Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi just posting to see if anyone else has run into this problem i have a 98 subaru OB , my Dashlights and lights for the heater and shifting have gone on me, been doing some research to figure out what the problem is, can imagne all the bulbs went out at once, i came across the dimmer failing on the signal arm and that causing it to no light up the dash? i do remember playing with the dimmer before it all craped out, anyways just wondering if this has happend to anyone else or have you heard of this problem? before i go replacing the part :p thanks

·
Registered
1999 30th Anniversary Legacy Outback DOHC 2.5L 4EAT, 2008 Impreza WRX 2.5L 5MT, 2008 Impreza Wagon 2.5L 4EAT
1,224 Posts
Try setting the dimmer to a lower position. Could also be the Illumination Control Module. Did you put in a new radio recently?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it happend when i bought the car, not sure how long the aftermarket stereo has been installed for. Illumination Contrrol module? is that hard to locate?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well here is an update ive picked up an illumination control module and replaced it with no luck, fuses are all fine, i suppose its off to the wreckers for a signal control arm im guessing the dimmer switch has malfunctioned :(

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
**** so the signal control arm and wipers are all one unit . doesnt seem to be as easy job as i hoped, anyone else have to do this?

·
Registered
18,419 Posts
There's a long list of dashboard control and instrument panel illumination lights that should be on when the headlight switch is at either of its two On positions and the ignition switch is at On. It includes

AT select lever
Seat heater switches
Fog light switch
Hazard switch
Heater controls
Rear defogger switch
Radio/CD player
Cruise Control main switch
Instrument panel illumination

Are any of these working?

In addition, when the headlight switch is turned to an On position, and the ignition is at On, the external clearance lights at the front, and the tail and licence plate lights at the rear (all together aka "parking lights") should be on.

The interior control lighting and the external lights are on separate fuses, but the power to them all comes from the same source (tail and illumination relay). If the external clearance and tail lights work, then the power source is good.

Are you sure you checked the right fuse(s)? Did you check them for continuity, or just visually? There's one fuse that powers all the interior control and instrument panel lights. In the wiring diagram it's a 10 Amp in the cabin fuse panel. I don't know how it's identified in the Owners Manual or on the cover/door of the cabin fuse box.

That same fuse powers the illumination control module.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts