• Nissan Frontier

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI im thinking of replacing my old 1995 toyota pickup with an midsize suv or truck for towing and real offroading. What should i get?

2005 Toyota 4runner

2005 Nissan Pathfinder (If i pick this i would wait until next year)

2005 Toyota Tacoma

2005 Nissan Frontier

·
Registered
352 Posts
I just checked out the new Tacoma this weekend. Very nice truck but a little too large for my tastes. Toyota is offering a six speed manual with the v6. That would be fun. :D Nissans aren't bad, but I'd take a Toyota anyday.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I had a '90 Toyota SR-5 pickup, and it was great. It was an extra cab with the sport seats. I test drove a 4-runner before buying the Pilot, and didn't like it as well. The rear side-window design leads to a HUGE blindspot, it was too tall for my taste, and narrower than the Pilot inside. I never did like Nissans too much.

If you mostly haul your own butt around, and maybe an occasional motorcycle or yard of mulch, get the Tacoma. If you have family to haul around and hit the occasional fire trail or snowy road, get a Pilot (ditch the wimpy stock tires, though). If you do some REAL stump jumping, get the 4-runner.

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,696 Posts
Around here, it's a Toyota Highlander, trophy wife, cell phone, and bad driving. Last year I barely managed to skid my OB to a stop when one of those idiots did a right-turn-on-red directly into my path.

(If I'd had the head gasekt problem then, I would have nailed her.)
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Administrator
4,268 Posts
The new 4Runners are offroad monsters ;) Stock out of the box, these things can run with the best of 'em! Two loyal Jeepster buddies of mine both had problems with their newer Jeeps and one decided to trade in for a 4Runner... shortly after the other followed suit. Mind you these are guys that formerly hated everything Japanese, but one of our former co-workers has a 1983 Toyota "Mystery Truck" which has 1,200,000 miles on it, is completely rusted out, runs like a wild stallion, and repetedly tore their Jeeps out on the trail :D

I think they were kinda convinced that they should try something else for a change and so far they haven't looked back. I ocasionally take my OB out with them when I go back to Illinois (as thats where they all reside) but my car usually gets a bad hand delt to it in comparison :p

I vote and firmly stand behind the new 4Runner above and beyond any of the other choices :29:

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
go look at the interior and genl appearance of 10 10-yr old Nissan trucks, then do same with Toyos. you'll see that toyotas just plain hold up longer in terms of everything but the basic drivetrain. even there, they are pretty much state of the art, just that nissan is less far behind than in other areas. i'd get one of the Toys. (and in fact plan to supplant my OBS with a Taco 4WD for serious NM and Mexico goat track action)

·
Registered
352 Posts
I may have changed my mind on this one. Looked at a new Frontier and they seem very nice for the price. Good looking pickup in my opinion. The 4.0 makes 265 hp and 284 lb ft of torque. Best of all, Nissan is offering a six speed with the king cab models. Built one online and it was sub 25k. As soon as my local dealer gets a 6 speed in stock, I'm gonna take it for a spin. I've been thinking about getting back into a pickup... now I'm thinking harder. Especially since my girlfriend is certain her next car is going to be a subie.

·
Registered
131 Posts
You said you need it for towing and off-roading, right? So it's not an everyday-use vehicle, for commuting short (or long) distances on nice paved roads. Save some money and go with the Frontier. It's not a Toyota (neither does it have a Toyota sticker price), but it's just as reliable, and they're great off-road. I had two Nissan pickups, a 1988 (owned for 10 years and put only had to put a battery and one set of tires into it, apart from oil changes and tune), and a 1989, which I drove with import camper from Canada to the US southwest every year (with lots of rough off road in Utah, Arizona and Baja). Bought 'em both new, neither truck ever broke down, acted up, or failed to start. Ever. They're the ultimate workhorses. Cheap to buy, cheap to run, and they just keep going.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I've never had any extensive experiece with Toyota pickups, but I've heard all the good stories, even from a buddy whose parents have a '96 Toyota pickup with just under 200k on it. Original clutch, plugs, wires, maybe 2 sets of brakes, some tires and a battery or two. That's it. They have no plans to get rid of the thing either.

A while back I frequently borrowed an '86 Nissan pickup for several weeks at a time. 4WD, z24 4-banger engine, 5 speed, no frills. The thing was rock-solid. The owner did absolutely NOTHING to it, and the **** thing still kept running. When I say nothing, I mean it. The exhaust fell off from the cat back when I was driving, I never even looked back. (amazing how much more power the thing had) The headlights didn't work when I got it once, so I spent an hour cleaning the rusted contacts on the headlights themselves. The brakes simply stopped working when I had it, apparently due to front pad wear and several chunks of pads falling off. I kept driving it for another week as I had no other transportation. (stupid? extremely. Was I in control of the vehicle? yes, thank god it was a 5 speed)

The frame eventually rusted out and the poor thing was retired to farm duty. I'm told it's still running.

Moral of the story? Nissans keep on running even if you don't put a friggin' dime into them!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
11 Participants
etzel
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing