Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,144 Posts
Not surprised. Subaru removes every bit of core enthusiasm as the homogenize the brand. The only d*mn reason that the Ascent is getting boost is BECAUSE it works for cafe' req. It's small, powerful and comparatively efficient mated to the CVT.

Face it folks, there is only one way Subaru or nearly any car company will live over the next 20 years...the CVT. With ES, ADCC, Lane Departure and EV tech. Why on earth would anyone want to distract...or engage themselves in vehicle operations. Like a clutch.

I am very happy to have (2) 4spd 3 pedal cars from the '60s. That's the 1960 for all the kids out there.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
today while shoveling and blowing snow,...I was thinking about how nice old 80s / 90s VWs and hondas shifted.
(I need a 10 story garage to put such things in, vs. lots of garage doors to hide them behind and shovel the snow away from....

.I really need a heated driveway :9:).
_______

I guess you can still row your own in a regular cheap impreza / crosstrek, and a STI EJ

_______

I wonder how much volume the whole FA24T powerplant takes up, and if it can squeeze into the global platform impreza or forester.

(edit: and maybe the Forester XT will come right back out after a short break with a new engine ).

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited
550 Posts
2020 MY it will be no more Outback 3.6Rs. With these news, looks like Outback will be down to one engine too.
Looks like goal is to have single engine per model, probably to offer hybrid few years down the road.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Kills the Subaru brand for the toad option. Though I think that was easy to predict. I was talking to a buddy who is a big Porsche fan. I told him if I could swap the AT SLK350 I inherited for a manual Cayman I’d be super thrilled. He told me manuals in Porsche are nearly extinct and rare finds in cars built in the last 8 yrs or so. The Duel clutch auto is all the rage. Makes me sad given the Porsche is kinda the epic manual car combo one could ever have.

·
Registered
06 3.0R JDM facelift SI Drive-shift paddles. 87 Brumby EA81 (Brat) 4MT D/R
613 Posts
:crying: The dumbing down of cars etc to soul less sameness with associated electronic aids for the inattentive.

Thank goodness still have my 30 year old Brumby (Brat) MT D/R with NO electronic trickery apart from lights and fan in heater and radio / cassette player (insert for MP3).

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,358 Posts
I'm convinced that MT automobiles will have to be produced for the European market into the foreseeable future - it's what consumers want. Even when the CVT typically gets better mileage, and even with fuel at a premium over there. So at least it's not going out of production.

But what that all means for us in the western hemisphere is, I guess, "not much".

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Its a smart cost / supplier move too.
Its not a new thing. Heck Mercedes basically only has one transmission used in all its light duty vehicles. I think they are down to two gas engines and two diesels to. The v6 gone to the turbo 4.

It does make it easier to find parts yrs later though! Fewer special versions and minor diferences to figure out when trying to replace a part etc.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts