Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 Subaru Outback without Harmon Kardon and without navigation. I have the factory stereo installed. Replaced the factory door speakers both front and back with
Polk Audio DB 652DB+ Series 6-1/2" 2-way car speakers. The front speakers are able to play bass however neither rear speakers is able to play bass. Any suggestions as to why?

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Premium with Moon Hole.
85 Posts
If I had to guess, your head unit may limit how much bass goes to the rear speakers. In many cases, the more you turn it up, the bass is reduced to minimize damaging the stock speakers. Had there been more bass with the original speakers?

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Limited
1,367 Posts
I'm not an audio expert but I think there may be two possibilities.
1) the speakers are wired out-of-phase. This has the effect of the speakers canceling each other and sounds like there is reduced bass. The easy check is to move the balance off center and see if the bass response improves.
2) the new speakers simply require more power. Replacement speakers often are made to handle the power of an added amplifier. But that also means the stock stereo may not have enough power to really drive the new units well. Also check the impedance are matched with the rest of the audio system.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,612 Posts
if a speaker is out of phase, the bass can be greatly reduced.

·
Premium Member
2010 Legacy 3.6R Limited
1,300 Posts
Double check polarity. Can do this while hot if you're careful not to ground out a connector/wire.

Just disconnect one speaker at a time and see what happens to the bass. If it increases/comes back, reverse the wires and continue.

Or, ideally, just use a front sound stage and say eff-all to the back, but that's one of those scenarios that doesn't work for people with friends, family, kids, and the like.

Also, being flush with the door is really important. If they're not flat to a mating surface, some of the air pressure (the back wave) won't be separated from the front wave, and they're out of phase with each other and will cancel out acoustically right at the frame.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts