schawb for my Jeep. After market tire places have tons of OEM wheels. Call around you should be able to find one easy.

I should also mention, make sure you replace all the tires or get the new tire shaved. Unmatched tire size (even small amounts) is the biggest contributor to early drivetrain failure.

·
Registered
2000 OB Auto
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
calla couple of collision shops and ask where you can get a wheel repaired. Sometimes they can repair your wheel. Sometimes even with what looks like crazy damage. Of course, cracked into 2 pieces is a different matter.
There is a cracked hole in the middle of the rim. I guess that is not repairable?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2000 OB Auto
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I should also mention, make sure you replace all the tires or get the new tire shaved. Unmatched tire size (even small amounts) is the biggest contributor to early drivetrain failure.
Thanks for the reminder. The guy measured it and told me it was OK to change just one. It has about 20k miles. Even with that I was still hesitant. Peace of mind is very costly! And tire price went up a lot lately.

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
Thanks for the reminder. The guy measured it and told me it was OK to change just one. It has about 20k miles. Even with that I was still hesitant. Peace of mind is very costly! And tire price went up a lot lately.
I thought it was 4/32nd difference, which at 20K, you should have passed already. Unless you got a different tire, which was closer in size to what you have.

I just realised, I, really like, commas,,,

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
18,102 Posts
There is a cracked hole in the middle of the rim. I guess that is not repairable?

Thanks.
yeah, probably not.

Sometimes you can find stock 'pull-offs' in sets where someone has bought fancier rims. check around on nasioc. might check ebay and craigslist too. It isn't uncommon for people to have singels-doubles-triples for sale due to wrecks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts