Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is nearly impossible to find a 2010 Outback where I live. Literally no inventory at all. Must be the hottest vehicle there is?? The dealers are holding prices high.

Most new ones I have seen the dealers as asking over sticker! :gasp:

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT/2019 Outback when I have to
208 Posts
We had NO problem selling our 08. Craiglist did good.

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Touring (Wilderness Green)
376 Posts
Yeah, depending on where you are at, the used market is a little insane.

The local Subaru dealers have maybe 3 used Subarus older than 2-3 years at any one time right now. Early Gen 2s are still going for 7-8k at the dealer. I've seen one listed at over 10k, although I don't expect that to sell anywhere near that price.

When I traded my 2001 for the 2013, I tried watching to see what the dealer listed it for, and it sold so quickly, I missed the ad entirely. And I was checking every other day.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 2019 Ascent Touring .... SOLD : 2015 Outback 3.6 w/ES. 18 Crosstrek, 04 Jeep Liberty Columbia. SOLD-13 Outback 2.5 SAP. Traded-10 2.5i Legacy Limited.
237 Posts
Yeah, depending on where you are at, the used market is a little insane.

The local Subaru dealers have maybe 3 used Subarus older than 2-3 years at any one time right now. Early Gen 2s are still going for 7-8k at the dealer. I've seen one listed at over 10k, although I don't expect that to sell anywhere near that price.

When I traded my 2001 for the 2013, I tried watching to see what the dealer listed it for, and it sold so quickly, I missed the ad entirely. And I was checking every other day.
My 2010 Legacy Limited (traded for the 13 Outback) was put back on the lot at what I paid in 2010 about $2000. under original sticker, wish I would have got that for it..:mad:. Dont know what it actually went for tho.

·
Registered
22,835 Posts
This is pretty much the case for nearly every used car regardless of make. I spent three months looking for a replacement for our old 93 Land cruiser. Dealers in CA love the used car market right now. The Auto group dealers even are doing no haggle thats our price and showing buyers adds from sister dealerships as if they are price comparisons. Price fixing? I'd say so. I had one Auto group call me after I walked away from a very legit offer. Head office in LA that owns much of the Norcal Toyota dealers. They asked me if I was still interested in the truck? I laughed and asked why? She says well we haven't sold it yet. I told her no surprise there your asking above its value and my offer stands. Then I told her that the sales manager set them up for a price fixing lawsuit and the phone call ended pretty quick. The same HQ person called me about a week later asked if my offer still stood I laughed and said no - I got a lower mileage vehicle for $3000 less private seller with all records which they could not provide for their vehicle.

A little tip - NEVER BUY A USED CAR FROM A DEALER! #1 Used car prices are not capped or controlled dealers can ask whatever price they want- the current used car market is expected to climb another 15-20% over the next 2yrs due to the extreme lack of fleet sales to Rental companies and lease contracts sold since about 2008. Due to this jump in used car values New CAR dealers are expanding their used car lots by ten fold given they see massive profits from the used cars now.

One local Toyota dealer 5 yrs ago only had about 10 used cars at any one time - today they have a back lot with over 200 used cars which get rolled to the front when they have a shortage of that type of vehicle on the very large 100 car used lot right out front. New cars are shoved over to the side lot and the sales guys all push a used car first when a potential buyer walks on the lot.

·
Registered
22,835 Posts
Not to mention if you list your car on Craigs list as a private seller local dealers will actually call you and make a low ball offer and try to get your car for their lot.

My 93 LC was selling for around $8000 back in 2004 with 100,000 miles on it. I sold it with 150K on it for $7500 a couple of months ago! Had a guy fly in and drive it 15hrs back home paid cash after a 10minute drive and inspection.

·
Registered
2012 2.5 Premium CVT PZEV
133 Posts
Reread his post. He's not talking about new 2010's...
Hmm, doesn't mention the word "used", does mention the words "new" and "newer".

And prices are under sticker here, so I have no idea what was meant, although I do see where the discussion has gone even with no additional input from the OP

·
Registered
166 Posts
"The value of an item is precisely what it will fetch."

- Armand Hammer (or somebody)

·
Registered
'11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT
1,766 Posts
I started to look at (used) 2010's in mid 2011 when I got my OB. I could not beleive the price on them. I paid roughly $3k more for my new, zero miles, car with a sunroof than a used 25k car with less options.

My local dealer, however, has plenty of 2010,11 and 12 used cars. They advertise that they try to keep 30+ used Subarus on their used lot, and they tend to stay pretty close. Prices are high IMO, but their inventory doesn't remain stagnant, so people are paying. As Rico said, it's worth what someone will pay.

Subaru has built a name for quality and bad weather ability. Where I live, with lots of hills and back roads that see little attention in the winter, they are very popular.

Not sure where you are or if you car to travel, but here's my local dealers inventory. 49 used Subarus 4 or 5 2010 OB.

http://www.louisthomassubaru.com/used-inventory/index.htm?start=32&make=Subaru&

·
Registered
2012 limited, white, no moonroof or nav
1,698 Posts
Supply of used cars is always tight with vehicles that people are happy with the ownership experience. If you see a lot of 1 or 2 year old cars of a given model, it is because people find reasons to not like them.

Where I live, there are a ton of 10-15 year old 4runners all over the place. But nary a one for sale. Same thing for late model Subies.

·
Registered
22,835 Posts
Supply of used cars is always tight with vehicles that people are happy with the ownership experience. If you see a lot of 1 or 2 year old cars of a given model, it is because people find reasons to not like them.

Where I live, there are a ton of 10-15 year old 4runners all over the place. But nary a one for sale. Same thing for late model Subies.
LOL Audi - smart people lease them hence why there are always lots of them for sale used. HA HA

I have a good friend who has leased Audi's for as long as I can remember. Why? He has several times now been given a new car even two new cars on his original lease when the dealers can't fix major issues with the car he had! He jokes its the only leased car program where you might see three new cars on the same lease contract. HA HA

I lost count of how many cars he has been given to replace faulty cars over the years but every time he said that his old car was seen almost instantly on the used car lot priced high and pitched as FANTASTIC condition RARE find etc. Even the wagon he had where the rear hatch would jam closed and even the dealer couldn't get it open was tossed out on the used car lot the very next day after they gave him a new car. HA HA

1 - 13 of 13 Posts