Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I passed one of these in Canda over the weekend. I live in VT where we get a lot of Canadian traffic but jad never seen one of these before. Looks like a dead-ringer competitor for the Forester (albeit larger), wonder why they don't seel these stateside? (I searched the forums and only saw "Xtrail" mentioned in one other place, by an Australian...)

http://www.nissan.ca/en/vehicles/xtrail/index.html#mainFlashContent

look familiar?

-Peter

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
i think they DO sell em stateside. at least, i've seena few down here, and i don't think they had Mexican license plates.

strange, isn't it, how now EVERYONE has decided to make a Subaru...

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
hmmmm....maybe they WERE Mexican vehicles, as we're within 10 miles of border here. they get all kinds of interesting vehicles in Juarez that you don't usually see in the US...lots of euro stuff, and even the 2 stroke GP-replica type streetbikes (think 250cc and 140+ mph).

somehow i don't see it as taking away too many Xterra customers. this whole mini SUV mkt seems to be on a major boom, maybe as people realize that they avoid some of the worst excesses of the big ones while retaining many of the advantages...?? just wait til BMW jacks up the MINI and adds AWD.....

·
Registered
70 Posts
I test drove an X-trail a few months back, and have generally good impressions of the vehicle. I drove a CRV shortly after, and found them both very similar. Nissan has been selling the X-trail everywhere else in the world except North America for several years. According to Canadian Media, Nissan thought the vehicle would do well in Canada because we are reputedly more concerned about fuel economy than our friends in the US.

They seem to have been correct, I've seen a fair amount of them on the road, and I wouldn't be surprised if it is outselling the XTerra and Pathfinder. The only Forester I drove was the XT, which is in a whole different league, so I can't compare. I loved the F. XT, but ended up choosing an 05' Outback 2.5i, and love it!

JR

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Yeah they seem to be selling quite well. I think they are targetted at the CRV and Rav-4. They are a bit larger and have an interesting interior, but the dynamics are not as good as on the Honda and RAV-4.

One interesting thing is that it is one of the very first commercial application of nano technology. If I recall correctly, the bumpers are covered with a nano-tube based paint which is highly resistant to scratches.

·
Kiwi Moderator, ,
1,142 Posts
We have these here in NZ - and practically they seem to be more of a competitor for the RAV 4 and CRV just as suggested by Sduford, but also for the Ford escape and the Mazda Tribute and perhaps the Hyundai SantaFe as well - In some of the reviews they are also compared to the Forester which technically is in the same category. The X-Trail tends to be more competent off road.

Over here at least it is a lot more expensive than the X and XS Forester.

Here's a couple of links:

http://xtramsn.co.nz/motoring/0,,6429-1117698,00.html

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3158866a2021,00.html (note that interestingly the Forester is NOT in this review of 7 small SUV's!)

http://www.subaru.co.nz/Roam/About_Subaru/News/index.php?article=620 (... Forester topped a list of vehicles including the Honda CR-V, Toyota RAV4, Nissan X-Trail, Mazda Tribute and Ford Escape. Forester has also been designated a "best pick" and won a top crashworthiness rating in frontal offset crash tests conducted by the IIHS...)

http://carpoint.ninemsn.com.au/portal/alias__carpointau/tabID__6485/ArticleID__6177/DesktopDefault.aspx

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, I'll bite, only because I don't pay a lot of attention to this segment... how is the Forester in a "different league" than the RAV4, CRV, or even X-trail? They all appear to be high-roof car-based vehicles vs. "true" truck-based SUVs.

I didn't look for any other vehicle besides my little Impreza 'fake' Outback :) , but if I was in the market today for an SAV/AAV/WTF, I'd be confused as all **** by the choices.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
The Forester feels much sportier, it is really a blast to drive. Handles better then some so called sport sedans. And in XT form it does 0-60 in 5.3 secs!!!

I believe it also has a longer and more usable cargo area.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
and the gent whose total car pmt on his 2 Subies each month is in the realm of $800-1000US wouldn't be just a BIT biased towards Subarus, would he?? even little fake subarus...:p (if an OBS is a fake OB, does that make an RS or TS a fake Legacy....??)

i suspect that a Froster drives abt like the OBS since it's essentially same chasssis. even my lady, who is abt as far from car-attuned as you can get, immediately noticed that my OBS felt like a hot rod compared to her CR-V. all those other vehicles use an inline 4 at least as base engine. it's hard to get around effect on CG that a vertical inline engine has in an engine bay that far off the ground....makes ya wonder why none of the other mfgrs have tried laying the inline over on its side a la the Previa minivan and the BMW K-bikes.

and it's hard to argue with 5.3 sec to 60 or 1/4 mile in high 13s (per C&D)....none of the mentioned competition will romp on stuff like Mustang GTs and 330i's..........

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
cptoversteer said:
even little fake subarus...:p (if an OBS is a fake OB, does that make an RS or TS a fake Legacy....??)
Got a chip on your shoulder cpt? :2:

I even praised your car just a couple of days ago! But you keep calling it a fake OB, not me! :whip:

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
naah, just picking up and running with PT's comment.....the term seesm to be coming into vogue among the OBsers. you may have created a monster here. :eek:

ironic, as i thought i was turning my car into a faux rex. maybe the WRX is just a faux OBS instead....??

·
OBXT Moderator, ,
2,417 Posts
cptoversteer said:
naah, just picking up and running with PT's comment.....the term seesm to be coming into vogue among the OBsers. you may have created a monster here. :eek:

ironic, as i thought i was turning my car into a faux rex. maybe the WRX is just a faux OBS instead....??
Sly, notice his gratuitous attempt to ingratiate himself by using the Francais?

cpt, did Hero really change your avatar?

The Forester crosses more with the RAV, I think--though it is larger. The CRV is a mini-suburban SUV wannabe (and perfect as such). They are all slightly underpowered--except of course the F-XT.

I've never even seen an X-Trail. I have seen the X-Files, however.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Mudge, isn't "ingratiating Texan" an oxymoron?

ingratiate myself? i considered getting a vanity plate reading "faux rex" last summer when car first started getting meaner. FWIW, the term is in such common use in the art world as to be essentially English now and thus not italicized (or would i need to capitalize the U to be Proooper English...??):p

to paraphrase Jefferson, "millions for hotrodding and upgrades, but not one penny in tribute"

(that Jefferson was a wise fellow, to have realized what a pile of crap the Mazda Tribute (exploder in drag) was, over 200 years before it came out.... :D

·
Registered
287 Posts
Anything that isn't full time AWD or switchable is definately off my list. I just think that I would like to know that while going around a corner on a wet road the system doesn't have to think about whether to go to AWD mode. I had an X-Trail for a week while the front of my car was being resprayed as I was impressed by a number of things.

The rear seat angle can be adjusted
Plenty of head room
Switchable AWD-2WD-AUTO
Power (132kw)

Unimpressed:
Gauges in the middle of the dashboard
Seats stain easily

Of course it drove like a vehicle with high centre of gravity. Driving the Forester (workmate's company car) is like driving a normal car and handling is in a different league. I even considered buying one before I got my OB.....

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
cptoversteer said:

Nah, the Rexx is a faux Porsche, and the STi is a faux race car!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
7 Participants
FastSly
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing