Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Outback Ltd 3.6r
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, given my plugs are now 8 years old, and while some claim the plugs last a lot longer than 60,000 miles, I'm thinking about replacement. I've noticed the mileage has very gradually been going down, now averaging around 21.3 in daily driving, from what was around 22.2-22.5 a couple years ago, for this time of year. (3.6R Limited)

In looking at the NGK site, they list several different plugs:

SILFR6C11 the factory plugs, which in the pictures appears to have the lowest quality soldering of the point out of the bunch. They also list Ruthenium, H-Power, V-Power, and Iridium IX. Has anyone tried any of the others, or should I just stick with the OE plug? (All are labelled as Iridium plugs, although the V-Power have a thicker electrode than the others).

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
12,471 Posts
What do you mean by "soldering of the point"? I've never seen a NGK plug come apart. Leak through the seal at the base, yes, after years of use and a lot of miles. You'd see a brown ring where the ceramic meets the metal.

I've been using the IX in my boosted EZ30D and they work great. Subaru does suggest 60k in the 3.0 and 3.6, but with the IX and the temperature rating of the OEM plugs, using good high octane gasoline and keeping the PCV valve clean, you can go further.

·
Registered
2012 Outback Ltd 3.6r
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you look at the pictures on the NGK site, the OE plug has a blob of solder or something where the very fine/thin point is attached to the thicker shaft of the electrode. - Hard to describe, but the thin point of the electrode looks less finished or refined than the others as a result.

I'll try and grab the pictures and post them up if I can. But if the IX or V-Power plugs work as well, I may go with them. - Pricing is all over the place on the plugs as well, for the 5 or 6 different Iridium plugs their site indicates work on the 3.6R Tribeca & Outback.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts