Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, my name is Andy and i have a problem. Shh! Don't tell my wife!

Ok so I'm very new to Subarus. I have worked on them a few times in my career, but never owned one. Last year I bought one really cheap from the car dealer I worked at. Its a 2003 Outback with a manual transmission and........a locked up engine. It has been sitting here for a year now and I'm looking to replace the engine. I am by no means afraid of the work to swap an engine or even make a different engine fit, but I would like to keep it Subaru. So my question is what Subaru turbo engines will fit into my Outback? What will I need? Harness? Computer?

A little background on myself if any are curious. I have been working in car dealerships (Kia, Ford, and Chrysler) for close to 12 years. In November I left the car dealership/repair life to work on cranes and heavy equipment. Collecting/building cars is kind of a hobby of mine. I have 6 vehicles. 3 of which are projects.

·
Premium Member
2006 Subaru SUS
864 Posts
Iwire is the company to inquire for your wiring needs.

·
Registered
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium
1,189 Posts
Andy a few more details will help others to answer your questions.

Please tell us what engine is currently fitted to the vehicle and if it currently has a turbo or not (as you have advised you want to install a turbo engine).

The general rule of thumb is that if the vehicle is not fitted with a turbo engine it is not worth the effort to try and install a turbo engine into the vehicle. As you are a mechanic this may not apply in this case.

If the vehicle currently does not have a turbo engine installed you will need many additional items including, exhaust, ECU/ECM maybe the BIU (body integrated unit), wiring harness and you may want to install the front and rear diff from a turbo vehicle so you can match the normal higher diff ratio installed in turbo vehicles.

I am sure there are other parts as well and other members may be able to help further.

Seagrass

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Currently the outback has a 2.5 non turbo engine. I think I have talked myself into going the easiest route possible to get this thing back on the road. So either another 2.5 or I have read that a 2.0 would be fairly easy as well. I'm not scared of swapping a turbo engine into the car, I am just at a point where I have 4 project vehicles. And not enough time working 50 plus hours a week.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts