Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New here. Just bought outback. First for me. Im usually a Chevy man..lol anyway I got stuck in grass other day. No rear shaft. Missing flange to flange. I know few reasons why. Bad joints,removed for towing or bad clutches in rear diff. Buying junkyard shaft. Can't find New bolts that I need to use. Size ? Strength? Anyone know. Cant find any on Subaru parts sites. Thanks. Oh need 9 of them..

·
Registered
01 Outback H6 VDC, 97 GT wgn w/ ej22, 98 OBW w/ej22
1,401 Posts
they have a 12mm head, but that is all i know.

you may be able to find the part number at opposedforces.com/parts .

if you do find a number for them try https://www.subaruonlineparts.com/oempartscat.html . or just call them and ask.

but the easy solution is to go to the dealer parts counter, or call them. they can find the part number and give you a price. even if they cost $1 each it is less than $10. if you ask (tell them you can save over 20% online) they may sell them for wholesale price.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
post in the parts wanted forum here or USMB - i probably have some, you'll need 8.

in stock form they are 12 mm heads and 1.25 pitch. Almost positive they are M8x1.25 with a 12mm head.

you can go to the parts store or hardware store but you have to be careful since the heads on those are usually larger for the same size thread/pitch - and there isn't much clearance on the one side of those driveshafts. the heads of the bolts actually capture against the flange on some (all?) of the driveshafts, making it easier to install/remove them so you don't have to hold both sides.

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,935 Posts
It is probably important the bolts have the right diameter and length for the unthreaded portion, too.

·
Registered
2000 Outback Limited, Dual Range 5 Speed
904 Posts
Should have kept them from the vehicle you pulled the shaft from. If you bought off the self then go to your nearest self serve yard and pull them yourself, don't really know why you would want new. They rarely fail on most cars.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,318 Posts
I would be interested to know how the front portion of what's left of the driveshaft is being held in place in the back of the transmission without losing fluid or whether its just sealed off with something.

You may also want to check the fuse box under the hood and see if there is a fuse in the FWD slot. There is a reason someone left the driveshaft out. Could have been stupidity. Could have been a shadetree or inexperienced mechanic didn't know what he/she was doing.

When you get the driveshaft in, and have removed the FWD fuse, be leery and careful with the first movement of the car.

You will also need the 2 bolts that hold the center carrier up. 10x1.25 about 30mm long with a 14mm hex head.

·
Registered
5,935 Posts
I had thought the rear section of driveshaft could be bolted off, leaving the front portion held in place and carried by the carrier bearing.

·
Registered
01 Outback H6 VDC, 97 GT wgn w/ ej22, 98 OBW w/ej22
1,401 Posts
I had thought the rear section of driveshaft could be bolted off, leaving the front portion held in place and carried by the carrier bearing.
this is true.

and yes, chances are very good that the car will have torque bind when the drive shaft is re-installed.

·
Registered
2009 Subaru Outback 2.5i 5sp Manual
355 Posts
I am slightly confuse, may be a stupid question, but if you pulled the drive shaft and everythign worked fine what would happen? Would that cause the same problems that towing with two wheels down cause? or would it be ok, because something is still spinning?

·
Registered
5,935 Posts
I am slightly confuse, may be a stupid question, but if you pulled the drive shaft and everythign worked fine what would happen? Would that cause the same problems that towing with two wheels down cause? or would it be ok, because something is still spinning?
It's not that removing the shaft caused a problem, but that someone removed the shaft because it had torque bind.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts