Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am currently not really interested in buying a gen 5 Outback or Legacy because I want to keep my current car for a couple more years but I am sort of researching the brand at the moment. I figure if I wait a couple years I can get in the next generation Legacy/Outback. One thing I like in my cars is that maintenance and parts are not super expensive. While looking at general maintenance parts I can not find any aftermarket shocks or struts. I know Subarus are not high maintenance platforms but I'm a bit disappointed that there are no aftermarket options as OEM parts are usually really expensive. Gen 4's do have aftermarket struts. It's also nice to have options in shocks/struts too.
So what's the deal? Is this some kind of trend with newer generation Subarus?

Thanks

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,368 Posts
There aren't a lot of aftermarket choices for any Outback, and there certainly aren't any for the new model.

The number of Outback owners who change shocks without wearing out the first set is vanishingly small, and those first sets aren't worn out yet. In other words, there's no market... yet.

When you look at the older models, you usually find KYB (OEM), the junk monroes, the even junkier chinese ones and that's it.

Pricing should be in line with what you see for older Outbacks- there are no radical changes for the 2015+ part.

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,813 Posts
KYB were very affordable for my 06 WRX ($66 each from Amazon)

and OEM for many parts (no ,not all) is not 'horrible' - particularly from on-line dealers like fredbeansparts.com or subarugenuineparts.com

and, on 2 occasions, I had a local dealer match on-line pricing.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,474 Posts
KYB were very affordable for my 06 WRX ($66 each from Amazon)

and OEM for many parts (no ,not all) is not 'horrible' - particularly from on-line dealers like fredbeansparts.com or subarugenuineparts.com

and, on 2 occasions, I had a local dealer match on-line pricing.
I looked on rockauto when this was first posted,....no KYB struts listed for 2015-present outback. :|

Reactions: 1 Lucky Texan

·
Premium Member
17,813 Posts
^^^ interesting, seems like a legit complaint

even KYB's online catalog doesn't show struts for Outbacks newer than 2012 !

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Seems like after 3 years there would be some aftermarket options. I agree about KYB's, I have them on my current(non-subaru) vehicle and they are great.

·
Premium Member
17,813 Posts
maybe there's a non-compete time limit in their contract with Subaru?

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i
96 Posts
The legacy and outback cars don't have a big modding community so there really isn't an aftermarket for the cars. The most you'll find are "oe spec" aftermarket parts for older models that actually NEED replacement parts by now(like early gen 4s), or once the cars depreciate enough to where people don't mind hacking them up. Kinda like how you won't find aftermarket parts for a late model Mercedes S-Class other than the universal stuff like wheels, tires etc.

That being said even the most expensive subaru parts are still less than the Germans.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,390 Posts
One thing I like in my cars is that maintenance and parts are not super expensive.
that's largely dependent on the person doing the maintenance, and what you're coming from/what your expectations are.

New Subaru's aren't special in terms of parts and pricing respective to current market trends.

They are a *smaller* player in the automotive market and don't typically source cheap parts so the aftermarket offerings follow suite to some rough degree.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts