Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Outback LDF MSRP $37,383
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drove my car for the first time in a downpour....Cannot figure why there is no rain gutter above the doors. Now I have to train Carol to take a double swipe across the roof just above the door she's going to use before entry....can't figure a way to exit , though, without dirty rain water dripping on my almost white leather. Doesn't it rain in Japan......I know it rains in Indiana.

·
Registered
Formerly 04 Outback 3.0R VDC, now 2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS DiD
1,617 Posts
There are groove in the roof inside the carry bars that are meant as rain channels I believe. There's only the small section between the carry bar and the door to drip then, which I haven't found to be much of a problem, but then we are going through the worst dry spell in 80 years or something here...

·
Registered
'04 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport H-4 4EAT Platinum Silver Metallic
195 Posts
Yep, I think that roof rail groove might be what Subaru expects to guide water away. I don't think it could do much in a heavy rain while parked or stopped but I have been out in rain a few times these past couple months and can only remember seeing a few drops come through an open window or when the door was opened from directly off the car itself.

Haven't seen it during a heavy downpour yet, since I've only been driving along at those times with windows up.

Maybe a rain gutter sort of thing could be added easily by just putting a thin strip of black rubber or clear plastic along that edge above the doors. For example, I bet electrical tape could be stuck along the underside of that edge and create a gutter. So if something more permanent were used, but similar to that tape, it would be the perfect guide for rainwater.

Then again, if it's raining at all you always get a little wet no matter what. ;)

{Edit: now that I've looked at it I see there's already a piece of trim bordering along the top of the door openings that might channel water front or back. Something to watch for in the next deluge.}

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Further to my previous comments on this it occured to me there's a major difference between the USDM MY05 and the AUS MY04 which is that the roof rails on the AUS spec cars actually are joined to the roof, thus preventing rain/water from the centre of the roof going towards the doors. I've also had the chance during heavy downpours (summer storm season here now) to find that some water does drip on you as soon as you open the door if the car is wet. It's not a serious problem, but it does happen.

Cheers,
Karl

·
Tokyo's between my toes
2001 Wintergreen Outback 5MT
6,684 Posts
Sometimes I think that decent rain gutters were a casualty of aerodynamic streamlining, regardless of make/model of car. They're bad on my 98 OB and bad on my 92 LeSabre.

·
Registered
2002 Outback, 6 disk changer, limo tint, yakima rack system; crossbars. In the winter Yakima Platinum Pro 18, summer mako saddles. Front cover. Hakka Q tires for winter time use. 70K miles and sti
50 Posts
tlippy said:
Now I have to train Carol to take a double swipe across the roof just above the door she's going to use before entry....
how anal is that, poor carol:yodaddy:

·
Registered
05 safety 5 speed
98 Posts
Ah the joys of a leather interior combined with a worrying mind - I reserve that for the 928. I have found though that I cant open my window more than a mm or two in rain without getting wet while driving. They do offer 'weathershields' of a sort, but they are only maybe 20-25mm wide, attached to the roof edge and A pillar. A$200+ fitted here. Does any body have them fitted, and can they comment on any change in wind noise levels please?

jp 05 OBW 5MT 2.5i

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,684 Posts
*G* and for those of us in snowy climes, how about that nice handful of snow that falls across your driver's seat when you first open the door ... handy to have a snow broom in hand.

Hey maybe I should start a "show us your scrapers and wipers" thread...

·
Registered
05 safety 5 speed
98 Posts
Yes, you snow prone bunnies are much worse off than us drought prone guys. Reminds me of fishing stores about getting a wet arse and no fish....
jp 05 OBW 5MT 2.5i

·
Registered
1999 Legacy Outback M/T EJ25
96 Posts
Yeah, here in denver we are usually hammered with snow during the winter...every other week. the other week is 60 degrees and sunny. But this year hasn't given us anything. The total precipitation for this month was .002 inches. TOTAL!!!! I bought my subaru for snow and what do I get the first season I have it? JACK S***

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Hehe I bought mine for the wet roads, has rained like 10 days the whole year that I've been on the road.

BTW I still think the roof bars being raised on the US version means you cop more rain running down into the door opening.

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,684 Posts
Well today we have 1 - 3 inches of snow and for the next two or three days the winds will be 20 - 30 mph.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Ltd 5MT Champagne
2,715 Posts
I personally never noticed the problem with rain. As for snow falling in, every car I've owned has done that. That's why I first wipe the snow off the top of the door with my hand before I open it.

Why would you want to drive with a window opened in rain?!?

We have heavy snow coming down right now, expecting 6 inches... My wife just said she ran out of butter, time to dirve down to the village :D

·
Registered
05 safety 5 speed
98 Posts
When you have rain outside, low temps that need a heater on some, and you drive for any length of time, the inside of the car gets a bit muggy/humid, and this makes me nauseous and/or drowsy. Very few car ventilation systems these days provide cool/cold fresh air at the face level vents if the heater is on, so if you need fresh air, you can only get it opening a window.... and without a gutter or weathershield, you are going to get wet.
jp

1 - 14 of 14 Posts