Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Ouback 2.5 CVT
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I was doing one of my routine inspections on my OB I noticed underneath there was nothing covering the Torque Converter and Drive Plate. :gasp:
I'm sorta shocked that the area in general is pretty much exposed. Debris could easily find it's way up in there. I see there's threads for a bolt, one on each corner but no plate. :confused:

I better not be the only one missing this. lol

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
It's benign. It seems like I see them mostly without that cover but I don't really look for it either.

I haven't paid attention to which have covers and which don't...but I have seen cover plates under that area before. I've thrown them away before because they're useless and I've seen them make noise before when bent up into the rotating assembly due to prior work, etc.

Is that image from opposed forces? If not, might want to check there if you want the part...or obviously go to the dealer and compare to those in the lot, call them.

·
Registered
2012 Ouback 2.5 CVT
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea I'm going to call the dealer to find out because it definitely looks like a cover plate is supposed to be there no doubt about it. There's two bolt holes perfectly in place for it.

·
Registered
2012 Ouback 2.5 CVT
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Normal.
It's been reported here, and also exists in other MYs.
Your correct there's no part that exist for that location, only on the Manual of course.

So then it makes me think why are there two bolt hole locations not used? Where it clearly looks like a cover is supposed to go there. Even the Tech agreed with me but his only explanation is that the CVT is a sealed unit so no biggie.

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i Prem CVT HK/AWP, Ruby Red Pearl
3,322 Posts
... why are there two bolt hole locations not used? Where it clearly looks like a cover is supposed to go there. Even the Tech agreed with me...
Not unusual on engine/tranny blocks… tapped for lifting/casting/machining/positioning/assembly production.

·
Registered
2012 Ouback 2.5 CVT
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not unusual on engine/tranny blocks… tapped for lifting/casting/machining/positioning/assembly production.
Yea we discussed about that too,he mentioned that it would be unlikely for those reasons being the location of the bolt holes, normally you will see them on the sides of parts plus there's usually a marking of some sort next to the hole.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
Good to check, but unused holes are common, there are unused holes on your vehicle.

Very common, on assembly lines they make one unit and use it in a variety of applications, including extra holes that aren't used on some applications, but are on others.

One huge run of parts that fit multiple applications is easier rather than reprograming, retooling, managing separate lots, storage, shipping, etc.

That front trans case could have been used on prior models, development for future models, or maybe the next Saab that wants to use Subaru parts. LOL

1 - 10 of 10 Posts