Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
It's a fine looking car. Is your grandmother from Pasedena? ;) If you had cleaned those tires the picture of the outside would look like a new car. Inside doesn't look bad either.

This is the first time I noticed there's a raised roof on those Outback's, like it bubbles up at the rails, after the initial front roofline. Saw them in person at the dealership when I got my '04 OBS but don't remember it being like that.

I think it's interesting Subaru doesn't put some sort of sleek, fashionably designed cover on these engines. Yours looks very much like mine, aside from the extra dirt, even though they are eight years apart. Checking on this I see the 2005 Outback with H6 does have a cover, not sure what else might too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I took $1,000 off the price for this. My grandmother lives in Spokane, but the car was taken care by my grandfather who would baby his cars. Yes, I will remove the CB radio

·
Super Moderator
6,009 Posts
roo said:
This is the first time I noticed there's a raised roof on those Outback's, like it bubbles up at the rails, after the initial front roofline.
Yeah, that bubble has always been an interesting design feature to me. I can't really figure out why it's there, or what purpose it serves. Clearly from the inside it gives me a few more inches of headroom, especially for the front 2 seats, but other than that, it seems strange.

With that said, it is one of those "scooby designs" that I absolutely love. The 2nd Generation OB's had them too, the 3rd Gen. has minimized the bubble, but the roof-racks still seem to sit on a plane slightly higher than the actual roof.

Gotta love the bubble.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I know of a 95 Legacy wagon that definitely doesn't have the bubble raised roof. I forget if 96 was the first official year for the Outback designation, & I'm not sure whether the bubble maybe differentiated the Legacy from the Outback at first?

FWIW, while shopping for my Outback last December my salesman & I discussed that very feature. I thought it looked a little odd, & it certainly had a profound effect on the design of the front sunroof. His explanation was that that little bit of raised height let the wagon achieve a maximum interior cargo capacity just a hair over that of a Ford Explorer, & that Subaru used that fact in advertising. I don't remember if he meant that was only true at the time (96 ish) or if that was still the case during the 3rd gen wagons.

Having recently inspected an 01 H6 Bean wagon, I can say that the "idiot cover" has been present on the H6 engine since its introduction... unsure about 3rd gen H4's.

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,696 Posts
The raised roof is not on the Legacy version even within the same model year. It must have cost some $$$ to make another set of body stamping molds.

But it is nice having more vertical space inside, you can lay a laundry dryer on its back and slide it in.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
5 Participants
The_Lizard
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing