Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I want to change the stereo on 1997 Outback. The one I have right now makes loud "pop" noises when I change the volume, and it does not have AUX connection.
I got the radio and the harness, soldered wires on the harness and hooked everything up. New radio lights up, power antenna is going up but there's no sound. I connected a home cinema speaker to the radio to see if any sound is coming out, and it works.
I have the 1997 2.5L Limited Outback, with what I think is Weatherband Radio. There is an extra connector that goes straight to the CD player (underneath the radio) that has two cables, I did not connect it (there's no place for it in the harness). I took the door panel out and the speaker runs with two wires and has a plastic connector, not a regular speaker connectors I usually see. I have attached two images of the connector, I can provide more if anyone wants some.
Any idea why would the sound not be coming in to the speakers? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,621 Posts
The smaller harness is for illumination on Subaru accessory CD players. Evidently the engineers didn't think the DIN cable would carry enough current. It doesn't connect to anything if you're running an aftermarket head unit or if you didn't have the accessory CD player.

Did you use a mating harness or cut the end off the factory harness and wire directly to the dash harness?

Check resistance across each of the four speaker wires at the dash harness. Should be about 4-8ohms across each one. Any less and you've got a short which might be kicking in some sort of protection circuit on your new head unit. Any more and you've got one or more blown speakers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I used a harness, I did not cut any cable. After checking all the speakers turns out rear left was blowing the sound - I disconnected the speaker, but it still does that. I'll run a new cable tonight, through the door and into the "between doors" plastic cover, then underneath the seat to the console. I don't know why this particular cable is blowing the fuse. It's not shortened, speaker itself is fine too.
Even with speaker disconnected after connecting the wire radio protection is turning on. I'll get back to you guys once I get the new cable running.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update - I have laid new speaker wire, it was not that difficult. I got it exactly like the original one, through the door and under the plastic doorstep cover. Everything is running perfectly now. Thanks for all the help, this thread can be closed now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts