Subaru Outback Forums banner

Newbie with a question about buying a used Outback

2K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  hallux 
#1 ·
I'm looking at maybe buying a 2011 Outback (4cyl) with about 100k miles on it. It has the CVT transmission, I have heard about problems with this model/transmission. I'm curious to know what the collective thought is about the early CVT's.

Would you consider a 2011 with a CVT and 100K miles yes or no. Asking price right now is $6,500

#2 ·
the 100,000 mile extended warranty is up on it now. ~ or about now.

so if it craps out, you need to be ready to pay for a rebuilt one.

I guess you could get a warranty on the drivetrain. (like a 3rd party warranty company that is known to pay out, BUT. how much will it cost for such coverage if the warranty company knows that these original CVTs have problems and yours was not fixed yet.).

edit: and that is a 31000AH780 for 2011-2012 outbacks. you might confirm with the dealer how much it costs for a factory rebuilt/reman one today.

#7 ·
before July 1st I would log a call with SOA that it stalled when coming to a stop at a stop sign a few times.

0:)

#5 ·
My '11 has about 92K and, knock on whatever, is still smooth and we've owned it since new. I believe the Subaru inspection is expiring this July and I admit I need to take mine in although I don't know what it will prove or disprove.

And that price DOES seem low. I'm seeing them nearer to $10-12K with that mileage. As for models with "issues" I believe every one has something, just like every one of any brand. Our OB was purchased as our "last new car" not with morbid thoughts, but we don't see any reason it can't clock well into the 200K region and being in our early 60's at the time we figured that 200K would put us near 80 years old. Given the alternate vehicles at our disposal I see no reason that intention can hold true.

#8 ·
My '11 has about 92K and, knock on whatever, is still smooth and we've owned it since new. I believe the Subaru inspection is expiring this July and I admit I need to take mine in although I don't know what it will prove or disprove.
I think you misread the letter. The inspection is in case you think there is something wrong. I believe the wording was "no action required at this time". The July expiration was for folks receiving the letter that already had over 100K miles on the vehicle, they got a grace period of one year from the mailing of the letters, regardless of mileage.

Post 11 in this thread is by someone that works at a dealer, he corroborates my info above. http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums.../429481-cvt-warranty-extension-2010-15-a.html That thread also has the text of the TSB and may have a copy of the owner letter that was sent (I only went to page 2).

#6 ·
The price seems low. Is this from a private seller or a dealer? Is it an "As Is" sale or does it come with a warranty? What does the CarFax look like?

I personally would not consider it. Not enough high mileage CVT's out there to convince me it's a transmission for the long term.

#11 ·
Check the CARFAX and check out the car firsthand to get a vibe of the care it received. I just bought a 2011 last fall with 117k on the clock. I've spent a lot of energy worrying about the CVT but it has performed very well. There is a cold-weather howl that goes away within minutes I'd like to resolve but it doesn't affect performance.

I paid around $11k out the door with some hail damage but the rest of the vehicle was truly immaculate. Your price does seem low so I would be suspicious - drive some other 2011 to know how they feel and take them for a long test drive to let everything warm up.

Every used car is a gamble but there are good ones out there.

#12 ·
Car fax is ok. Today I simply call that brand dealer during slow hours 11:30 am and tell them Im thinking about buying a car and checking for Recall service history gve them the vin# then ask what its last service was, when, where snd mileage etc. The Auto maker has way more info than CarFax. My truck I actually got the seller to have the dealer fax me its history. 15pages of notes and serviced history etc.

I came across two rolled back ODO cars making this call where CarFax showed nothing.

#13 ·
Yep, Carfax is one tool in the toolbox but it is certainly not a bible by any stretch of the imagination. It often fails to pick up crucial information that is pertinent to your buying vs. walking away decision. So use the Carfax report, but take the time and effort to perform your own due diligence. Your bank account will thank you.

#15 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.