Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the dealer, for 30K maintenance and he said the timing belt was showing signs of wear. He suggested replacement at a cost of over $800. I have never heard of timing belt replacement before about 60K, and it is recommended at 105K. The car has only 34K. Has anyone every heard of timing belt replacement so soon. Is there an easy way to check, because I don't know if showing signs of wear = the need to replace far sooner than recommended.

Any advice would be appreciated.

A. Lee

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,815 Posts
If there is wear, ask him what caused premature wear then ask why it wouldn't be covered by Subaru.

I think you may get a different answer when you ask for proof.

60k mile interval is severe driving with towing. 105k is the standard.

·
Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,477 Posts
Timing belt replacement is required periodic maintenance on all 4-cyl outbacks of that vintage. Replacement is indicated at 105,000 miles or 105 months, whichever comes first. A 2006 car would have been built in 2005, so you are likely near the 100 month mark give or take.

It's no joke. If the belt breaks at highway speed, the engine will pretty much self destruct. You might find a better price at a competing mechanic.

A thorough timing belt job should include new belt, tensioner, idler pulleys, water pump and thermostat. Some shops try to lowball it by replacing only the belt. Find out what that $800 estimate actually covers so you can compare apples to apples.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts