Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 97 OBW that I recently picked up. Power locks don't work at all - previous owner didn't have the key fob for the keyless entry either. Car is equipped with factory keyless, even has a sticker stating something about an alarm but I haven't seen any sign of it.

Wondering if there's a common problem that pops up with these regarding the locks - does a fuse go bad, a short on one of the switches that might cause the whole system to be inoperable? Everything else on the car works great, including the power windows, just have to lock each door and the hatch manually from the inside or with the key - kind of a pain.

Also, does anyone know, would the dealership be able to sell me a new fob for the keyless system if I took the car in? I'm guessing they know the lock/unlock codes based on VIN, correct?

Thanks for any input :)

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
18,113 Posts
you can get fobs from ebay and cars101.com will have the procedure for synchronizing the fobs with the car. It can be tricky to do and, since you're not sure the system is working, it might be best overall to let your dealer handle the entire problem so you're not stuck with fobs you can't return or other frustrations regarding the issue.

·
Registered
01 Outback H6 VDC, 97 GT wgn w/ ej22, 98 OBW w/ej22
1,401 Posts
remote entry / alarm units are wired in so that they interrupt the power lock stuff. it varies for different years, but they are always linked into the power lock system. so ''no locks'' on a car with remote entry / alarm issues is not unusual.

but it is not conclusive either.

the remote entry / alarm unit is located under the dash, driver side, mine is black, about 5'' x 6'' x 1''. it has at least 2 connections on one? side but one may not be used. and there will be a single wire about 8'' - 10'' long hanging out of the box. this is the antenna. take a look.

if it is not there, that is probably why your locks do not work.
if it is there then .... idk. i guess it could be bad, but i have not heard of that happening.

but it could be that the lock switch on your driver door is screwed up and that is why they do not work.

is the ''warning'' label a factory subaru label? does it warn about ''remote start'' or just remote entry?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I did a little more digging. The label near the battery under the hood is a factory label - refers to the security system going off when you reconnect the battery.

I checked the fuses - the fuse for the power locks had been pulled. I put a new one in and found out why - for whatever reason, the security system acts up when the power locks have power. There's an audible clicking in the security system box (factory sticker on it, under dash by left foot), and the dash lights and the 4-way flashers keep cycling on and off. The power locks do work when the fuse is in.

There is a "hidden button" for the security system, and when I turn the key in the ignition and press and hold this button for a while, nothing changes - the security system keeps clicking and the dash/4-ways keep flashing.

Like I mentioned, I don't have a key fob for the keyless/security, so all I can use is the "hidden button" under the dash.

Would love to figure this out and get the power locks to work without the security system acting up...any ideas? Can the darn security thing just be unplugged do you think, or would that cause other issues?

Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts