Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Outback 2013 2.5 Limited
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am a new Outback owner from Ontario, Canada.
My Outback is 2013 2.5 Limited which is 3 weeks old (or new).
I just realized that there is no button to open the rear lift gate.
From the owner's manual, it is supposed to be located lower-left of the dashboard, but in my car there is no button there but just button-looking plastic cover without a open-trunk symbol.
I tried to push it to double-check if it works, but definitely it is not a button.
Is it something normal???
So far, I open the rear gate with key, but I am wondering if there is other people who have the same issue.
Your response would be much appreciated.
Thank you.

Andsimpson

·
Registered
2012 Outback Premium Ruby Red Pearl 2.5 CVT AWP
401 Posts
I don't have one in my '12 Premium either. Can't believe Subaru missed that one. Huge mistake IMO.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
That button is a trunk release for 4-door Legacy models only. Without a power rear liftgate feature I think that a trunk release button on the Outback would be pointless.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 i Premium
474 Posts
The Outback and Legacy share an instruction manual. There is usually a disclaimer that it's for Legacy only.

On the Outback you have to go back there yourself and press the button above the license plate. They figured you were going to be back there anyway so why put a redundant button on the dash.

·
Registered
2011,premium,2.5
646 Posts
No power no open just fyi,there is that panel dead bottom center where when opened u can get to the latch other then that...u can try to make one would be kinda cool to have done

·
Registered
Outback 2013 2.5 Limited
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you folks!

I guess I will have to live with this.
Thank you very much folks for your reply, I appreciate it!

Andsimpson

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
And while we are at it, let's ask Subaru to make the gate a mechanical and not an electric release.
If the battery dies or the motor fails, how do you open it?

·
Registered
35 Posts
And while we are at it, let's ask Subaru to make the gate a mechanical and not an electric release.
I've had that exact issue happen. Pain since that's where I keep my jumper cables.

As far as why I need an auto opening liftgate - it's very useful if I'm carrying something to the car in the rain (open with button on fob) or if my short pregnant wife or young kid need to get into the rear hatch. Right now, I need to get out to open and close the rear hatch for them.

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5i, 2011 WRX Limited
84 Posts
There is a manual release on the inside of the hatch door, near the bottom center. Pop the cover off and use a screwdriver to release the latch.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,018 Posts
Hopefully there's no cargo in the back you have to offload out the rear door to to get to the inside of the rear hatch.;)

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
Why not read the owner's manual? I guess not that many people do....

·
Registered
2012 Legacy 2.5GT-L
314 Posts
So the owners manual doesn't actually say it's just for the Legacy right at the picture, but the heading for that section is "Trunk Lid (Legacy)" and the button is called the "Trunk Lid Opening Switch" and wagons don't have a trunk... the next section is the "Rear Gate (Outback)"...

That being said, if the rear gate release is electronic, I bet you could wire in the switch from the Legacy so that you could open the rear hatch the way you want... (you'd have to run some wires, but it should be pretty do-able

·
Registered
2016 Carbide Gray Limited with Moonroof, Nav, and Eyesight
906 Posts
Slightly confused by this issue. The hatch will not open itself if the latch is released, so a remote latch opener would not lift the gate. You have to manually lift the gate, so simply releasing the gate latch would not be much of a benefit. Since you have to manually lift the hatch/gate, the extra maneuver to touch the gate release button is not much of a hindrance. Now, if the thing would open itself, with a button on the dash and maybe on the key fob, like the in laws van, (it will also close remotely) then we would have something desirable.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited w/eyesight
119 Posts
That being said, if the rear gate release is electronic, I bet you could wire in the switch from the Legacy so that you could open the rear hatch the way you want... (you'd have to run some wires, but it should be pretty do-able
Here is a schematic of the wiring for the trunk/hatch. A button that supplies a ground to pin c10 will provide a method to unlock the hatch from the driver's seat. Unfortunately, as already noted, this will not open the hatch completely. I can see the advantage of this in allowing someone not familiar with the rear latch to just grab the handle and open it without the drive having to exit the vehicle to assist. A legacy button can probably be procured for this mod, although I'm not sure that the wiring is there so some mods will have to be done for that.

Attachments

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
Legacy which we have - uses the key fob no button under the edge of the trunk lid.

OB - has a button under the edge of the trunk lid.
Not sure what the big deal is?

Our old legacy had a release inside the car which actually broke at about 35,000 miles - living in SF where we Valet park a bunch I had no interest in fixing it given you couldn't keep anyone out of the trunk no way to lock the trunk release like our same year VW which has a locking mechanism that prevents the trunk from being popped open by the valet. Subaru valet key will not open the rear trunk or the rear hatch on either car.

The new Gen4 cars fail this due to the rear seat flip down can't be locked which our 2001 VW also does.

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Outback Premium
7 Posts
There is a manual release on the inside of the hatch door, near the bottom center. Pop the cover off and use a screwdriver to release the latch.
Has anyone seen any mod for this that would allow you unlatch the rear gate from the inside?

I frequently sleep inside the vehicle, usually with the rear gate open to allow the fresh air to circulate. However, on those cold or rainy nights when I keep it closed, it's a real pain in the ass to contort one's body to slide out the rear passenger door, especially if you're sharing the car with another sleeper. I'd love to rig something whereby I could just pop and lift the rear gate from inside.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts