Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
'16 Legacy Ltd 3.6R and '12 OB Prem, 2.5, CVT, Moonroof, 440W Sound System (not impressed),Yakima 16S Skybox, and a cool roof mounted raygun (cloaking device active) Kept the '00 Camry w/190K, Trade
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We bought a new 4 cylinder 2012 OB several months ago. We put about 3.5K city miles on it and had the dealer change the oil. Then we put another 3K on it during a road trip of mostly highway miles.

This is my wife's car and she rarely drives far enough to fully warm up the car. I'm thinking I should switch to synthetic oil using a "severe" changing schedule. What do you think of this plan and if you agree, when should I start?

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Telar your running the old 2.5 which is fine on standard oil if you want to stick with standard vs synthetic.

However it depends on your use and conditions more than anything. The owners manual states upwards of 7000 miles per change pending conditions etc. I have found that our very mild climate during most of the year and some what easy use that running 7000 miles is perfectly fine. My other car is a old turbo VW which pretty much requires synthetic or we have big issues so I just buy one big batch of synthetic oil and use it in both cars.

However I did not switch the 2.5 to synthetic till 20K given thats what an old subaru mechanic suggested with my prior 2.5 which even at 180,000 miles ran like a champ and had very little if any oil use. My current 2010 same engine you have so far appears to be the same way at 42,000 miles and only switching to synthetic at 20,000 miles.

The mileage in the older 2.5 gets far better around 15,000 miles and by 20,000 miles seems to be very consistant and predictable where as early on it wasn't returning all that great of mileage. My prior 2.5 an older version of the 2010 -2012 2.5 was exactly the same way regarding seeing improved mileage at the 15K mark and slightly better by the 20K mark. After that my old 2.5 was rock solid predictable mileage till about 160,000 miles when I started to see about 1-2mpg decline on the average.

·
Registered
557 Posts
i noted that when visiting my dealer for service that my '12 2.5 was listed as using conventional oil.

a 2 year/24k mile maintanance package was included with my outback purchase and i have been bringing the outback to the dealer for service.

this last oil change, at approx. 15k miles, the service tech left an almost full bottle of oil in the passenger foot area.

i thought that was odd and when i got home i look at it and it was subaru branded synthetic.

i guess my outback is now using synthetic oil :)

and, maybe because of the number of miles i have... i have noticed a bit of increase in MPG and smoothness in the engine.

or, because of the switch to synthetic?

co-ing-ke-dinc?

i dunno.

joel

·
Registered
'05 2.5i H4 4-Speed Auto w/Sportshift
514 Posts
I typically switch to full synthetic when a new vehicle has at least 3,000 to 8,000 miles on it.

You just want to be sure the engine is broken in before switching, as the break-in process needs to happen, otherwise, the engine won't get broken in.

You can typically tell when a new engine is broken in as it will most times go from using a bit of oil when brand-new to using no oil between changes. That is a sign, in my opinion, that it is OK to switch over to FS.

·
Registered
'99 OB Ltd (R.I.P.), '00 RS, '04 FXT
113 Posts
I would extend the oil drain intervals to 7,500 miles with synthetic. If you're not sure if the oil can hold up to those conditions, just do a used oil analysis. My daughter's 2000 RS does fine on conventional oil with 5-6k mile intervals and severe conditions.

-Dennis

·
Registered
166 Posts
I use synthetic oil exclusively in my vehicles, even though the pickup has an antediluvian chunk of iron under the hood (a 3.9L V-6 that uses throttle-body FI, and is essentially nothing but 3/4 of Chrysler's old classic 318 V-8). I use synthetic because it's better lubricant.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Obvioulsy I will be using a FS when I pick my '13 3.6 up next week. I will be changing to Amsoil at my first oil change which will be at 5,000 - 7,000 miles the first time. Now that Amsoil has an OEM FS at a lower price point I am going to "pass" on the extended drain that I am used to and stay with the OEM drain recommendation until I install a by-pass filtration system.

·
Registered
2013 OB 3.6R SAP
203 Posts
Do you say "obviously" because you are affiliated with Amsoil? I ask because the owners manual does not require synthetic for the 3.6.

Having said that, thanks for the reference on the OE Amsoil. I'll probably go that way myself. Do you know what group the base stock is for the OE oils?

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited/2.5L/CVT
394 Posts
The Amsoil OE and XL lines use the same Group 3, base stock blend. Their additive chemistry is also very similar, the difference being that the XL has a higher additive "treat" rate. This enables the XL to last for 10,000 miles/6 months, vs the 7500 mile/6 month nominal service life of the OE product. Note that in applications where an oil life monitor is employed (GM, Honda, etc), you can use this as the basis to change oil - even if these intervals are longer than the 10k or 7.5k intervals for these formulations.

TS

1 - 9 of 9 Posts