Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Impreza Sport, 2003 Toyota Highlander 3.0 FWD, 2009 Outback XT Limited 5MT - R.I.P.
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well it's about that time of year, where I post another sob story of how my money pit of an amazing car strikes again.

Clutch went out (~150,000 miles) with NO warning whatsoever (I've been letting a friend drive it for the past two months, completely coincidence right??). It threw a whatchamacallit up the transmission and voila! no more run.

My mechanic can't find a used tranny, and so he's quoting me an arm and a leg for a new one from Subaru.

I just can't take it anymore.

You guys didn't lie when you said these things will take all your hard earned dough.

Any recommendations? I don't think I'll be able to sell the thing, even if I were to fix it --- here come buy my awesome Subaru; it's on it's third engine and second clutch and second transmission, what else could go wrong?! Or maybe I could say, HEY THE ENGINE ONLY HAS 12,000 MILES ON IT!!! AND it has a BRAND NEW CLUTCH. And TRANSMISSION. GET IT WHILE IT'S HOT!!!!

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

·
Premium Member
2006 Outback Sedan LLBean
625 Posts
Do you have an alternative to fixing it? You're right, no one's buying a 200k mi car. No matter how new the engine is. Is it your daily driver? Is it the entire trans or just the clutch? Clutch job I'd do. Maybe one of those online trans places that you get a rebuilt trans and ship them yours back? I remember that being a thing with engines at one time.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,307 Posts
in the classifed here is a gold 2008-09 XT around westchester county, ny for $6200. low miles.

part out what you got.

____

try sourcing a trans from subaru shops/ junk yards.

PMP in Pennsivyania.

that subaru engine rebuilder in Bolton Vermont. that advertises on craigslist (maybe he buys whole cars, and has them outback).
@rasterman may suggest similar around boston.

however: I would think it "HAS " to be a 2007 -2009 XT automatic. not a legacy GT, or a H6 one,

...or a 2005-2006 XT. = no VDC in those, (so no electrical connections, or mechanical parts that are unique to the VDC cars)

·
Registered
2013 Impreza Sport, 2003 Toyota Highlander 3.0 FWD, 2009 Outback XT Limited 5MT - R.I.P.
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you have an alternative to fixing it? You're right, no one's buying a 200k mi car. No matter how new the engine is. Is it your daily driver? Is it the entire trans or just the clutch? Clutch job I'd do. Maybe one of those online trans places that you get a rebuilt trans and ship them yours back? I remember that being a thing with engines at one time.
It's as daily a driver for my situation. It's our only car for when we need a car, if that makes sense.

It's the entire transmission. The throwout bearing ruined it all. I would've paid for just the clutch and that was my original plan, but I've already put enough money into this car so I'm extremely leery of putting another cent into it.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
in the classifed here is a gold 2008-09 XT around westchester county, ny for $6200. low miles.

part out what you got.

____

try sourcing a trans from subaru shops/ junk yards.

PMP in Pennsivyania.

that subaru engine rebuilder in Bolton Vermont. that advertises on craigslist (maybe he buys whole cars, and has them outback).

@rasterman may suggest similar around boston.

however: I would think it "HAS " to be a 2007 -2009 XT automatic. not a legacy GT, or a H6 one,

...or a 2005-2006 XT. = no VDC in those, (so no electrical connections, or mechanical parts that are unique to the VDC cars)
I read all that and I think headache. If I had time and money and some more time I might look into all that.

And it's also a 5spd so I know that makes things a little more different (and difficult).

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,696 Posts
aren't there JDM transmissions?

a local shop rebuilt my 5spd for $2K when it ate 2nd gear.

how does TO bearing destroy the trans?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,307 Posts
I read all that and I think headache. If I had time and money and some more time I might look into all that.

And it's also a 5spd so I know that makes things a little more different (and difficult).
it is not just 5 speed.

its the particular gear ratio of the XT.

the good news: the subaru 5EAT are pretty reliable,
so getting one shipped to you from a wreck with known miles should be a pretty trouble free transplant.

and its not like new england is subaru poor,...vs. say southern california.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Silver part is supposed to be smooth I'm told. SoA says (he called them) they always just put a new tranny in. No idea what condition the clutch is in currently.

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 OutBean, 2005 LGTW
1,428 Posts
There's a throwout bearing snout replacement sleeve that's available to fix that problem. It's a lot cheaper than a new transmission my friend.

https://www.flatironstuning.com/p-2...t-throwout-bearing-and-sleeve-repair-kit.aspx

Seems I've seen them cheaper elsewhere, so you may shop around. I just wanted to get you a link ASAP

If you're done with the car, and you're relatively close by I may be interested. PM me if you'd like to think about getting rid of it. Otherwise, good luck!

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
2006 OutBean, 2005 LGTW
1,428 Posts
Reactions: rasterman

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone - part is ordered and my stress level has dropped dramatically.

I need to sell Nigel ASAP after he's fixed, or somehow convince the Mrs. that it can be my project car...
@aesthetic.rake I'm a tad bit south of Jefferson, and I'll probably post a listing on Autotrader at some point in the future.
Unfortunately(?) I know how much this car is sought after. I'd probably buy this car from myself if I were single... That being said, I'll still let you know when it's on the market.

Now if I can only get Massachusetts to send me the title...

·
Registered
2006 OutBean, 2005 LGTW
1,428 Posts
Thanks everyone - part is ordered and my stress level has dropped dramatically.

I need to sell Nigel ASAP after he's fixed, or somehow convince the Mrs. that it can be my project car...

@aesthetic.rake I'm a tad bit south of Jefferson, and I'll probably post a listing on Autotrader at some point in the future.
Unfortunately(?) I know how much this car is sought after. I'd probably buy this car from myself if I were single... That being said, I'll still let you know when it's on the market.

Now if I can only get Massachusetts to send me the title...
Didn't you just put a motor in that car? What else can go wrong? (famous last words right? lol!) You're about to put a clutch in it. Pull the banjo filters out of the turbo lines and keep up on your fluids. They can be and are quite reliable and honestly, you've already done the big parts so why not stick with it if you like it?

Cars from Massachusetts huh? I don't think I'd be interested unfortunately.. don't they salt the roads there? I'm spoiled by rust free California cars and after having purchased a 911 from New York, I vowed never to buy another car that came from a road salt state.

·
Registered
2006 OutBean, 2005 LGTW
1,428 Posts
Why has the car been through 3 engines?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Why has the car been through 3 engines?
Here's some light reading: https://www.subaruoutback.org/forum...e-times-nigel-least-since-i-ve-known-him.html

Only 11 pages so it shouldn't take you too long.

YES. The car is from MA. The first 100,000+ miles were driven along salt-lined roads. I did not have any pleasure of driving any of these miles, as I purchased it right around that mileage for the car, but 1,000 miles on the second engine.

I don't know why the first engine failed. I believe the first owner towed something with it on a consistent basis and probably drove it like a turbo. The second owner bought it through a Toyota dealership and bought the extended warranty (WHO DOES THAT?!) which came in very handy as for some reason or another the engine gave out while his wife was driving it. The warranty company replaced the engine, and they sold it shortly thereafter - to me. I thought it still had a full warranty on it; it only had the remaining $2700 that hadn't been used of the warranty.

I killed the second engine because I drove it across these United States in 5th gear. Rarely any speed variation, yadda yadda yadda.

When the check engine light came on (sorry Rasterman, I KNOW you told me multiple times) I ignored it AFTER a mechanic said oh nothing's wrong don't worry about it. What was wrong was the 4th cylinder runs lean and can mess things up like no other, especially after ignoring warning signs.

So on a fateful day in 2016 driving up the grapevine while trying to pass someone in Sport mode....

And thanks for the banjo advice, I had those removed when they put in engine #3 at a dealership somewhere in the middle of nowhere, CA.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Didn't you just put a motor in that car? What else can go wrong? (famous last words right? lol!)
The first $25,000 are the tough pills to swallow. Everything after is a piece of cake right?

·
Registered
2006 OutBean, 2005 LGTW
1,428 Posts
Tell me you're off the stock tune by now

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 20 of 31 Posts