Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Subaru Legacy 2.5L AT 4WD
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it true that newer Outbacks have a timing chain instead of belt? Since when did they switch to chains? I have a -99 Wagon but considering upgrading to a 2001 and above if the rumor is true. :smile2:

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,305 Posts
Is it true that newer Outbacks have a timing chain instead of belt? Since when did they switch to chains? I have a -99 Wagon but considering upgrading to a 2001 and above if the rumor is true. :smile2:
6 cylinder ones have timing chains.

4 cylinders from 1995-2012 have belts.

·
Registered
1999 Subaru Legacy 2.5L AT 4WD
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, now I want a 6-Cylinder! :)

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,305 Posts
Ok, now I want a 6-Cylinder! :)
they need high octane gas just like a turbo. (so it kind of makes em, not as economical as a daily driver as the plain jane ones).

I have one 4 cylinder and one 6 cylinder.

good buys: find a 2001-2004 VDC one, listed as needing a head gasket job, and putting a used engine from japan in it.
the engine is like $700 to buy, plus $500 to install. on top of buying the car for less than $1000.

VDC have a nicer AWD then LLBean, and get lumped into the same hopper for price.

Reactions: 1 Lucky Texan

·
Registered
2012 OB , 2017 Impreza
3,293 Posts
Lets not get all worked up over "belt" -vs- "chain". Each one has good and bad characteristics.

The main thing to keep in mind is that THEY BOTH WEAR OUT and will need to be replaced at some point. The chain is MUCH more expensive to replace. (every sproket and plastic guide will need to be replaced.) Also much of the engine needs to be torn apart because they are not intended to be replaced. The engineers want you to buy a new car.

With a belt, there are no sprokets nor guides and they are designed to be replaced on a cadence.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
2,182 Posts
I have the 2013, 4Cyl timing chain. My head gaskets went at 120K, and due to this being a chain - it made the job a lot harder and more expensive. 3K and 3-4 weeks for Subaru to get the job done. The independent shop that did the head gaskets on my older subaru wont even do this job because he only has 1 extra workers and its too big of a job. He did 2 head gasket jobs on my last subaru with the belt.

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,715 Posts
The new oil spec of dexos1Gen2 was adopted designed to reduce timing chain wear.

This is why you should, if given a choice when you buy your oil at Wally World or auto store, to always buy oil with the latest standard. Dexos1 is very good but dexos1Gen2 is better. It's always on the front of the bottle.

SN oil meets spec but the dexos standard is higher but likely not as good as the euro ACEA specs but don't hung up on the ACEA. dexos1Gen2 is the way to go.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,393 Posts
I got a 2002 LL Bean H6 for a friend. Really good condition and we drove it home from the bay.

Has a tick in the engine. I think it's an idler or tensioner or something. Not worth bothering with.

Been driving for 6+ mo now completely trouble free. The worse thing about that car is someone did a bad job blending some fender bender. But for 1500$ who cares.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,325 Posts
What @brucep said.

And in addition, toothed belts are more efficient than chains, they are quieter, they are lighter weight, and they don't require lubrication.

I think timing belts get a bad rap because of sloppy maintenance habits. I've rarely heard of problems with properly maintained belts.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
There once was a gambling bartender
who fell behind on the vig to his lender
He hocked his car to save his bar
and limericks are a drag.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts