Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Black 2017 Outback Limited 3.6R
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Have just purchased a 2017 Outback 3.6R Ltd. I live in New Zealand so I presume our Outbacks come direct from Japan???

Anyway I notice that there is no rear 12v outlet....most models on here and in the handbook show one in the cargo area? Maybe the wiring is behind the panel were it is shown and I just have to fit an OEM one?

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
8,508 Posts
Your NZ Outback is indeed a Japanese built model - or at least I can say it's not a Subaru of Indiana Automotive model, and given that plant is Subaru's only non-Japanese assembly plant, it's a sure bet that your Outback is Japanese built.

Can't speak to your situation, but I can say there were some stripped US models built in the hard times of 2008-09, and they were shipped without the 12 V rear power outlet. Some owners tried to put it back in. Here's a thread on this; I'm not sure it ever decided if the harness was there or not:

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...51-adding-rear-power-outlet-my-2009-2-5i.html

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your NZ Outback is indeed a Japanese built model - or at least I can say it's not a Subaru of Indiana Automotive model, and given that plant is Subaru's only non-Japanese assembly plant, it's a sure bet that your Outback is Japanese built.

Can't speak to your situation, but I can say there were some stripped US models built in the hard times of 2008-09, and they were stripped without the 12 V rear power outlet. Some owners tried to put it back in. Here's a thread on this; I'm not sure it ever decided if the harness was there or not:

Thanks for the link and the info. I will take the panel off and have a look see?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5L Crimson
28 Posts
I understand the Outbacks sold in Australia they sell the 12volt socket as an accessory for it, (for not to much) so I assume some do not come with it as standard . I do not know about New Zealand, see if Subaru of New Zealand sells the accessory or order it from else where. Should be a simple install, read the instructions before buying to see.

I Have just purchased a 2017 Outback 3.6R Ltd. I live in New Zealand so I presume our Outbacks come direct from Japan???

Anyway I notice that there is no rear 12v outlet....most models on here and in the handbook show one in the cargo area? Maybe the wiring is behind the panel were it is shown and I just have to fit an OEM one?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I understand the Outbacks sold in Australia they sell the 12volt socket as an accessory for it, (for not to much) so I assume some do not come with it as standard . I do not know about New Zealand, see if Subaru of New Zealand sells the accessory or order it from else where. Should be a simple install, read the instructions before buying to see.

Thanks, you are correct. Found it listed as an accessory on the Subaru Aussie site, but nothing on the NZ one. Will order one online.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok went to the local car parts store today and purchased a generic 12v socket ($20) Took about 1 hour to install from start to finish. I can confirm the plug is in behind the panel. Panel easy to remove...3 screws and the rest just pops off. Pulled out far enough to drill the hole and fit the socket. Very pleased with the finished result. Pics below.... for reference for anyone that wants to fit one.

·
Registered
2016 OB 3.6R - Carbide Gray
1,297 Posts
It's hilarious to me some of the things they leave off for certain markets. It seems like economies of scale would better suit them to having the entire global fleet as similar as possible.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited
8 Posts
Ok went to the local car parts store today and purchased a generic 12v socket ($20) Took about 1 hour to install from start to finish. I can confirm the plug is in behind the panel. Panel easy to remove...3 screws and the rest just pops off. Pulled out far enough to drill the hole and fit the socket. Very pleased with the finished result. Pics below.... for reference for anyone that wants to fit one.

Nice work and good pictures.

·
Registered
MY10 Subaru Outback 3.6R Premium
32 Posts
Thank you so much for your great description & photos of the 12V accessory socket install. It made it easy for me to do the same to our Oz spec 2010 3.6R

The only concern I have is the apparently small gauge size of the existing pair of wires of the harness. I want to run a Engel MR40F fridge/freezer from it. Apparently the Engel has a maximum draw of 2.75 amps.

I also note that the #20 fuse is for the accessory socket in the under dash fuse box is shown to be 10 amp rating. Seems high compared to the apparent wire gauge.

Any opinions appreciated.

TIA

Dave

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Premium (USA 2.5i Limited/Touring)
15 Posts
18AWG wire will have a 1mm diameter copper core that can handle about 7 Amps.
16AWG wire will have a 1.3mm diameter copper core that can handle about 10 Amps.
14AWG wire will have a 1.6mm diameter copper core that can handle about 20 Amps.
So measure the core diameter and you will know the current rating, my guess is it will be 16AWG and 10 Amps.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Touring, 2015 Outback (sold), 2019 Toyota LC 200, 1998 Toyota LC 100, 1987 Toyota FJ60
768 Posts
It's hilarious to me some of the things they leave off for certain markets. It seems like economies of scale would better suit them to having the entire global fleet as similar as possible.
I agree. I used to have a 2000 Land Rover Discovery where LR decided to remove the center differential locking lever for the NA market for some reason. The rod was still there, it was just hidden under the plastic console. Drilled a hole in the plastic, remounted the rod with a knob, and I had a locking differential. So stupid.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.